Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on my current knowledge a Tesla is unique when compared to a Prius or the Porsche or the Audi when it comes to charging ports. With ElectrifyAmerica being the charging network for Rivian, Lucid, Porsche, Audi, VW, MB, BMW, Ford etc does that mean everyone is using the same port on their cars? If so could you, in theory, use the charger for your rivian to charge an Audi?

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are generally 4 connectors in use in the US: Tesla, J1772, CCS type 1, and CHAdeMO.

Almost all vehicles, including the Rivian, use J1772 for Level 2 charging and CCS type 1 for DC fast charging. In general, these vehicles and chargers are completely interoperable with each other (unless a Rivian network location decides to only sell to their customers).

Teslas use their own proprietary connector for L2 and DC Fast, which can be adapted to interoperate with J1772 and CHAdeMO equipment (I don't believe they have an adapter to CCS type 1).

The leaf and some other EVs of that era used J1772 for L2 and CHAdeMO for DC Fast. I believe even newer North American Leafs have come around to CCS type 1 though.

So yes, you can charge an Audi from your at home Rivian L2 charger. And there's no reason you would need to buy Rivian's charger for your home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts