Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, question about charging at home. Does the R1 come with a "charging cable" similar to the Tesla cars? Or is the only way to charge at home with the $500 wall charger? I'm already set up in my garage with the 240V 50A power line, so I can add the wall charger. However, with the Tesla cars, I would just plug the mobile charging cable into the outlet. I havent seen much info about this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe that the Rivian will come with its own cable (think it's on the website) but you can ask customer support for a more definitive answer.

It sounds like you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet already in place (4-pole 240v/50 amp receptacle, with 2 hots, a neutral and a dedicated ground). That should be all you need to charge the Rivian, assuming that cable that will come with it has a matching 4-pole male end. I'm not an expert in EV charging systems however, just someone familiar with wiring electric ranges. Hopefully someone with EV experience will confirm or failing that, set me straight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all, question about charging at home. Does the R1 come with a "charging cable" similar to the Tesla cars? Or is the only way to charge at home with the $500 wall charger? I'm already set up in my garage with the 240V 50A power line, so I can add the wall charger. However, with the Tesla cars, I would just plug the mobile charging cable into the outlet. I havent seen much info about this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just at the testdrive at Sonoma Raceway today, they had a really nice little display/booth about charging with knowledgeable folks (nice work Simon). The truck comes with a "base" level charger, that can plug into either a 110 or 240v plug for charging - I think you'll want a 50-amp circuit, and you'll get something around 16mi/hour. The wall charger is more like 25mi/hour, and requires a 60-amp circuit. The base charger goes nicely in a compartment at the bottom of the frunk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
See How do I charge my Rivian vehicle at home?
For the quickest and most convenient way to charge at home, we recommend using the Rivian Wall Charger — capable of providing up to 25 miles of range per hour at a 11.5 kW charging speed. The Wall Charger is weatherproof for indoor or outdoor use, has Wi-Fi connectivity for OTA updates and is covered by a 5-year warranty.

Rivian vehicles also come standard with our Portable Charger which can be easily stowed in your garage or front trunk. The Portable Charger is capable of providing up to 16 miles of range per hour with a 240V outlet — and can be used with standard 120V outlets for a slower charge.

Learn more about charging at home and on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm leaning towards just using the portable charger, but some states do have incentives and rebates from the power utility to get a Level 2 charger installed (brands and rules vary by state). In GA where I live, the Rivian wall charger would qualify for a $250 rebate from the power utility (if installed by Dec 31st....). Maybe the GA program will get renewed again in 2022.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
155 Posts
I'm leaning towards just using the portable charger, but some states do have incentives and rebates from the power utility to get a Level 2 charger installed (brands and rules vary by state). In GA where I live, the Rivian wall charger would qualify for a $250 rebate from the power utility (if installed by Dec 31st....). Maybe the GA program will get renewed again in 2022.
Rivian charger is hardwire only, keep that in mind. I have a NEMA14-50 outlet with a JuiceBox charger just waiting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, if I switch over to the Rivian, I can disconnect and remove my NEMA 14-50 and hardwire the Rivian charger. But I also have to upgrade my breaker to 60A to get the max out of the Rivian charger. So maybe just chill with the portable cord and possibly add a juice box 40 down the line. My panel is maxed out but I'm really trying to find a way to free up some room to switch from a gas water heater to electric hybrid heat pump water heater. Oh, sorry, thought this forum was for Rivian and water heaters....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Right, if I switch over to the Rivian, I can disconnect and remove my NEMA 14-50 and hardwire the Rivian charger. But I also have to upgrade my breaker to 60A to get the max out of the Rivian charger. So maybe just chill with the portable cord and possibly add a juice box 40 down the line. My panel is maxed out but I'm really trying to find a way to free up some room to switch from a gas water heater to electric hybrid heat pump water heater. Oh, sorry, thought this forum was for Rivian and water heaters....
Welcome to the home wiring forum! I think you've reached the point @DSK_SOBU that it may be wise to consult an electrician to be sure that you have sufficient capacity.

If you have say, 200 amp service, and are already using most of that current for other devices, it won't matter if you have plenty of room in your box to add additional breakers; adding another circuit that will draw 60 amps will overload things. Should you need more capacity, you will have to upgrade your service sufficiently. This almost surely means running new higher capacity lines from the service head to the meter, then new higher capacity service entry cables to a new higher capacity box. Not a particularly difficult endeavor, but a fairly expensive one.

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
8 Posts
These Rivian's have large batteries and will take serious amperage to charge them in an acceptable amount of time. IMHO, wall chargers are the only way to go with an EV. I have a 40 amp level 2 charger at home to charge my Kia Soul EV. My home charger is noticeably faster than public 30 amp level 2 chargers. If you return home from a road trip with 25% left on your max pack, it's 18.75 hours to return it to full charge with the included charger, and 12 hours with a 60 amp wall charger. That seems worth the investment to me!

I think having a decent wall charger and paying an electrician to install is just part of owning an EV. I guarantee you will be happier with a faster charge rate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
These Rivian's have large batteries and will take serious amperage to charge them in an acceptable amount of time. IMHO, wall chargers are the only way to go with an EV. I have a 40 amp level 2 charger at home to charge my Kia Soul EV. My home charger is noticeably faster than public 30 amp level 2 chargers. If you return home from a road trip with 25% left on your max pack, it's 18.75 hours to return it to full charge with the included charger, and 12 hours with a 60 amp wall charger. That seems worth the investment to me!

I think having a decent wall charger and paying an electrician to install is just part of owning an EV. I guarantee you will be happier with a faster charge rate.
Good points. Also the convenience of keeping the included charger in the truck in case you need it in a pinch, is worth the $500 to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts