Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky

A Silverado EV was spotted charging in a Walmart parking lot in Arizona.

Here is a new 2024 Chevy Silverado EV prototype pickup truck charging in the wild – at a Walmart Electrify America fast charger in Flagstaff, Arizona. This is obviously a test truck as evidenced by the missing side steps, trim, and non-production lights.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like the look of it, especially in particular colors. But, as was the case with the Hummer, as much as I loved the look of that thing, it was a beast. This thing looks to be very big as well. Appears even bigger than the Ford. While it may be great for those that need the size and space, it likely reduces the number of "lifestyle truck" buyers. If you'd consider an extended length Escalade, then the size of this thing might not bother you. but, it is still going to be tougher to park in tight parking lots. I'm sure it will do very well. Just maybe not as well as it could have if it had been just a little smaller.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You know, here is another design issue with this truck. Clearly no one at GM was thinking about users charging this vehicle up in their garages because why would you put the charging port on the driver's side rear 1/4 panel? That's at least 20+ feet from the front of any garage (assuming you drive nose first into your garage).

Given how massive this beast is, I am not sure I would be willing to BACK it into my garage.

Sooooo right there (in my mind) is strike 1 against GM.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You know, here is another design issue with this truck. Clearly no one at GM was thinking about users charging this vehicle up in their garages because why would you put the charging port on the driver's side rear 1/4 panel? That's at least 20+ feet from the front of any garage (assuming you drive nose first into your garage).

Given how massive this beast is, I am not sure I would be willing to BACK it into my garage.
Tesla puts their charge port in the rear, so many companies seem to follow that lead. Rivian bucked that trend -- likely the right move, considering a front-mounted charge port makes more sense when towing a trailer.

As for backing in, I think it's easier to back into a garage than to pull straight in. Much easier to get the vehicle exactly where I want it when I'm backing in, and it makes getting out a lot easier, faster, and SAFER. The larger the vehicle, the easier it is to back it in, compared to front-loading. I back into most parking lot spots, as well. Too many people get aggressive about it, but those of us who KNOW can smirk and maybe do a little head nod to each other.

Tableware Hat Facial expression Cartoon Drinkware

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
193 Posts
Seems like not a lot of ground clearance on this prototype. Is it supposed to have adjustable height suspension as well?
No, I think it is like the Lightning, meant for mostly street use, and soft roading. There will be a Trail Boss version that is more off-road oriented.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the look of it, especially in particular colors. But, as was the case with the Hummer, as much as I loved the look of that thing, it was a beast. This thing looks to be very big as well. Appears even bigger than the Ford. While it may be great for those that need the size and space, it likely reduces the number of "lifestyle truck" buyers. If you'd consider an extended length Escalade, then the size of this thing might not bother you. but, it is still going to be tougher to park in tight parking lots. I'm sure it will do very well. Just maybe not as well as it could have if it had been just a little smaller.
Its the same length and width of the ICE Silverado. Can't do anything about its size, but the 4 wheel steering will make it very maneuverable.

Seems like not a lot of ground clearance on this prototype. Is it supposed to have adjustable height suspension as well?
Yes it has adjustable suspension. It can raise and lower 2 inches from its standard height.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Except the break over angle also won't be as good considering the wheelbase on the Silverado is 10 inches longer than the Rivian.
I still say the rivian on 20’s is a bigger disadvantage. I see trucks in the trials all the time on 20’s with pinch flats. Helped a guy in a f150 this last weekend when we were setting up our sheep hunting camp.

20”+rock=pinch flat.

here is a good example, with guys that even know how to off road in a truck that weighs ~2k less then the R1T. Fast forward to 11:30

1 - 18 of 18 Posts