Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at Plugshare on a road trip route my family takes about once a year. I found it hard to tell if the chargers are available for use or since most seem to be at hotels if they are for guests only. Am I missing something in the info on the app? The drive is 8.5-9hrs with a gas truck, so I would only want to stop at next to route super/fastest possible chargers to limit down time. There are just so many options along the route, Orlando to Blue Ridge mountains, it's overwhelming.

This is one of my wife's biggest concerns with EVs, and trying to make sure I get the right info.

· Registered
1,116 Posts
I would also use ABRP and charge between 10-80% only for a trip like that. I have had decent luck on the East Coast with EA stations (not all, but most), and you can always dial up their support or the support for ChargePoint or whoever IF you do have an issue. The Rivian software for longer drives and the UI for locating efficient stops automatically based on state of charge isn't bad. If you are more concerned about charging infrastructure being operational, maybe plan stops with 20% or a little more buffer. you won't gain ANY time at all by charging in the full band (from single digits to 100%), in fact you will lose time. Only time I would charge to 100% would be leaving the house and if you need a super long run to make the next charging stop.

· Registered
47 Posts
I was looking at Plugshare on a road trip route my family takes about once a year. I found it hard to tell if the chargers are available for use or since most seem to be at hotels if they are for guests only. Am I missing something in the info on the app? The drive is 8.5-9hrs with a gas truck, so I would only want to stop at next to route super/fastest possible chargers to limit down time. There are just so many options along the route, Orlando to Blue Ridge mountains, it's overwhelming.

This is one of my wife's biggest concerns with EVs, and trying to make sure I get the right info.
I sent a picture of my iPhone folder with the 6 apps I have installed for charging to some Tesla friends and said "the life of a non-Tesla EV owner". I have plug share, EV Go, EA, ABRP, Shell Recharge and one called charge way that I haven't used yet.
if I understand what you're asking, as you're getting close to a charger, you can open that charger's app and it should know exactly the status of the individual charger's at that location.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts