Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Rivian R1S on order. I already own a Tesla Model 3 and have a Tesla wall connector at home in my garage (48 amp output). Should I buy a Rivian home charger or should I just buy a Tesla to J1772 charging adopter to charge my future R1S through my existing Tesla wall connector?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're keeping your M3 and have room in your panel, install a second L2 48A EVSE. The Rivian has a BIG battery and if you drive both, sharing the EVSE will be a pain.

If you're keeping your M3 and don't have room in your panel, install a second Tesla HPWC in "power sharing" mode so you can have both charging at the same time.

If you're not keeping your M3, just get the adapter. Lectron supports full 48A. Save yourself some money.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
But how does the charging speed compare between the charging adaptor and Rivian home charger?
Depends on which adapter you get and how your Tesla Wall Connector is configured.

As long as you get an adapter rated for at least 60A and your Tesla Wall Connector is configured for 48A charging (and on an appropriate circuit) then you'll get the fastest charge rate the R1S can handle (same as with the Rivian Wall EVSE).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. My Model 3 Wall Connector does output 48A. So, I will go with the adapter option and see how that works first since that is the cheapest route.

Yes, I do plan on keeping my Tesla M3. I typically charge it over night. When I get the R1S, I'll just alternate charging each vehicle. I'll charge each one every other night.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
66 Posts
Thanks guys. My Model 3 Wall Connector does output 48A. So, I will go with the adapter option and see how that works first since that is the cheapest route.

Yes, I do plan on keeping my Tesla M3. I typically charge it over night. When I get the R1S, I'll just alternate charging each vehicle. I'll charge each one every other night.
That's similar to what I'll be doing initially, but rather than use a "Tesla tap" I'll just slow charge the truck on a 15A circuit.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you're keeping your M3 and have room in your panel, install a second L2 48A EVSE. The Rivian has a BIG battery and if you drive both, sharing the EVSE will be a pain.

If you're keeping your M3 and don't have room in your panel, install a second Tesla HPWC in "power sharing" mode so you can have both charging at the same time.

If you're not keeping your M3, just get the adapter. Lectron supports full 48A. Save yourself some money.
This^^^. I also have a Model 3 and The 2nd Tesla HPWC in power share is my plan regardless of if my EV truck is a Rivian, CT, hummer, or Silverado.

·
Registered
401 Posts
120V charging on an R1T is less “slow charge” and more “no charge”.
Well it will probably “work” if you go regularly 2-3 days without driving the truck. Although I agree with you, in the winter I charge my model 3 on 120v at my cabin. Most of the time I’m lucky to get 20% in 24 hrs and the M3 battery is almost half the size of the R1T

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well it will probably “work” if you go regularly 2-3 days without driving the truck. Although I agree with you, in the winter I charge my model 3 on 120v at my cabin. Most of the time I’m lucky to get 20% in 24 hrs and the M3 battery is almost half the size of the R1T
We charged our Model Y on 15A at an AirBnB in Colorado for the entire month of January. Granted, we were working from the house and running a few errands during the week and then doing our big driving on the weekend, so we had 4+ days of charging in the middle. Then on the touring trips we'd hit the Superchargers. But we'd get back to the house Sunday evening with less than 10% battery and certainly by Friday night it'd be 90% (whatever we set it to) and ready for the next cold weather outing.

15A is about 1.5kw continuous to the vehicle. My commute is 60 miles round trip, and I'm under the impression this vehicle will do 2+ miles per kwh, so I'll need to put 30kwh back in. That'll take a day and a half. Sounds perfect for alternating vehicles.

There's also a ChargePoint 7kw charger in my work parking garage which I might take advantage of ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
We charged our Model Y on 15A at an AirBnB in Colorado for the entire month of January. Granted, we were working from the house and running a few errands during the week and then doing our big driving on the weekend, so we had 4+ days of charging in the middle. Then on the touring trips we'd hit the Superchargers. But we'd get back to the house Sunday evening with less than 10% battery and certainly by Friday night it'd be 90% (whatever we set it to) and ready for the next cold weather outing.

15A is about 1.5kw continuous to the vehicle. My commute is 60 miles round trip, and I'm under the impression this vehicle will do 2+ miles per kwh, so I'll need to put 30kwh back in. That'll take a day and a half. Sounds perfect for alternating vehicles.

There's also a ChargePoint 7kw charger in my work parking garage which I might take advantage of ;)
I’m in Alaska. We have very few destination chargers. The closest one to ma cabin is 140 miles away and my house is only 60. We only have one super charger in the entire state.

I’ve had a Tesla for going on 8 years (S then 3), I have never used the range battery meter. To me it just dosn’t make sense. on 120v in the summer I can get up to 2% every 3 hours which equates to 2 miles per hour @rated range. In the winter though when temps are below 0F and the roads are snow covered my range is cut by 40-50%. Also charging speeds (especially on 120v) really slow down in the colder temps. I’ve had it plugged in there from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon and only gained the equivalent of 15 miles, in a Rivian that would be more like 9 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this but would love to sanity check before I plunk down $160. This would have been a huge help on a recent trip to a small town that only had Tesla chargers.

This will allow me to charge at Tesla charging stations (non-super charge), yes?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this but would love to sanity check before I plunk down $160. This would have been a huge help on a recent trip to a small town that only had Tesla chargers.

This will allow me to charge at Tesla charging stations (non-super charge), yes?

It will allow you to use Tesla "Destination" chargers. NOT superchargers. Using PlugShare as the info source and Des Moines as the location it would be these.

Ecoregion Product Map Rectangle World

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's similar to what I'll be doing initially, but rather than use a "Tesla tap" I'll just slow charge the truck on a 15A circuit.
Suggest reading threads on 120V charging. I've gotten 20-40 miles in 24 hours depending on conditions and whether GearGuard was active. The plug in charger that comes with the vehicle never seems to draw more than 800W. Sometimes it takes 3 or more hours to register that the charge was starting. I only drive once or twice a week so I thought the 15A charging would be fine for me but it was very unreliable so I bought the Rivian Wall Charger and love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,

I have a Rivian R1S on order. I already own a Tesla Model 3 and have a Tesla wall connector at home in my garage (48 amp output). Should I buy a Rivian home charger or should I just buy a Tesla to J1772 charging adopter to charge my future R1S through my existing Tesla wall connector?

Thanks
I've gone with the adapter and had no issues (except the price - $156). I have the R1T and a Tesla. Opens up many options on the road as well. Compatible with all Tesla chargers except the DC high rate ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts