Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Colorado rivian service center today for the very first time. Went there just to see how many rivian they had. I got there and there were a bunch of people there. Looks like they were doing an open service center event! It was supposed to be for the first 125 rivian reservation holders in Denver but they let me in. I was able to sit inside the rivian, front and back, check out the tent accessories and go for a ride along! They also took us through a trip of the rivian delivery center. I’m so glad that they did this. The fit and finish were all very good, the trucks looked awesome. The one I was in had about 1200 miles on it. Based on range using conservative driving mode it looked like range was about 298 at 100% which is just shy of epa 314.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where is it located, I live in Boulder, didn't receive any information, but canceled my reservation then reinstated it, and they said it would be four or five weeks before they get the website up and correct again? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is it located, I live in Boulder, didn't receive any information, but canceled my reservation then reinstated it, and they said it would be four or five weeks before they get the website up and correct again? Thanks so much!
it’s at 3893 steele st Denver. I’m in the same boat as you. I canceled them reinstated. Waiting for our to come back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
it's at 3893 steele st Denver. I'm in the same boat as you. I canceled them reinstated. Waiting for our to come back.
Saw the new Car and Driver issue in the airport today, not a good review, and the Rivian was on the cover. Said it was not ready to be sold to consumers. Whew, what a mess; I would have loved to see it and see what other people's viewpoint is. I find it so hard that they do not have the expertise after ten years from the auto industry to let a vehicle out to a company that is going to put it on the cover of their magazine (which isn't too much these days, but they tell you beforehand) and not make sure the panels and touchscreen works. Remember, we are talking an $80K plus pickup here, though the article was written pre-price increase. Did say it was comfortable and of course the EV quick 0-60 time. They never mention how long it takes to stop the 3-ton vehicle though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Saw the new Car and Driver issue in the airport today, not a good review, and the Rivian was on the cover. Said it was not ready to be sold to consumers. Whew, what a mess; I would have loved to see it and see what other people's viewpoint is. I find it so hard that they do not have the expertise after ten years from the auto industry to let a vehicle out to a company that is going to put it on the cover of their magazine (which isn't too much these days, but they tell you beforehand) and not make sure the panels and touchscreen works. Remember, we are talking an $80K plus pickup here, though the article was written pre-price increase. Did say it was comfortable and of course the EV quick 0-60 time. They never mention how long it takes to stop the 3-ton vehicle though.
overall the build quality seems very good.Thr drive was smooth and quiet on the ride along. Out of spec, tfl, and others on youtube have reviewed this.I trust TFL to have reviewed it accurately and they had good things to say about it. I believe edmunds or kbb did the stop from 60 mph. For me it will be another 2-3 yrs before I receive mine. My build was before the price hike so that helps. Hopefully in 2-3 yrs I’ll have a better direction of where they are headed.
main downside is charging curves and charging time for long distance driving.

·
Registered
84 Posts
overall the build quality seems very good.Thr drive was smooth and quiet on the ride along. Out of spec, tfl, and others on youtube have reviewed this.I trust TFL to have reviewed it accurately and they had good things to say about it. I believe edmunds or kbb did the stop from 60 mph. For me it will be another 2-3 yrs before I receive mine. My build was before the price hike so that helps. Hopefully in 2-3 yrs I'll have a better direction of where they are headed.
main downside is charging curves and charging time for long distance driving.
They have not even built the SUV or Delivery Van yet to sell. Car and Driver have some decent automobile people; read their review. That truck should have never been sent for a cover shot and examination. The magazine tells the manufacturer they have the cover beforehand. Reviewers have it for a day, maybe a few hours. Having it for five years is a different story. Reviewers don't have a $100K on the line, nor do they make enough to afford these price points. They bond a relationship with a manufacturer to get the vehicles as quickly as possible to be the first reviews. When somebody like Car and Driver rips it the way they do, saying what they got should never be sold to a customer, you have an issue and this or even a $25K price point. I agree that it will be 2-3 years more now before we know that the vehicles we put a grand down on for years will ever be a viable purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
They have not even built the SUV or Delivery Van yet to sell. Car and Driver have some decent automobile people; read their review. That truck should have never been sent for a cover shot and examination. The magazine tells the manufacturer they have the cover beforehand. Reviewers have it for a day, maybe a few hours. Having it for five years is a different story. Reviewers don't have a $100K on the line, nor do they make enough to afford these price points. They bond a relationship with a manufacturer to get the vehicles as quickly as possible to be the first reviews. When somebody like Car and Driver rips it the way they do, saying what they got should never be sold to a customer, you have an issue and this or even a $25K price point. I agree that it will be 2-3 years more now before we know that the vehicles we put a grand down on for years will ever be a viable purchase.
They don’t have the suv or the Amazon van yet but the trucks are there and that’s what I’ve ordered. As mentioned there are 41 out here in Denver ready for delivery. What article are you reading with car and driver? I’m not finding that article. In fact the one from feb 2nd 2022 seems to say everything is working fine and is a great truck other than the infotainment problems they had which rivian stated that they will (or already has) via the over the air update. They even mentioned minor panel gaps. From what I saw the panel gaps were much less noticeable than a Tesla. The article also mentioned ride quality and noise is better than the tesla. I’m sure there still be growing pains with rivian just like any other car manufacturer but so far I’ve liked what I’ve seen here in Denver. However, nowhere in this article was there the level of negativity that you are describing. Also plenty of others have tested this car out already and their reviews align as well in terms of quality of the truck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They don't have the suv or the Amazon van yet but the trucks are there and that's what I've ordered. As mentioned there are 41 out here in Denver ready for delivery. What article are you reading with car and driver? I'm not finding that article. In fact the one from feb 2nd 2022 seems to say everything is working fine and is a great truck other than the infotainment problems they had which rivian stated that they will (or already has) via the over the air update. They even mentioned minor panel gaps. From what I saw the panel gaps were much less noticeable than a Tesla. The article also mentioned ride quality and noise is better than the tesla. I'm sure there still be growing pains with rivian just like any other car manufacturer but so far I've liked what I've seen here in Denver. However, nowhere in this article was there the level of negativity that you are describing. Also plenty of others have tested this car out already and their reviews align as well in terms of quality of the truck.
Not an internet article, it's the current issue of Car and Driver I read the review at the Newstand at DIA. Possibly this will reinforce my post?
Font Adaptation Publication History Circle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not an internet article, it's the current issue of Car and Driver I read the review at the Newstand at DIA. Possibly this will reinforce my post?
View attachment 4949
Looks like its the same article we are referencing. So Carlo's main point was the touchscreen being an issue with minor panel gaps. What i can tell you is that I did not see any panel gaps (but again i wasn't looking as hard as i should for this as i was looking more on the functional side. Also what i'll tell you is that based on the videos that i've seen on youtube, it appears that does not seem to be an issue with majority of the reviewers.
As for the touchscreen, there were 2 guys who played around with the touchscreen for about 30 mins while i was there checking out the back seat and the truck and it did not crash even once. I played around with it myself for probably 10-15 mins and did not see any issues there. Ofcourse were not driving at that time either so it could be that. In talking a rivian guys there, they said a recent over the air update has fixed a majority of these issues.
Either way, i think i'm good with where i'm at with the pre-order at $1000 and not getting the car for another 2-3 yrs. This way i lock in the old price and it gives me time to see how rivian progresses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Panel gags in cars are not just fit and finish. What they do over time causes a lot of problems for many vehicles. Doors do not operate properly; sections that rub over time, paint comes off, rust, water leaks, wind noise. The gull-wing doors on the Tesla big mistake. They are not what most buyers will look at and notice; you would almost have to have a tool and laser measurement device. But to the engineer in the automotive business, they are bad builds and a sign of poor quality that will affect the vehicle long term. Being visible to the naked eye is terrible; normal variances not visual can be just as bad over the life of a vehicle. Get a measurement tool, look at a Porsche, a couple of dealers in Denver's best selection Colorado Springs, then check out some other brands, a Rivian if you can. Since the eighties, I have been lucky enough to own some Porsche cars; using a tool when looking at a new or used car can be a tremendous tell-tale sign. GM and Ford are also excellent these days.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"our early-build test truck"
Our early build truck was released for a cover story and review to the automotive press? WTF? Ford or GM would fire people;e over this blunder. If you're not keeping an eye on this release, your indeed not looking at those delivered to consumers. Panel gaps and a touch screen constantly crashed, and the car turned off and restarted to reboot to make it functional? Play CEO for an hour. Do you want your company sending that over to a significant automotive press company for a cover shot and review? Maybe that is why your stock and company are reaching Chapter 11 territories after ten years of work.

Bob, below, if you don't know him gave us the famous "M Series BMW," the Viper, the Caddilac CTS, with Corvette engine. He is an industry icon and ex-fighter pilot who loves perfection and demands it at every company he worked. Rivian needs people of his caliber very severely and sadly needed them five years ago for $100K vehicles.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You seem to have totally missed the entire point of the review. Car and Driver gave Rivian an "Editor's Choice Award", which they give only to "...the top new cars, trucks, SUVs, minivans, and electric vehicles for sale today."

Bottom line, Car and Driver liked the Rivian. They really liked the Rivian. This is not a "bad" review. They pointed out some minor issues they found while acknowledging that they were evaluating what they called a "prototype".

The video review was released more than a month ago, and we've talked about it in other threads here. If you want to discuss that video review, find the other thread and contribute there after reading what everyone else said. Again, Car and Driver is very positive about the Rivian overall.

It seems like you cherry-picked what you wanted to hear and jumped to conclusions. And then copy-and-pasted your conclusions in half a dozen different and unrelated threads (Like this one about the "Colorado Delivery Center Event"), maximizing the spread of your misinformation. If you want to have a discussion, please stop cross-posting because that does everyone a disservice. Start a new thread or participate in one of the existing threads about the Car and Driver review.

BTW all the reviews I've seen that call out some panel gaps in the pre-production vehicles also mention that Rivian is already better than Tesla in that respect, even though Tesla has built millions and should be better than Rivian by now. (They also said it was a lot quieter than a Model 3, which they described as surprising.) All indications are that Rivian's manufacturing ramp-up has been addressing the gaps and the other minor issues, and that after building a few thousand non-prototypes Rivian is improving.

They never mention how long it takes to stop the 3-ton vehicle though.
Well, yes they did. They described their braking test, and they said the Rivian stopped in 177ft. (70-0 etc.). They compared it to the RAM TRX (which is a bit lighter) which stopped in 189ft in the same test.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The average SUV is around 143 feet 60-0, so maybe on par with the 70-0, but that is a lot of distance; I am not sure people realize the 0-60 in three seconds is great, but taking 150 or over 16 car lengths to stop, is not so great of an idea on public road and highways. A base 911 @ 100K and we are in that ballpark (no Twin Turbo's or GT's if your fast acceleration your desire will get to 0-60 in 2.6 seconds) and will stop in around 100 feet. In addition, it is one of the lowest depreciation of any vehicle. I see so many posts on the 3.0 seconds straight-line acceleration as a buying feature and have a hard time seeing that as a significant draw for buyers when once you hit that speed in this heavy of a truck, your going to have a heck of a time slowing it down. If your other needs are strong, hauling seating, I understand. Interesting though, Rivian states in their research that 90% of buyers are not previous truck owners.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The average SUV is around 143 feet 60-0, so maybe on par with the 70-0, but that is a lot of distance; I am not sure people realize the 0-60 in three seconds is great, but taking 150 or over 16 car lengths to stop, is not so great of an idea on public road and highways. A base 911 @ 100K and we are in that ballpark (no Twin Turbo's or GT's if your fast acceleration your desire will get to 0-60 in 2.6 seconds) and will stop in around 100 feet. In addition, it is one of the lowest depreciation of any vehicle. I see so many posts on the 3.0 seconds straight-line acceleration as a buying feature and have a hard time seeing that as a significant draw for buyers when once you hit that speed in this heavy of a truck, your going to have a heck of a time slowing it down. If your other needs are strong, hauling seating, I understand. Interesting though, Rivian states in their research that 90% of buyers are not previous truck owners.
I guess it depends on who is testing it and what the conditions are. Edmonds got 116 feet in their 60 to 0 claiming it the best truck they tested in this category.

Font Line Rectangle Number Screenshot

·
Registered
935 Posts
Have you seen the brakes on the R1T? I don't think most people leave the driveway in a vehicle capable of doing 0-60 in 3 seconds thinking "YEEEE-F'ING-HAWWW!!! Giddy Up!!! and jam their foot to the floor at every stop sign or stop light. 0-60 is a completely arbitrary "review" metric that happens to be super-impressive for this truck. Doesn't mean everyone is going to be jamming the accelerator and slamming brakes. Let's face it... It's freaking impressive.

Lastly, do we even know when C&D received this "early build" and what the hell that even is? I think everyone is well aware that the staging that is happening at all the Service Centers allows for final SW updates prior delivery, so this vehicle (including the U/I and infotainment system) will continuously be updated. Just saw this yesterday on YT:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.