Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that recently crossed my mind that I want to pick people's brains on is charging more than 1 EV at home.

Including your upcoming Rivian, how many people will have more than 1 EV at their home? If you'll have more than 1, how do you plan on charging both of them?

I can see it being tricky, especially if you have a Tesla or depending on the layout of your house/garage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You just keep adding more dedicated charging circuits until you need a bigger panel, which you get. It's just money. Doing it on the cheap is the only tricky part.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just keep adding more dedicated charging circuits until you need a bigger panel, which you get. It's just money. Doing it on the cheap is the only tricky part.
ahh gotcha, that makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Tesla 3 and had two NEMA outlets installed in my garage this summer. Was just thinking ahead. My wife and I are keen to leave ICE cars behind... We've put a deposit down for the Rivian R1S and we're really excited about it. I wanted the new Defender so much, but it only offers 19 mpg and that's just not going to cut it for us. We could wait for the hybrid version that will reportedly reach the UK next year and offers 85 mpg, but there is no launch date for that vehicle in the US.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Some of the home chargers can be hooked to the same circuit, and will load balance between themselves. So both can be plugged into cars at the same time, just each car charges at half speed until one is done. Or like others have said, add a circuit per vehicle. You just have to watch what your household consumption is so you don't overrun the power you have coming in. I have an older house so I only have a 100amp service to the house. I am going to have the max load tested (everything on and measure). If I am close to 100amp draw, I will be upgrading to a 200amp service in. If not, will still be scheduling all charging to night when I don't have much draw and the AC is usually off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm almost afraid to open up my original Configurator and play with options for fear of messing up and losing my original Launch Edition. To the point of this thread, I seem to recall the Launch will include some form of assistance in having a home charger installed. Did I read or hear something to this effect during a call to the Engagement Team, or am I just dreaming? Although the Engagment Center staff advised that I could set up another Configurator under a different sign-in, I did so, but the Launch Edition is now sold out and unavailable to check this possible feature.

I have a Cadillac ELR that takes a J1772 input and would love to have one system installed that could charge both vehicles at the same time. The Cadillac (like it's sister, the Chevy Volt) comes with a portable charger that maxes out at 12 amps on a 110 volt circuit. I know that with the CCS charging system, the J1772 will also work on a Rivian, but on a 110 volt circuit, that will be a long wait time for any real range to be added. Aftermarket systems from Bosch and others get wildly different reviews online and I've been reluctant to order one. With the R1T and R1S coming soon, I'm hoping Rivian will have options for 240 volt chargers that may accommodate our needs with a safe and reliable option.

I'm guessing a number of us are coming to Rivian with Volts, Bolts, Leafs, and other EVs and PHEVs already in our garage. Some lucky people on the forum have multiple Rivians coming soon. As such, I'm hoping we get some options to address multiple vehicles from one professionally installed home 240 volt unit.

Has anyone heard or read any information regarding charging unit purchase and/or installation assistance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Tesla 3 and had two NEMA outlets installed in my garage this summer. Was just thinking ahead. My wife and I are keen to leave ICE cars behind... We've put a deposit down for the Rivian R1S and we're really excited about it. I wanted the new Defender so much, but it only offers 19 mpg and that's just not going to cut it for us. We could wait for the hybrid version that will reportedly reach the UK next year and offers 85 mpg, but there is no launch date for that vehicle in the US.
RLRCSTR, I have not heard about the new Defender being offered as a hybrid, but that would be a great one to consider, should it ever hit our shores. I was surprised to see the range that you listed (85 mpg). I am guessing they used that funky, non-real world European System for determining range? If so, I am assuming we'd see lower, but still great mileage here. Regadless, that will be a fun one to check out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm almost afraid to open up my original Configurator and play with options for fear of messing up and losing my original Launch Edition. To the point of this thread, I seem to recall the Launch will include some form of assistance in having a home charger installed. Did I read or hear something to this effect during a call to the Engagement Team, or am I just dreaming? Although the Engagment Center staff advised that I could set up another Configurator under a different sign-in, I did so, but the Launch Edition is now sold out and unavailable to check this possible feature.

I have a Cadillac ELR that takes a J1772 input and would love to have one system installed that could charge both vehicles at the same time. The Cadillac (like it's sister, the Chevy Volt) comes with a portable charger that maxes out at 12 amps on a 110 volt circuit. I know that with the CCS charging system, the J1772 will also work on a Rivian, but on a 110 volt circuit, that will be a long wait time for any real range to be added. Aftermarket systems from Bosch and others get wildly different reviews online and I've been reluctant to order one. With the R1T and R1S coming soon, I'm hoping Rivian will have options for 240 volt chargers that may accommodate our needs with a safe and reliable option.

I'm guessing a number of us are coming to Rivian with Volts, Bolts, Leafs, and other EVs and PHEVs already in our garage. Some lucky people on the forum have multiple Rivians coming soon. As such, I'm hoping we get some options to address multiple vehicles from one professionally installed home 240 volt unit.

Has anyone heard or read any information regarding charging unit purchase and/or installation assistance?
This is from the support page.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hope they will have a list of electricians that can install the chargers like Tesla has on their website.
I’m new to all of this but my gut is telling me I should just get the electrician to just run the 240 with the nema 14-50 plug and just NOT hard wire the charger so there can be more possibility. I know Rivian will have a charger that I’m sure will plug in the same, on down the road maybe see if they have the powerwall option like tesla has. Seems like more opportunity there. I know I’m thinking of two EV’s in the future but for now, Rivian is my first. Was hoping to get installed this year to take advantage of the credit but wanted to wait for more specifics from Rivian so will wait it out because it sounds like you buy the charger and they can help install it, but if it’s just a plug, the hard part should have been done already so I’m not clear on how exactly that’s gonna work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts