Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Chirping on or off/ entry issues

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  zriv 
#1 ·
I've had my R1S for a week now, and I'm starting to get very comfortable driving it.
It's a little bigger than I'd imagined, but other than that I'm finding it pretty intuitive.
FYI: 2/20/2020 res. 4/20/2023 delivery (I'm including a photo. It's pretty!)

Questions: I actually left my phone at work last night, so I've been using the card and wristband for access. The card is quite unpredictable once inside the vehicle for finding the place to "wave" it to get the car into drive mode.
-Is this a common challenge?
Also: the wristband seems to be able to unlock the vehicle and allow access, but it does NOT allow me to put the vehicle into DRIVE and actually start it.
-Is this also common? (There is NO wristband key explanation on the Rivian site)
When I popped to the store today, the R1S did not "chirp off" and lock after I walked away for 3 solid minutes. (I watched, and yes, I was far enough away).
-Is this a common challenge?
Now that I am back home, I have the car in my driveway and the car will not lock, or chirp off. The door handles remain open. I have taken the wristband off, and it is by my purse with the key card here in the dining room. Normally it chirps fine when I'm this far away.
-What's going on?
Also, even when I have my phone, sometimes I have to stand next to the car for a solid 10 seconds before it recognizes me and unlocks. Other times it unlocks as I walk to it. Quite odd.

Is anyone else out there having these "chirp challenges", especially when they don't have their cell phone with Rivian app nearby??
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

See less See more
#2 ·
The cards and wrist band are all passive you need to lock the vehicle the same way you unlock it. The Wristband will let you drive, it is same as the cards. Try holding them in the proper spots, it works much better than waving them around, per the manual they could take up to 8 seconds to respond.

For passive locking you can use the PAAK or set the key fob to be passive if you have the latest update.

#4 ·
You have been super helpful.
When holding the key card next to the exterior of the car, I did indeed get it to finally lock.
(whew) Thanks, forum!
The wristband still seems to be useless. It does not unlock the car, nor does it allow the car to start.
Still waiting to hear back from my guide (which is an entire other issue, sigh)
Will send updates....

#5 ·
My wristband is requires super exact tolerances to the end of the door handle. Must be in the exact same place (one thumbnail) from the end of the handle and seems to work more slowly than the key card. Takes some time to figure that out. At the end of the day, I usually just have my phone with me and use that as the best / fastest / most functional and reliable key.

#6 ·
I went to try and use the cards and the bracelet and I could not get any of those three devices to lock or unlock the car (after watching several videos to be sure I am tagging the right place on the door handle). Perhaps the problem with this is that there is a PPF wrap on the door handle.

I am still having trouble using my phone as a key.
What is particularly strange to me is that when I took delivery of the car, the Guide paired my phone and it worked fine.
However, it was paired with my iPhone and I wanted to use my Pixel phone. My gf has her phone as key, as well, so we already had two phones assigned to the car, so I had to delete one to use my android phone -- so I deleted my iPhone. Then I tried to add my Pixel phone but it would not pair. When I tried to re-pair my. iPhone (which had been working fine) it also would not pair at this point. I did all the stuff I read about on the internet -- reinstall the rivian app, toggle in and out of airplane mode, restart the phone, restart the car, etc. It always seems to break down at the bluetooth pairing stage.

So at this point -- the only way I can use my car is either with the key fob (which is also laggy and has a gimmicky design) or get my gf to open and lock the doors for me (and then I have to change the "driver" on the touchscreen).

There must be a better solution for a $90K car -- my Honda CRV works way better.

Something as tactile as the entry point is really important to get right since it gets touched every time the car gets used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.