Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I have my charger in the garage however I am only able to park in the driveway. I wanted to ask for ideas on how to charge in the driveway with the garage door closed. I prefer not to leave the garage door partially open with a gap for the cable. I am thinking of cutting a rat hole through the garage door to pass the charging cable. Are there any good options for making a cutout in the garage door or other ideas?

· Registered
R1T
39 Posts
Just a suggestion.. If you are going to do this- do not put the hole in the door itself as that would severely limit your ability to open/close the door to access your truck. I'd suggest that you put the hole in the wall, next to the door, near the truck. maybe use a lockable hatch on the outside. of course, the real answer is, clear out the garage so you can park it inside... just sayin'.

Reactions: Ducksause

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I would just notch the trim on the side of the door, at the floor. You can slide the cable into the notch and still have full use of the door and a perfect seal against the ground.

Alternatively, they make gaskets that go over the cable to protect it and if your garage door already has a thick rubber gasket on the bottom, you can probably close the garage door and make ground contact with the cable passing through. https://www.amazon.com/SplashNcolor-Charging-Garage-Through-Protector/dp/B09F13GL3D

· Registered
68 Posts
We cut a hole in the wall next to the door, and it works great (looks ugly, but works LOL) . . . one thing to note is that you need a hole large enough for the charging handle, we have a 4" hole for this purpose.

Note, we don't bring in the cable each night, so we have a hook to loop the cable onto during the day and only pull the cable in if we are traveling. When we do pull the cable in we have a cap that screws onto the hole so its not open to the elements while we are away.

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply

Audio equipment Electricity Gas Cable Electrical wiring

· Registered
3 Posts
Same situation for us. I installed the charger in the garage and replaced the seal for the bottom of the garage door with this...
I set the garage to stop once the seal was touching the ground.
Works great, does not crush the cable at all, and still has a good seal. Super happy with the solution.

As a note, I also installed this on the outside...
In case I don't want to open the garage door to put the cable back. Rarely used, but it's nice when needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts