Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to charge your Rivian while driving? That sounds odd but but I am building an off-grid tiny house so I would have a battery bank and a charger on the trailer. So then I had a thought of what would happen if I tried to charge while driving? In a perfect world the battery bank of the house would just act as a second battery to the truck. I must confess I don't currently own a Rivian but it is on my list of future purchases. One big draw back for the Rivian for me though is the miles in one charge and the length of time to recharge. I love the idea of having an electric truck (I currently own an electric Harley), but I want to travel between states with a decent sized trailer. But if I could somehow allow the truck to draw power from the house while towing it, I could just have a massive battery bank to allow for minimal to no charging stops along the way. In my head, I have several ideas to accomplish this from just plugging in a charger while driving to studying the wire diagram to see if I could somehow load my battery bank in parallel with the truck's. I know for my Harley that it won't allow me to turn the engine on while plugged in. I don't know if that is to prevent me from ripping the cord off the wall as I speed away or if the system can't handle charging while using the motor. Any thoughts or opinions? I feel like this could open up uses for the truck as you could easily extend the battery life of the truck if your needs call for it, but there is the draw back that it has the potential of being so complicated to accomplish that it might not be worth it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a slight recharging while braking; I believe it's called regenerative braking. It might add something like 1-2% to your range, so it's far from a one to one ratio of discharge and charge.

Oh, yes, and you can tie it to the back of an 18 wheeler and while being towed thusly apply slight braking pressure while the car is in reverse. Tres practique!

Bottom line for all practicality is, no, the car does not charge to any relevant degree as you drive. Plug it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts