Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla owners will say it's great. But wow, really sucks.

Most CCS chargers are 50kw if you can even find one. In my area I searched and most chargers on plugshare are 6kw, would take days to charge.

And the 50kw stations usually offer 32-48. So like 3 hours+

Wonder how long before this improves.

Tesla opening their network in EU is the solution, but unfortunately our connections are different here.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
71 Posts
It's clearly up to others to make the effort to build it and for provincial and federal governments to incentivize this. I know that Electrify Canada, which should be leading the way has been VERY slow with it's rollout. Currently, it looks like it's at around 30 across Canada but primarily in between BC/Alberta and Ontario/Quebec along main corridor routes. I'm still thinking that they're reflective of VWs "effort" in terms of dragging it's feet. They've been around for 3-4 years now and little to show for it. Canadian Tire (Ivy), Petro-Canada and others are also doing it. Flo - that company needs to go! I've got no clue why they've been able to get funding for the L2 50kW chargers and terrible infrastructure.

As you mention, PlugShare is your best option to help with determining those chargers nearby, but you'll also have to look at each vendor to see what they're offering and what their plans for the future is.

Personally, I'm on the fence about Tesla Superchargers getting opened to everyone, as many EVs on the road cannot exploit the higher charging rates, which will lead to backlogs for Tesla owners. I would HATE to be sitting there while a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt charges for hours on end. There would need to be a minimum level of 150 kWh charging rate on the vehicle to even consider it - it would have to be gated somehow to stop the others from getting to it.

I agree, though, with the infrastructure as it is currently in Canada will make purchasing a Rivian a tougher decision. I suspect that this issue will last for at least 8-10 years unless something significant happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts