Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While traveling from Medford, Oregon to Bend, Oregon yesterday I passed by the first bank of Rivian chargers that I have come across on Hwy 97. Unfortunately, no R1’s charging but still very cool to see. I’m 2 years into my pre order and apparently no deliveries will be happening in Southern Oregon until 2024 due to lack of service infrastructure but it’s still fun to see the growth and dream…..

· Registered
670 Posts
Thanks. Looks ambitious at 3,500 chargers. None in my PDX-Astoria area in the future though. I've run into Rivians, one towing a travel trailer, at the EA chargers in Warrenton. I'll be dependent on EA in Warrenton (4) and EVCS in Astoria (1).

With Tesla sales falling, they might follow through and open up Tesla chargers (8 in Seaside) to CCS.

Alternative would be put a camper down there and use the 30A L2.

· Registered
670 Posts
If you want some input at your state level on the EV charging network, here's a link to all the state plans resulting from the EV infrastructure bill. With the original stated goal of 500,000, the government backed plans look to match gas stations. Gas stations with convenience stores are 70,000 with 8 pumps each average, 560,000 pumps. That rough equivalence should make the goal of all EV's by 2035 possible.

Looking at OR's, it looks like a good plan with 75% being fast DC chargers future proofed to minimum of 150kW to 350kW capability.

With FY22 funding ODOT aims to build out I-5, US 97, and I-205. I-5 is one of the most critical, high-traffic
routes in the state, and US 97 is a key route through central Oregon that carries high traffic volumes and serves
both urban and rural areas. I-205 serves high traffic volumes in the Portland metropolitan area and travels
through or adjacent to numerous disadvantaged communities (DACs).

· Registered
1,116 Posts
According to the Rivian Charging Network page on the Rivian website, the following map shows ALL of Rivian's current RAN chargers, destination chargers & planned charger sites in all 6 New England States. I intentionally cut-off RI and CT, b/c apparently there is a Long Island NY site (not New England) coming and the Icon for the station was overlapping onto CT and RI.
Map Water World Geological phenomenon Geology

· Registered
5 Posts
(Admitted competitor here to be clear though reservation holder as well / one man's opinion / not here representing my employer) The RAN as a nationwide proprietary fast charging network no longer makes much sense in the face of the NEVI plan increasing other charging by an order of magnitude, really can't make sense economically as a "walled garden" like Tesla's but with a hugely smaller customer base and the structure of electric rates being what it is, doesn't have nearly enough staff or investment to succeed at that scale, and is a major management and capital distraction from a company with higher priorities. Read carefully in the announcement of the disaggregation of the monthly subscription and you will find a big walkback in geographies. I have to believe that ultimately that's the first step in the fast charging corridor part of the RAN essentially going away.

· Registered
670 Posts
hugely smaller customer base and the structure of electric rates being what it is, doesn't have nearly enough staff or investment to succeed at that scale
Rivians network, anyone's network, will be very profitable if it can achieve high utilization. Tesla's charging network is contributing massively to Tesla's profits. We see the larger SC's with lines. Trick will be will Rivian owners be going to the places Rivian puts its chargers. The NEVI (that is the 500,000 charging network being built out from the "Build Back Better" Biden bill) will provide a network of fast chargers comparable to current gas pump deployment) will be providing the base charging network for the US. Rivian can always open up its chargers to the public.

I'd see Rivian's network more as an advertisement for it being an off road EV. Put them at trails end type locations that bikers use for going off road, that type of thing where the NEVI chargers may not get to but high income demographic drivers do.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
109 Posts
Not if others are waiting to charge...
Not to mention that the places with chargers are typically not the same place you are looking to spend your entire day!
So put more chargers at the places people leave their vehicle parked for long periods. This isn't complicated.

· Registered
5 Posts
"Rivians network, anyone's network, will be very profitable if it can achieve high utilization." - Agree -but the RAN which it absolutely cannot unless and until it opens up to the public (at which point it's even more of a distracting side gig)

"Tesla's charging network is contributing massively to Tesla's profits." - It's not even close to break even actually in and of itself. Sells cars though!

"Comparable to current gas pump deployment) will be providing the base charging network for the US." - Agree, and in fact somewhat oversupplying the market for a few years. Even when there's 100% EV adoption there will never be a comparable number of EV fast charging stations to gas pumps. (People don't have gas pumps in their driveways - but they do have L1 chargers.) There'll be something like 15 - 20% as many DCFC as there are gas pumps. More if young people stop owning cars and it's a more Uberish world.

"I'd see Rivian's network more as an advertisement for it being an off road EV. Put them at trails end type locations that bikers use for going off road, that type of thing where the NEVI chargers may not get to but high income demographic drivers do." - Agree. Their level 2 destination charging at trailheads etc., makes a fair bit of sense and you can build, oh, call it 40 level 2 parking spaces for the cost of one fast charger. That's why I'm only saying the fast charging part will go away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts