Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Love it! Finally some good detailed info!

Anyone catch this? Perhaps an extended cab with a longer bed vs crew cab?

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Another good tidbit from the article states charging at 25MPH from an AC outlet. That must be pulling 48amps from a 220v circuit to get that. My Tesla S would consistently get 29MPH pulling 40 amps, and the Rivian is a less efficient vehicle so take more juice to get the same MPH charge rate.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
RJ mentioned R2 and R3 models are on their way. I believe this could be some version of one of those.
I was under the impression that R2 and R3 would be for different segments, and doubt they would do anything special like that for a different wheelbase model. But I could be wrong. Its just a bit unusual to me.

Where did that "extended cab" screen shot come from?
The extended cab photo was shared in the article that went with this video.
BTW, lets continue discussion on it here.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
InsideEVs did an article that linked to this thread, mentioned @Wildabeest and included our observations.
They also added some other details:

"It's hard to tell if the wheelbase is smaller because of the angle of the photo. Extended cab body styles tend to have shorter wheelbases. Also, I wish the bed of the truck came out in the photo because extended cab trucks usually have longer beds.

If the truck wrapped in white camouflage is an extended cab body style, it shouldn't be much of a surprise. It wouldn't make sense for Rivian to developed just one body style for the R1T truck. Extended and single cab versions are very likely.

Or could this truck be one of the smaller trucks that Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe talked about in a recent interview with MotorTrend:

"The R1 family of vehicles comprises the halo products, but lower-priced models are being planned. Scaringe says there's a whole slew of products to follow and the naming convention will continue, which means next up would be an R2 series of at least two smaller electric vehicles to coincide with the smaller platform they will ride on, then another platform for R3.
Rivian has not shown any of the future products, but the company is oriented to adventure-type trucks and SUVs. Executing means additional production capacity, different form factors, and different price points and markets, Scaringe says. It is reasonable to assume similar body styles but in different sizes."
_

Another good read here too.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love it! Finally some good detailed info!

Anyone catch this? Perhaps an extended cab with a longer bed vs crew cab?

View attachment 1547
The Drive reached out to Rivian and here's what they told them about the extended cab.

A Rivian spokesperson told The Drive that the automaker built this particular example as a test mule to gather data for the R1S electric SUV. They explained that since this round of testing was completed "before we had R1S bodies on the [production] line," an SUV body couldn't simply be fitted to the skateboard platform. Because the standard R1T shell is built to fit on a wheelbase of 135 inches, it was just too large to plop on the shorter 121-inch wheelbase of the R1S. With the help of a little fabrication, the R1T extended cab test mule was born.

Rivian told us that there's "nothing to see here on the extended cab front," so while such a variant of the R1T technically exists, it seems like it won't make its way to market, at least initially.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts