Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I got my R1T May 2 and have put over 4000 miles on her.

Adventure began in earnest two days after it arrived.
Driving first to West Virginia (a charging desert)
WV to Chicago (Pennsylvania also a charging desert)
Chicago - Cleveland - Vermont (home)
Vermont back to West Virginia. Will be returning to Vt on Sunday.

There was a thread I read about a Boston to Charlottesville journey and the experiences shared about the challenges of using the onboard navigation and sorting out charging we parallel to mine.

Electrify America offered the most service in the regions I have driven.
Using the Plug Share app helps locating chargers

Have other questions about charging
Sometimes I charge and am paying between $20 -$25
Other times $5 to $12
Obviously - charging for longer to gain more miles would cost more. Only It does not always seem that way. Has anyone else found that to be the case?
Does anyone have a spread sheet that I could put information of the charge KW and time? For instance at a 350 kW vs 150 kW in actuality - how many kW is my vehicle receiving per minute.

Also some discussion on places to stay that typically have chargers. I hope to do a lot more road tripping.
Bari Shamas
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
481 Posts
For instance at a 350 kW vs 150 kW in actuality - how many kW is my vehicle receiving per minute.
Car should tell you the rate. Lots of things affect the rate, battery temp (lower is slower), current state of charge (higher is slower). Batteries charging curve which you won't know until Rivian publishes it or one of the reliable EV testers provides it. Some charge curves drip sharply after 30% (Tesla for example) while others allow top charging speed up to 50% (Porsche).

I think Rivian is top rated for 200kWh which you'll only see with a warm battery with a 10% state of charge on a 350kWh charger.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Did you check how they were charging you? Some states do not allow to charge by kWr so have to charge by the minute. The station should tell you how they are charging and what the cost is.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Everyone who has questions about fast-charging the Rivian should watch this video. It's somewhat technical but you'll see the charging curve, which explains a lot of the things people find confusing.

Also, just as a reminder, kW is a rate; the rate at which electrons flow. It's the product of voltage and current.
kWh is the amount of energy. If you charge at 100kW for six minutes (which is one tenth of an hour), you will have added 10kWh: 100kW * 0.1 h = 10kWh.
Here's another example: Let's say you're at a standard ChargePoint charger, whose maximum is 50kW. One hour will give you 50kWh (minus some losses, perhaps 4%).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,
I got my R1T May 2 and have put over 4000 miles on her.

Adventure began in earnest two days after it arrived.
Driving first to West Virginia (a charging desert)
WV to Chicago (Pennsylvania also a charging desert)
Chicago - Cleveland - Vermont (home)
Vermont back to West Virginia. Will be returning to Vt on Sunday.

There was a thread I read about a Boston to Charlottesville journey and the experiences shared about the challenges of using the onboard navigation and sorting out charging we parallel to mine.

Electrify America offered the most service in the regions I have driven.
Using the Plug Share app helps locating chargers

Have other questions about charging
Sometimes I charge and am paying between $20 -$25
Other times $5 to $12
Obviously - charging for longer to gain more miles would cost more. Only It does not always seem that way. Has anyone else found that to be the case?
Does anyone have a spread sheet that I could put information of the charge KW and time? For instance at a 350 kW vs 150 kW in actuality - how many kW is my vehicle receiving per minute.

Also some discussion on places to stay that typically have chargers. I hope to do a lot more road tripping.
Bari Shamas
View attachment 6453
Indeed this video is very helpful. And you are right it is nerdy and in all the right ways. Thank you @sciencegeek. There was another article referencing charging on the trek across America that confirmed that all chargers do not deliver the kW evenly. The video speaks of charging curve. There is a learning curve for an older non geeky yet excited to be a part of this agile transformation of our transportation network and our planet. I do love her, this planet and want to, savor her beauty, respect and protect her for future generations.

As I write this, I want to thank all the people who have given their hearts and brilliant minds towards a healthy and thriving future.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The R1T is my first fully electric vehicle. I've been learning a lot, and still have lots to learn. For example, today I was at a 50Kw EvGo Fast Charger location, as I have a lot of driving to do tomorrow, so I set the Charging range on the R1T's U/I to "TRIP" in order to fully charge-up. 1 hour into my charge, I rec'd a message that "CHARGING STOPPED". I return to the truck and find that I have about 218 miles of range (in all-purpose mode), and the charging session stopped after exactly 1-hour...

I guess my question is this... If you are going on a trip and want to fully charge, should the vehicle FIRST be placed into "CONSERVE" mode prior to the charging session? Or, is it possible that some stations just boot you out of the charging session prematurely? In my case, charging stopped exactly 1 hour after my session started.

Here are my charging details for reference. I am just a plain old "pay as you go" EvGo customer:

The total duration of this session was 01:00:01 and the energy charged was 49.367 kWh. Your total cost for the session was $19.13.

Also - I should mention that there is an Electrify America station right near the EvGo location, however the 50Kw chargers have been broken and unavailable for weeks. Does anyone proactively reach out to complain or report inoperable stations? Is it even worth the effort to notify someone of this? Thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
I guess my question is this... If you are going on a trip and want to fully charge, should the vehicle FIRST be placed into "CONSERVE" mode prior to the charging session?
No. The energy you get from the charger will be the same, independent of driving mode.

What you're seeing is that the Rivian display will give you a range estimate for your current state of charge based on your driving mode. But that estimate doesn't affect the current state of charge.

Or, is it possible that some stations just boot you out of the charging session prematurely?
Yes, some stations will limit the time you can charge. If you want more time just unplug and restart the charging session.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Also - I should mention that there is an Electrify America station right near the EvGo location, however the 50Kw chargers have been broken and unavailable for weeks. Does anyone proactively reach out to complain or report inoperable stations? Is it even worth the effort to notify someone of this? Thanks
From their website:
The Electrify America Customer Assistance team is also here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Dial the toll-free number at 1-833-632-2778.
It never hurts to report a broken charger. They might know about it, but maybe not. Regardless, if a lot of people are reporting it that might bump up their priority for getting it fixed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Here are my charging details for reference. I am just a plain old "pay as you go" EvGo customer:

The total duration of this session was 01:00:01 and the energy charged was 49.367 kWh. Your total cost for the session was $19.13.
Also, it's probably worthwhile to sign up for the $4.99/month membership - that would have saved you about $3.50 on this charge alone ($0.99 for the session + $0.05 per kWh), so if you're going to charge more than once a month you would easily break even.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, agreed. I have come to the determination that I should sign up for more than EV America (after that experience)... I have an account with them already, but will probably add EvGo too. Thx

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Can you provide any information on what you are seeing for energy usage on your trips? I’m really interested in what people are seeing for watts/mi at interstate speeds (75-80mph).
I’m getting around 2 miles per kWh with a mix of mountain interstate and around town driving. Interstate driving is ~80mph.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts