Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
95 Posts
Hi all,

Can I charge a Rivian at a Tesla public charging station using J1772 adopter? If so, what kind of charging speed should I be expecting?
Using a Tesla Tap adapter, you can charge at any Tesla destination charger or Wall Charger. You cannot charge at a Supercharger, as your vehicle does not contain the required handshaking for dcfc in the NACS standard.

NACS to J1772 adapters are made by both Lectron and Tesla Tap, be sure to get one that is at least rated for 48 amps for use with the Rivian.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using a Tesla Tap adapter, you can charge at any Tesla destination charger or Wall Charger. You cannot charge at a Supercharger, as your vehicle does not contain the required handshaking for dcfc in the NACS standard.

NACS to J1772 adapters are made by both Lectron and Tesla Tap, be sure to get one that is at least rated for 48 amps for use with the Rivian.
Thank you my friend. I appreciate the clear answer and recommendation. This is what I'm planning to use. It should work, right?

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
95 Posts
Thank you my friend. I appreciate the clear answer and recommendation. This is what I'm planning to use. It should work, right?

That will work. I have that exact model in one of my EVs, and it has never let me down.
👍

· Registered
16 Posts
As to your second question, the charging rate you see will not necessarily be at the full 48 amp rating of the adapter. It also depends on the output settings of the Tesla wall unit which can vary from location to location. I've visited a number of Tesla destination chargers that had been dialed back into the 30A range, likely due to limits on the existing electrical service.
Your best bet is to check your specific destination in the PlugShare app or website. Previous users will have posted the output they saw from the charging station.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As to your second question, the charging rate you see will not necessarily be at the full 48 amp rating of the adapter. It also depends on the output settings of the Tesla wall unit which can vary from location to location. I've visited a number of Tesla destination chargers that had been dialed back into the 30A range, likely due to limits on the existing electrical service.
Your best bet is to check your specific destination in the PlugShare app or website. Previous users will have posted the output they saw from the charging station.
Thank you! I have a Tesla and a Tesla home charger in my garage, but when I travel to Austin TX, there are no Rivian chargers there, so that's probably where I will be using J1772 adapter at a Tesla charging station to charge my future Rivian. There are plenty of public Tesla charging stations in Austin. I'll check the output settings of some of them as you suggested. Much appreciated :) 🙏.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts