Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Beatty has a single chargepoint CCS unit. (The others are J1772 and chademo). Never go on a road trip without having enough juice to make it to the fast next charger if the one you're targeting is out of commission.

Road trips with EVs are a breeze if you plan correctly. If you're just la-dee-da'ing it you might find yourself in an uncomfortable place for longer than you want.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't forget, your Rivian includes "off-roadside" assistance, so they'll tow you to the nearest charger for free if you get stuck with an empty battery. (I expect they will alternatively "jump" charge your vehicle right there if the service truck has that capability.) So, while this would not be a pleasant experience, at least you won't be totally stranded. Unless there's no cell signal, which IMO is unlikely if you're stopped at a non-functioning charger.

And you know, this could happen with an ICE vehicle as well - that "last gas for 100 miles" sign is there for a reason, and that last gas station (or the next one 100 miles away) could be closed or out of gas when you are expecting to use it.

It's going to take a little more effort in many places to use an EV, but things are improving all the time. And the prospect for gasoline is just getting worse in terms of price and availability. At least we're not back to rationing yet - back then if you needed gas in the middle of nowhere you might not be able to buy it because it wasn't your day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beatty has a single chargepoint CCS unit. (The others are J1772 and chademo). Never go on a road trip without having enough juice to make it to the fast next charger if the one you're targeting is out of commission.

Road trips with EVs are a breeze if you plan correctly. If you're just la-dee-da'ing it you might find yourself in an uncomfortable place for longer than you want.
I always check various apps to see other charger locations... but there’s just really nothing else within 100 miles of Beatty. Worst case, help is on the way, I suppose. The Tesla SC network is really nice to have now for Teslas. RAN will be nice when already in place.

How long did it take Tesla to build a reliable charging network?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Using a back of beyond place like Beatty NV for a lamentation about lack of fast DC chargers seems a bit strained.

Perhaps Beatty City Council will use some of the Federal funding for chargers to fix it. I'd start with them if that spot is important for your travels.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can't tell you how dramatically improved the CCS infrastructure is in the West now compared to three years ago. EA is making a big difference but the others are stepping up too. People piss and moan about charging infrastructure but if they spent less time complaining and more time sitting down and planning a trip they could fully reap the benefits instead of just being afraid of range.

·
Registered
423 Posts
more time sitting down and planning a trip
Very true but there are going to remote spots or less traveled routes that will lag in charging infrastructure at this early date, 3% of cars being EV.

Not joking about writing to Beatty, NV city council and telling them that lack of charging will make it hard to visit them or pass through and tell them why you go there.

There are Federal programs and likely state programs built off the Federal program that will allow a small town to put in some fast DC chargers.

And make clear they need to be fast DC chargers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Using a back of beyond place like Beatty NV for a lamentation about lack of fast DC chargers seems a bit strained.

Perhaps Beatty City Council will use some of the Federal funding for chargers to fix it. I'd start with them if that spot is important for your travels.
It could be Anyremotetown, US of A. Just happens to be a perfect EV charging scenario. It’s important to those who might want to visit Death Valley on their Rivian. I know i would have but good thing i drove my TMY when I recently went and the SC actually works when i have under 10% left.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
16 Posts
I can't tell you how dramatically improved the CCS infrastructure is in the West now compared to three years ago. EA is making a big difference but the others are stepping up too. People piss and moan about charging infrastructure but if they spent less time complaining and more time sitting down and planning a trip they could fully reap the benefits instead of just being afraid of range.
I see so many people complaining about EA but my experiences have been good. I generally take our MS but not so much because of charging infrastructure but because it is a great car for long drives. But when I have taken the Bolt, and when my kids have taken it, EA has always worked. Of course maxing at around 67 kW it doesn't test the upper charging speeds. I think Superchargers are still better, particularly with the ease of use, plug and play and it always works, but the gap seems to be closing in terms of locations (at least in the Pacific Northwest) and reliability.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I see so many people complaining about EA but my experiences have been good. I
As has mine with the Tesla. I think it has to do with frequency of use, experience. Unlike a gas station, the car has to talk to the station and vice versa. Some stations require you setup first, others that the plug in first. Then which app you use. Some work well with Plugshare but adds a layer of communication. Some work better with the app and then better if you are a subscriber.

I have a "key" for Chargepoint so it's plug and swipe. I'm a subscriber with EA so it's just the EA app and single communication. If I was going on a trip, I'd plot it out with EA, sign up for membership and practice it a few times at home so ready for the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts