Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else seeing that the charge port likes to auto-open when you're washing the truck (ie spray water on the charge port door)?

I've been trying to figure out why that would possibly be a feature and not a bug and struggling....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone else seeing that the charge port likes to auto-open when you're washing the truck (ie spray water on the charge port door)?

I've been trying to figure out why that would possibly be a feature and not a bug and struggling....
My $.02: That still has to be a bug that Rivian needs to fix. You have to think that even if you are not washing a car, but instead, there's heavy rain, or lawn sprinklers for that matter, the charge port door should NOT be able to be triggered. I see the issue that you're experiencing as a problem!!! We definitely should not have to put the vehicle into car wash mode for instances such as those described above.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My $.02: That still has to be a bug that Rivian needs to fix. You have to think that even if you are not washing a car, but instead, there's heavy rain, or lawn sprinklers for that matter, the charge port door should NOT be able to be triggered. I see the issue that you're experiencing as a problem!!! We definitely should not have to put the vehicle into car wash mode for instances such as those described above.
the charge port will only open when the vehicle is parked, unlocked, key is present, car wash mode is not enabled, and the capacitance sensor is triggered. Even if the charge door is opened, it will automatically close (and disable the sensor) when the vehicle is put into Drive.

The "problem" you describe is non-existent. When you're parked in the rain, you're vehicle is usually locked and key is not present -- so the charge door won't open.

Even in the very narrow case of unlocking the car and getting in to drive (key present) if the charge door did activate in those few seconds, it would automatically close when you tried to drive it.

It's just a capacitive sensor. Water on that area changes the capacitance, so it activates. No different than a phone or smart watch with water on the screen.... It affects what "taps" are registered by the device.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts