Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a Wench on the rear to launch my Sailboat
I asked how and where is a 12 Volt 30amp supply for my Wench here is the response

Hi Vern,

Thanks for being on this journey with us from the beginning, your support is appreciated. I hope your week is wrapping up well. The plant is buzzing with excitement as we're working hard to get you behind the wheel. You'll have no problem installing a winch as our vehicles have the necessary structures to support that. We have three 12v outlets located in the R1T located on the underside of the instrument panel, in the front trunk and in the gear tunnel.

I've requested more details to your specific questions and will reach back out when that's available. We're eager to have Rivian along for your sailing adventures and more!

Stay well and feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions.

Live your adventure,
Rebecca

·
Registered
554 Posts
Isn't a wench a prostitute? Your prostitute is paid in electrons? 360W seems high for a whore.

On a more serious note, I assume you meant winch? I'm surprised Rivian didn't mention the 7-pin trailer connector. 7-pin includes a 12V supply, and although I don't know the fuse rating Rivian is using, it's common to see 40A in other vehicles. The location of the trailer connection would seem much more convenient compared to the next-closest in the gear-tunnel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
... We have three 12v outlets located in the R1T located on the underside of the instrument panel, in the front trunk and in the gear tunnel. ...
That sort of counters what is in the FAQ:

I would lean towards believing the FAQ because I cannot believe that the Camp Kitchen could run off from 12v, but could from a 110v.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would lean towards believing the FAQ because I cannot believe that the Camp Kitchen could run off from 12v, but could from a 110v.
I hope the camp kitchen doesn't run on 110V. That would be quite inefficient. Induction cooktops can be run directly off of DC. I agree 12V is not the way to go... But I was under the impression there'd be a high-voltage DC connector for the camp kitchen to use. Much more efficient than converting DC to AC to run what would otherwise be an off-the-shelf induction cooktop.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Everything Rivian has said to date suggests the cooktop will be a standard 120VAC unit. 1440 watts isn't just coincidentally 12A * 120V -- that 12A is the max continuous load you can run on a standard 15A household circuit.

I've run a similar cooktop off an inverter setup with a 4.8kwH LiFePO4 battery bank in my Sprinter build. With all the inefficiencies, you'll still be able to cook normal meals for days on less than 5% of the R1T's smallest battery config.

The inefficiencies of doing it this way are almost certainly outweighed by being able to use more commonly available components and the safety aspect of not having a user-accessible DC-high-voltage port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When they say 12v outlets, I expect they mean what we'd refer to a cigarette lighter plugs/receptacles. No way these will handle 30A, the wires would cook. The winch on my Grand Cherokee had to wire directly to the battery (with an in-line fuse of course). The wires are massive compared to what you'd have with a standard 12v outlet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts