Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this mean more delays, take it or leave it, or move to the back of the line?

Given the upcoming spring delivery windows, I was expecting (and more specifically hoping) for a Northeast or East Coast First Drive opportunity by now. I am on the list for notifications, but not sure if the "try before you buy a Rivian thing" is really how they are approaching Launch Edition Orders anymore, and again, no communication with customers. I don't get irked about any of the delays, but it would be great to know if the approach to assisting customers with finalizing their orders prior to purchase has changed. My sense from speaking with CS is that my order in the configurator is "LOCKED" as it stands. There will be no tweaks allowed, and that if I wanted Limestone instead of the selected Launch Green, then I would go to the back of the LE line. I already tried asked what would happen to my window if I tried to change my configuration to include dark wheels, and was advised that this could negatively impact my delivery window. Interested in hearing how others are viewing their deliveries out here in no-man's land on the East Coast... Even if it wasn't a First Drive Event, it would be great to have vehicles "staged" for reservation holders to at least see in person at a designated location in each state IMHO. That would also be super easy for Rivian to do without needing to deal with COVID protocols etc. At this stage in the game, it is feeling almost like we will be either in a position to A). Buy without a drive and accept our configuration "as is" B). Test-drive upon delivery? C). Make changes and move to the back of the line.

When First Drive events were originally announced, the idea was to allow LE customers to "finalize" their spec I believe, but based on the language Rivian used in "reservation window" email, we're all locked and loaded, which might not be a bad thing:

Your Launch Edition R1T delivery window is now April - May 2022.

Please note that this delivery window is based on your current configuration, delivery location, and preorder date.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I believe all three options are in play plus more:
A). Buy without a drive and accept our configuration "as is" Hopefully you will like the vehicle, if not see "B"
B). Test-drive upon delivery? If you don't like the vehicle, You have 7 days or 1K miles to return the vehicle.
C). Make changes and move to the back of the line. Perhaps not the back of the line, but still later the delivery date you had before you made changes.

D).
Inspect vehicle inside and out and reject vehicle before signing paperwork.

Keep in mind, with the long wait times- if you don't like the vehicle.. consider re-selling it at a small profit vs. returning it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I believe all three options are in play plus more:
A). Buy without a drive and accept our configuration "as is" Hopefully you will like the vehicle, if not see "B"
B). Test-drive upon delivery? If you don't like the vehicle, You have 7 days or 1K miles to return the vehicle.
C). Make changes and move to the back of the line. Perhaps not the back of the line, but still later the delivery date you had before you made changes.

D).
Inspect vehicle inside and out and reject vehicle before signing paperwork.

Keep in mind, with the long wait times- if you don't like the vehicle.. consider re-selling it at a small profit vs. returning it.
Options B and D mean you don’t get a vehicle. It’s not an “exchange” but rather a “return”. If you don’t have a second reservation you’d need to make one and you’re at the very back of the line then.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does this mean more delays, take it or leave it, or move to the back of the line?
They seem to be following Tesla's model, which means take it or leave it.

I've been burned by Tesla enough that I'm not going to be likely to do that again. My first one still has issues from Day 1 that haven't been resolved. Second one was fortunately ok. Third was in the shop for 3 out of the first 4 months I had it. Fourth was returned after 48 hours due to so many different quality issues.

I'm imprinting past experience on a different company, but they will need to demonstrate a much better QC process than Tesla for me to just take their word and take the car sight unseen. The return policy helps but 7 days isn't enough to discover all the potential issues, only the really obvious ones.

Fortunately the reviews so far have been trending positively but that will need to continue and at this point I want to see it with my own eyes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They seem to be following Tesla's model, which means take it or leave it.

I've been burned by Tesla enough that I'm not going to be likely to do that again. My first one still has issues from Day 1 that haven't been resolved. Second one was fortunately ok. Third was in the shop for 3 out of the first 4 months I had it. Fourth was returned after 48 hours due to so many different quality issues.

I'm imprinting past experience on a different company, but they will need to demonstrate a much better QC process than Tesla for me to just take their word and take the car sight unseen. The return policy helps but 7 days isn't enough to discover all the potential issues, only the really obvious ones.
I have seen that and some of the things he points out are nowhere near as bad as Tesla. He's pointing out for the most part millimeters or tightness.

On my Tesla..we're talking 1/2" gaps between glass panels.
Hand Photograph Finger Gesture Thumb

Sagging trim that wouldn't pop back in with light peeking through:
Plant Automotive tire Shade Tree Road surface

1 - 6 of 6 Posts