Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Lots to discuss here.
While most know that Tesla's SC network is the gold standard, Tesla lost to EA because most Tesla drivers don't need or use a "Digital Platform" because it's built into the infotainment system in the car (like it should be). So their comparison is kind of unfair in that respect. And they spend much of the article explaining why their testing methods evaluated things that don't apply to Tesla.

None-the-less, while EA is most expensive, maybe it's getting better.
Maybe one day RAN charging will be numerous enough to evaluate!

·
Registered
562 Posts
So their comparison is kind of unfair in that respect.
There are going to be something like 50 new BEVs available over the next two years. Tesla is no longer the only game in town, and Tesla will have an increasingly smaller market share of BEVs going forward (Tesla will go from about 67% of the BEV market currently to significantly less, even if each of these new platforms captures less than 1% of the market).

In light of this, while the review may seem a bit unfair to Tesla owners, it is actually a lot more fair to the soon-to-be majority of owners who DO have to deal with a wide variety of charger networks. From the point of view of someone who owns a BEV that is not a Tesla, the quality of the Supercharger network doesn't matter, is of no relevance, and arguably shouldn't even be in the comparison! If you say well, the Supercharger network is now being opened to non-Tesla owners, then the "Digital platform" SHOULD matter, because that will be important to those non-Tesla owners.

I'm personally interested in seeing more information about the RAN - more than just the static map of proposed stations which has been released. I'd like to see these being listed on ABRP or somewhere similar. Have you seen any maps that have the exact locations/capabilities of the currently available RAN stations?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree they shouldn't have included Tesla superchargers in their comparison because they only work with Tesla vehicles.
Ultimately the "digital platform" for charging should be built into the vehicle, probably in the form of update-able apps, especially at this early stage.
I hope 50 new BEVs available over next two years, but I'm not taking that bet.

Nothing on RAN. They require silicon chips too. I guess Rivian's meager allocation of chips is going into their vehicles.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I hope 50 new BEVs available over next two years, but I'm not taking that bet.
Yeah, it's speculative, and I've seen a lot of numbers ranging from ~35 to ~100, but ~50 is what I see most. I haven't looked through all the lists and tried to evaluate how "real" these announced/anticipated release dates are, but I'm sure many of them are likely to slip a year or two especially given the current supply chain constraints.

·
Registered
481 Posts
None-the-less, while EA is most expensive, maybe it's getting better.
Actually Tesla costs are same or higher as Tesla charges more at busy chargers, up to $0.41kWh vs. EA's $0.31kWh.

EA's coverage is more spread out with many 4 stall stations vs. Tesla's 12 stalls so EA offers more local options while still covering the main travel lanes for DC charging.

In PDX a LOT more EA fast chargers than Tesla and less crowded so far, often find Tesla stations full.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
Actually Tesla costs are same or higher as Tesla charges more at busy chargers, up to $0.41kWh vs. EA's $0.31kWh.

EA's coverage is more spread out with many 4 stall stations vs. Tesla's 12 stalls so EA offers more local options while still covering the main travel lanes for DC charging.

In PDX a LOT more EA fast chargers than Tesla and less crowded so far, often find Tesla stations full.
My main issue with the EA (and other) stations, at least in California, is that they are spread out well along the Interstates but each location just has way too few stations. Most places I stop on trips seems to 4-6 chargers.

Taking the I-5 from L.A. to S.F., roughly the mid-pint is Kettleman City & Harris Ranch. EA has a station in Harris Ranch and they are building one at Kettleman City, however, HR has 6 stalls and who knows how many they will have at KC. Meanwhile, Tesla had 40 stalls at KC & 18 at HR. They just opened another 55 stalls across the street in KC and are building an additional 80 stalls in HR.

I know right now there are considerable more Teslas on the road than CCS vehicles, but with a dozen companies selling cars with CCS plugs, it will not take long that there will be millions of CCS vehicles on the road. I heard today that the EA 6 stalls at Harris Ranch had a line of cars waiting to charge.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
But chargers available, not full, ready to use.

Also, likely several more 4-6 stations close by so you can see which are available on the app. They are close enough that you can reach them if you are down to 10% and looking to charge.
If you are in an urban area, that is not a problem; however, if you are travelling between cities (ignore 95 corridor) the stations are about 30-40 miles apart, you can't really chose stops by what the app is showing as available. Take a look at how many options there are between Harrisburg & Pittsburgh if you are travelling across the state.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Take a look at how many options there are between Harrisburg & Pittsburgh if you are travelling across the state.
4 x 4 for that run but likely a low EV population. None in Pittsburgh which doesn't bode well for someone without home charging or in Winter when snow and cold take their toll and you'd need a boost going home from 100 mile trip. Tesla has chargers at about the same locations, also a less concentration than West coast for that area. Tesla does offer more at those locationsl

On West Coast, much greater charger density.

Perhaps EA will be expanding in the area as EV density grows.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
191 Posts
4 x 4 for that run but likely a low EV population. None in Pittsburgh which doesn't bode well for someone without home charging or in Winter when snow and cold take their toll and you'd need a boost going home from 100 mile trip. Tesla has chargers at about the same locations, also a less concentration than West coast for that area. Tesla does offer more at those locationsl

On West Coast, much greater charger density.

Perhaps EA will be expanding in the area as EV density grows.
This is a trip I have been researching a lot as we will be making it fairly regularly to visit family. I won't have access to more than a level 1 charger at my family's house, which is partially my reasoning for getting a MaxPack. My intention is to probably stop in Bedford for a bathroom break for the kids and to get any charge we can. There is an EA at the Sheetz there. It looks like there is a RAN dot in that area as well, so if/when that is available we will use that too (a couple in the Pittsburgh area as well). Then there is another EA charger in Belle Vernon I was planning to use to top off on the return trip (either that or a low power EVgo station I could use while there for a weekend). Worst case scenario, I should be able to make the round trip with only a little extra level 1 charging.

Definitely not that many options, but there should be enough in this stretch. I know it is a specific trip, but with the use of route planners (and hopefully the built in nav in the trucks), it seems easily doable. To provide contrast there are Tesla chargers at most of the rest stops on the Turnpike, and I don't think I have ever seen more than 1 or 2 cars charging. I'm not holding my breath for those to be opened up to us any time soon or ever.

If Rivian published more info on the RAN, this trip and likely most or all that I normally take could be comfortable on the large pack, and I may consider changing my order to that, but as of now the max pack is a requirement for me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
204 miles you are going to make this with no charging pretty easily especially if you went for the 400 mile range. Even in snow covered and cold with the heat on you'll likely make it without charging on the big battery pack.

EA is building out fast. As is EVgo/GM and others. Many electric utilities have fast DC chargers at their offices.

If you make the run now and have time, use Plugshare to find fast DC chargers on the route and go check them out with a quick drive by to see if they well maintained, in use, convenient for you with kids.

I did that in anticipation of getting a MachE now an F150/Rivian/Silverado, even getting Chademo and CCS1 adapters so I could use the chargers with the Tesla.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My main issue with the EA (and other) stations, at least in California, is that they are spread out well along the Interstates but each location just has way too few stations. Most places I stop on trips seems to 4-6 chargers.

Taking the I-5 from L.A. to S.F., roughly the mid-pint is Kettleman City & Harris Ranch. EA has a station in Harris Ranch and they are building one at Kettleman City, however, HR has 6 stalls and who knows how many they will have at KC. Meanwhile, Tesla had 40 stalls at KC & 18 at HR. They just opened another 55 stalls across the street in KC and are building an additional 80 stalls in HR.

I know right now there are considerable more Teslas on the road than CCS vehicles, but with a dozen companies selling cars with CCS plugs, it will not take long that there will be millions of CCS vehicles on the road. I heard today that the EA 6 stalls at Harris Ranch had a line of cars waiting to charge.
On a drive south on I/5 from Sacramento two weeks ago we encountered two charging stations at each CalTRANS rest stop along the way. Each station has two chargers and each one has a ChaMoDa and a CCS hook up. Not a lot of stations at each rest stop, but it certainly is encouraging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts