Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Canada and saw a guy with an F-250 and a cool RV trailer. His truck color looked great, in a matte black. When I got close, I noticed it was pebbly. I asked what it was. He said he had his entire truck covered in bed liner, I guess sort of a rubber coating. I imagine that's very protective. If I liked the look of it and it offered protection, does that seem reasonable to do when I get my R1T (not for 12+ months since I'm waiting on a Max Pack)?

He said he was very happy with it. I sure don't see this often, so I'm wondering if anyone has come across it. It would add a few pounds of weight and maybe slightly cut down on aerodynamics at speed but I wouldn't imagine either would be significant?

·
Registered
171 Posts
From what I remember reading, it's not very easy to clean, you have to use a high pressure system to really clean it well, and also it's permanent. You won't be able to change your mind later and peel it off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ask Rivian if doing that would void the warranty. The paint on the truck doesn't really need any protection despite what all the people peddling various aftermarket coatings and films will tell you.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was in Canada and saw a guy with an F-250 and a cool RV trailer. His truck color looked great, in a matte black. When I got close, I noticed it was pebbly. I asked what it was. He said he had his entire truck covered in bed liner, I guess sort of a rubber coating. I imagine that's very protective. If I liked the look of it and it offered protection, does that seem reasonable to do when I get my R1T (not for 12+ months since I'm waiting on a Max Pack)?

He said he was very happy with it. I sure don't see this often, so I'm wondering if anyone has come across it. It would add a few pounds of weight and maybe slightly cut down on aerodynamics at speed but I wouldn't imagine either would be significant?
There are a a number of cars/trucks I see around here that are completely “sprayed”. All are old beaters mostly things that are very rust problematic but run forever (like 1980/1990’s Toyota and Subaru), and one guy I know with an heavily modded 80 series LC on 37’s. My guess is many people do it more for rust repairs/mitigation then protection.

I think it would be an awful thing to do to a brand new anything.

·
Registered
929 Posts
There is probably a very significant difference between a randomly sprayed rhino liner "coating" and well-placed smooth dimples of a certain shape and depth.

Which modern SG and DH skis are dimpled? I don't know of any. The dimpling thing on Atomics felt a little gimmicky.

Now this on the other hand is awesome:

If you could spray in a liner that turned out like a Zipp wheel, it may be a different story, but that ain't happening: Can dimpled aerodynamic surfaces reduce drag? - Racecar Engineering

·
Registered
397 Posts
Font Vehicle door Bag Magenta Audio equipment

There is probably a very significant difference between a randomly sprayed rhino liner "coating" and well-placed smooth dimples of a certain shape and depth.

Which modern SG and DH skis are dimpled? I don't know of any. The dimpling thing on Atomics felt a little gimmicky.

Now this on the other hand is awesome:

If you could spray in a liner that turned out like a Zipp wheel, it may be a different story, but that ain't happening: Can dimpled aerodynamic surfaces reduce drag? - Racecar Engineering
I know It’s an option on Volkl and Fischer FIS top sheets. I have a pair of 2020 Volkl FIS GS with it. I have some athletes with textured ones as well.

i was just saying that I don’t think a spray lined truck would definitely increase Cd. However there are so many reasons NOT to do it to a new Rivian.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Agreed, and I thought you were referring to golf ball dimples (not textures). The full golf ball dimpled Atomics seemed gimicky like the old V.A.S. plate on Rossis or the Dampened tips on the old Dynastars!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn’t do it. Guys in Tennessee where I live do it and it rarely is a good idea. It adds weight, is rough to the touch, is damn near permanent and not that it would bother you much in Canada but it makes it very hot inside the truck. Your A/C will be working hard to keep up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts