Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was all excited to try out the snow mode this morning since this cold snap rolled through and dumped a few inches. Truck wouldn’t wake up from the app so I went outside and it wouldn’t unlock. Had to use the physical key and only passenger side would unlock. Once in, got every warning message in the book, including unsafe electrical issue. Won’t go in gear to respond to any commands. Completely bricked and it’s blocking our other cars in the driveway so we are stranded until the tow truck comes. So much for this adventure vehicle being built to handle anything nature throws at it.

· Registered
9 Posts
So I was all excited to try out the snow mode this morning since this cold snap rolled through and dumped a few inches. Truck wouldn’t wake up from the app so I went outside and it wouldn’t unlock. Had to use the physical key and only passenger side would unlock. Once in, got every warning message in the book, including unsafe electrical issue. Won’t go in gear to respond to any commands. Completely bricked and it’s blocking our other cars in the driveway so we are stranded until the tow truck comes. So much for this adventure vehicle being built to handle anything nature throws at it.
I feel for you. I am experiencing icing difficulties but each time I was able to get it running

· Registered
Future R1S
22 Posts
That sucks.
Any updates?

· Registered
3 Posts
Sad situation indeed.

it’s not really bricked if your seeing small signs of life - charge stays. Just stuck in deep sleep.

my 2020 Defender did this twice on within one month. It’s not an EV, true, all this computerize monopolies brands built. They have to dig and dig.
Hope solution comes quickly for you.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
95 Posts
Was the vehicle plugged in? It is highly recommended to leave EVs plugged in (when possible) during cold temperatures. That way they can use shore power to keep critical systems and the battery from getting too cold.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delay, I thought I had posted a reply but must have errored out. Turned out to be the 12v issue. Initially got an estimate for $800-ish which I wasn't happy about but it turned out to be covered under warranty. Still don't have the truck back, assume that was due to holidays plus it needed paint for an unlrelated ticket which was also delayed. That ticket, BTW, is the THIRD time I have opened a ticket for the exact same issue and it had yet to be addressed until I made a big deal about it this time. Hoping to get it back this week.

@seanrarey- While it may be recommended, I travel back and forth to the airport for work. No way I can rely on having to plug this thing in when it gets cold. If I can't trust that my vehicle will get me home from where I leave it I need to get another vehicle.

So not super happy that this has happened and even less happy to see how often it is happening under a wide set of circumstances. Add this to some of the other concerns around support, quality, and the laise-fare manner if which they have been addressed and I'm not feeling great about Rivian right now. Haven't given up on it yet, but starting to look at other options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts