Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the Rivian IPO and R1T deliveries are getting all the attention at the moment, others in the EV world are also generating some interesting news.

One development in the wings is the new concept EV-SUV from Hyundai-Kia. The formal unveiling of the Kia model, the EV9, happened today and we may be able to see it on 17 November at the LA Auto show. It's sister car, the Hyundai Seven, will also make its debut at the LA show. While both are concepts, they are expected to be based on the existing Hyundai E-GMP platform, so could become reality quite rapidly.

There's a lot we don't know about these cars - battery capacity, drive mode, range, payload, towing capability - and the biggest is if they will make it to production (most concepts don't). If Hyundai/Kia follows the trail that the Pallisade/Telluride blazed however, the R1S could have some real competition in the near future however.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
More competition is great!
But I don’t expect it to be “competition” for a while. The EV market is underserved and there are many niches unexplored.
there are many people who will get a Rivian R1 who would’ve never bought the Kia 9/7 and viceversa.
And both of the companies will be selling every and each vehicle they can manage to manufacture regardless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would agree with competition is good comment, but there is no aspect of anything in the Kia / Hyundai world that is really any form of serious off road capabilities. While both would be EV SUV's it is a little bit of apples and oranges from a capabilities perspective and also the price is going to be the other factor with Rivian commanding a premium. I do think the more EV's that do surface will have siphon off some of the Rivian demand for the buyers that are not quite as interested in the offroad / adventure specs that the Rivian provides for the money. The one I am going to be interested in when it is announced will be the Bronco EV. That will be a serious contender to R1S.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree none of the Hyaundai/Kia offerings present a real threat to Rivian, very few people will cross-shop those with the R1S. But there is real competition coming. Mercedes has an BEV G Waggon on the way and Jeep will have a BEV Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer coming in the next 3-5 years (which is apparently about when I can expect a max pack R1S according to some on this forum). I realize the R1S will probably slot in between those vehicles from a cost perspective, but I think some people will cross shop them from one side or the other. For me personally, the max pack R1S is more than I'd typically ever spend on a car and I don't truly need all the space, capability or power (of course I want it, but don't actually need it). If a well equipped BEV Grand Cherokee were available for 60-70K in the next 2 years, I'd be very interested and probably be canceling my pre-order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All of these new EV offerings will cut into ICE vehicle sales, not the sales of other EVs. They will also likely generate additional sales that would never have happened (someone buying a new car before they would have ordinarily because it's an EV).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.