Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone in this post could confirm for me that a ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA14-50-L23 model will work for me for my R1S. Want to make sure I didn't buy the wrong model. Expecting delivery in October. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes it will work. The R1S, as does (essentially) all other EVs, uses the J1772 protocol for AC charging in the US. By and large, as long as the EVSE and the EV both "speak" J1772 they will be able to negotiate a charge session.

One related thing to note though is that the Flex model you listed has a NEMA 14-50 plug on it. Depending on where you live (most places in the US at this point) you will be required to install a GFCI breaker to the receptacle you plug that EVSE into. GFCI breakers have been reported to cause charging sessions to be interrupted. If your JHA requires a GFCI breaker you may be better off with the hard-wired version of the Flex. (It's the same charger just without the plug pigtail)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for quick responses. I assume this is the lower speed L2 charger correct? Should I be installing a 60A system? I will look into the hard-wire version. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
CPH50-NEMA14-50-L23 has a NEMA 14-50 plug, which can deliver 40A to your vehicle. But that charger is designed so that the plug can be removed so you can hardwire it to a 60A circuit and deliver 48A to your vehicle.

Installing the charger requires you to either install a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50A breaker, or alternatively you can hardwire the charger with a 60A breaker.

·
Registered
R1S LE in LE Green & Forest Edge (8/14/2019 Preorder) Oct-Dec 2022 Arrival
216 Posts
Land vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Thank you very much for quick responses. I assume this is the lower speed L2 charger correct? Should I be installing a 60A system? I will look into the hard-wire version. :)
I had the L2 Charge Point hardwired with a 60A breaker. So far it works great with the HD Livewire while waiting for the R1S so I cannot speak to any problems or successes yet.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had the L2 Charge Point hardwired with a 60A breaker. So far it works great with the HD Livewire while waiting for the R1S so I cannot speak to any problems or successes yet.
What kind of charge rate do you get on the LiveWire?

I looked at them when they first came out but at the time it seemed that they only supported L1 or DCFC -- no L2. I'm curious if that information was wrong, or if they've improved the charging options?

·
Registered
R1S LE in LE Green & Forest Edge (8/14/2019 Preorder) Oct-Dec 2022 Arrival
216 Posts
What kind of charge rate do you get on the LiveWire?

I looked at them when they first came out but at the time it seemed that they only supported L1 or DCFC -- no L2. I'm curious if that information was wrong, or if they've improved the charging options?
Charge rate is SLOW. L2=L1 rate with zero difference. But, 0-100% charge overnight on L1/L2. DCFC is great with a battery that small. I don’t know why there is no gain from L2? Forces better care for the battery? Already doesn’t have great range as it is that any diminished capacity would be sad.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Charge rate is SLOW. L2=L1 rate with zero difference. But, 0-100% charge overnight on L1/L2. DCFC is great with a battery that small. I don’t know why there is no gain from L2? Forces better care for the battery? Already doesn’t have great range as it is that any diminished capacity would be sad.
An too bad. It seems like a Zero May still be my best bet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hoping someone in this post could confirm for me that a ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA14-50-L23 model will work for me for my R1S. Want to make sure I didn't buy the wrong model. Expecting delivery in October. Thanks.
[/QUOTE}

I have a ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA14-50-L23 on a 60 amp breaker. It works just fine with my R1T. At its peak it puts back about 25 miles per hour in range. You can schedule the charger through the app, but our cost/kWh is constant, so I haven't bothered to try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts