Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I need some advice/input. We live in Ann Arbor, MI and have a cottage in Marquette, MI (450mi).
There is a EA DCFC in Gaylord (235mi from destination). 150kW and 350kw.
The last one is Mackinac City, MI (165mi from destination) 62kW.

What's the best strategy for charging. Go to 100% in Gaylord, and stop for a "top off"?

I understand the charging slows above 80%.
Advice is appreciated!!

· Registered
590 Posts
I'd hammer it to Gaylord, charge there to 90%, and then drive a little more conservatively to the cabin.

P.s.: You might want to give EA a call; their app and web site do not currently show the Gaylord location, whereas Plugshare does show it with successful charges on 9/30.

P.p.s.: Large pack, right?

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
114 Posts
The best way to make charging stops as time efficient as possible is to only charge enough to reach your next stop. Any more is wasted time. Tesla encourages arriving with 10% in the battery. I often shoot for around 5% in my Model Y. On longer legs of a trip those estimates can drift quite a bit. I don't have my Rivian yet but on a Tesla screen while you're charging you can have the navigation displayed and it will show you the estimated arrival percentage of your next destination.

· Registered
4 Posts
Charge to 80% in Gaylord and then charge to ~60% in Mackinac City (I am assuming a 25 mile reserve at 60%. You can adjust that up or down based on your comfort with and knowledge of your Rivian’s efficiency). The Rivian’s charge curve drops to ~50KW above 80% charge, so you’ll be better off charging in MC at 62KW than waiting to charge at 50KW above 80% in Gaylord.

Check out the InsideEVs article on the Rivian’s charge curve below:

· Registered
590 Posts
Charge to 80% in Gaylord and then charge to ~60% in Mackinac City (I am assuming a 25 mile reserve at 60%. You can adjust that up or down based on your comfort with and knowledge of your Rivian’s efficiency). The Rivian’s charge curve drops to ~50KW above 80% charge, so you’ll be better off charging in MC at 62KW than waiting to charge at 50KW above 80% in Gaylord.

Check out the InsideEVs article on the Rivian’s charge curve below:
I disagree because the charge curve of the R1T ...

... shows that it only drops to less than 62.5kW at ca 80%. So basically, you'll never want to make a ChargePoint unit part of your plan. Keep it as a backup in your plan in case the faster chargers are unavailable, but don't use it in your planning.

· Registered
4 Posts
Assuming that you can‘t make it to the final destination on 80% charge, which is the case in this scenario, it doesn’t make sense to charge past 80% if there is a faster charger (even though it is only 62KW) further along in the trip. The stop in MC will be much shorter to gain the required range than charging to a higher SOC in Gaylord. No doubt that a 62KW charger is slow, but it is relative to the charge rate that the R1T can take above 80%.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Yeah but it's an extra stop, so spending a couple extra minutes charging to 90% is better than the extra stop
Not necessarily. When I road tripped in ICE vehicles I found I had to stop more often than the vehicle needed to refuel. Don’t charger longer than necessary on any given stop if you can make it to the next stop and charge again there.

Also, the fastest ‘cannonball’ runs seem to be when the teams stop more often and unplug early.

· Registered
687 Posts
Yes...charge to 100% at home to start is always the best strategy. Longer range and faster charging when you do charge if you use the range to get to a charger with 10%. Longer range so you can driver faster, any unplanned route changes even if no charging advantages.

Fast DC charging and 100% charging if done infrequently, won't impact the battery degradation and range loss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts