Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your reservation concerns at this point?
I'm curious to know, because the process is much unlike what most well established automakers usually have setup. That is, being able to see the vehicle in person (and even drive it) so you can be more confident in your decision.
Here, its quite the opposite.
I rather not take delivery and then regret it days later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What are your reservation concerns at this point?
I'm curious to know, because the process is much unlike what most well established automakers usually have setup. That is, being able to see the vehicle in person (and even drive it) so you can be more confident in your decision.
They're planning on having test-drive opportunities in advance of final sale commitments, so you won't be buying a pig in a poke. That $1,000 deposit is fully refundable up to the date of purchase.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My biggest concern is the fact they have delayed the 400+ mile range after promising it would be first. My 2nd concern is only offering the glass roof until middle of 2022. I live in the desert and would rather have a metal roof or the removable roof option, now I have to wait. So effectively I have lost the early delivery advantage of having a pre-order.

I also have a third concern about the fast charging speed. There was mention of 300KW in an interview by RJ, but now seems to be 200KW. State of the art tomorrow (i.e. by the end of 2021) will be 350KW charging, as is advertised for the Hummer. I am really hoping the Max Pack will have a much faster advertised charging speed.

I consider the final release of the configurator to be a disappointment, as compared to my early expectations. Personally I have decided not to jump to an LE version that falls short of what I want. I also reserved a Hummer, as Plan B, and I think that may have turned out to be a good move. I talked to my GMC dealer the day before they took reservations, and they will be getting an early one that can be test driven.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe the prior mention of 300kW was a peak number, whereas the language they're using on the website for 200kW is sustained. Obviously details are still scarce, but if 200kW sustained means that you average 200kW from 10-80% with a short higher peak, comes out to under half an hour to add 210 miles (70% of 300 miles). If the charging opportunities are where they need to be, I think that would work quite well for most people once they adjust the way they think about trip planning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There's a range of people in the early orders group. Some will undoubtedly face disappointment and nothing's a done deal yet. I've paid into Kickstarters that took years to deliver and some that never delivered. You've only expressed your intent to purchase and have not locked into any commitment. Ditto Rivian.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the prior mention of 300kW was a peak number, whereas the language they're using on the website for 200kW is sustained. Obviously details are still scarce, but if 200kW sustained means that you average 200kW from 10-80% with a short higher peak, comes out to under half an hour to add 210 miles (70% of 300 miles). If the charging opportunities are where they need to be, I think that would work quite well for most people once they adjust the way they think about trip planning.
One thing Rivian can do is come out with a trip planner with range estimates specific to the R1T and R1S, locations of charging stations, etc. A lot of that exists already for EVs in general but those Rivian specific estimates will help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think, for most, once they release details of the Rivian Adventure Network (their name for their charging infrastructure), many concerns will be alleviated. RJ most recently in an interview reported 20min "fast charge" to add 140 miles of range. That to me is acceptable if the network is built logically with us end users in mind (charging stations every 100 miles, or whatever). I'm no engineer but from what I've read, faster charging is good to a point; eventually "super fast" charging kills the batteries overall longevity. I don't mind changing the logistics of how I "fuel up" my vehicle on adventures (meaning, I'd rather be able to add 140mi in 20 minutes and do that x 10 years of regular use than add 200 miles in 30 minutes and need to replace my battery 4 years from now).

"One thing Rivian can do is come out with a trip planner with range estimates specific to the R1T and R1S, locations of charging stations, etc. A lot of that exists already for EVs in general but those Rivian specific estimates will help."
-They're integrating that function into their trip computer/GPS. It'll offer routing to charging stations and project your range, etc. Supposedly will inform you of open charging banks, how many cars there/wait time, stuff like that. Don't know if it will (it should!) integrate w/ 3rd party charging companies. In the future this will all be so routine and standard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is, being able to see the vehicle in person (and even drive it) so you can be more confident in your decision.
I had a chat with Rivian customer support and asked about test drives. I was told that they were working to make these possible. The chat agent indicated that she would really like to drive a vehicle before purchasing it as well.

I just hope I don't have to fly half-way across the country to test drive a Rivian. But, with the commitment that my first EV will be, I think I'd probably even be willing to do that. Especially with flights being pretty cheap right now. With any luck they'll take a pre-production model on tour to let pre-orders try it out in various locations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thing Rivian can do is come out with a trip planner with range estimates specific to the R1T and R1S, locations of charging stations, etc. A lot of that exists already for EVs in general but those Rivian specific estimates will help.
A Better Route Planner (abetterrouteplanner.com) has already included Rivian specs in an alpha version. I've played with in for a few long weekend trips that my family is planning and it seemed to work pretty well getting distances and charge stops based on the 300-mile range estimates.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a chat with Rivian customer support and asked about test drives. I was told that they were working to make these possible. The chat agent indicated that she would really like to drive a vehicle before purchasing it as well.

I just hope I don't have to fly half-way across the country to test drive a Rivian. But, with the commitment that my first EV will be, I think I'd probably even be willing to do that. Especially with flights being pretty cheap right now. With any luck they'll take a pre-production model on tour to let pre-orders try it out in various locations.
That's what I found out as well and posted here: Where To See A Rivian In Person It will be great if we can share info on test drives in that thread.
I included a link to Rivian's mailing list where they'll send out notifications about the next event.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's what I found out as well and posted here: Where To See A Rivian In Person It will be great if we can share info on test drives in that thread.
I included a link to Rivian's mailing list where they'll send out notifications about the next event.
So the email from Rivian today fit this discussion perfectly. Ten "experience centers" sounds like a good thing to me.

GATHERING AGAIN
Before the pandemic, we had the pleasure of hosting events around the country and meeting many of you in person. These were incredibly memorable moments for our team and we look forward to bringing people together again safely in 2021. We’ll be launching 10 experience centers across the U.S. in 2021 — each one connecting you to the people, places and things you love.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for sharing the email @KevinT!

While we wait, creating a checklist of things to look out for, ask about, etc. when we finally see them in person and speak to the brand reps will be a good idea. Anyone here already gave this some thought?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for sharing the email @KevinT!

While we wait, creating a checklist of things to look out for, ask about, etc. when we finally see them in person and speak to the brand reps will be a good idea. Anyone here already gave this some thought?
Already thinking about things to do when I can test drive one, assuming they will bring it to my house:

1) I have a dirt spot all picked out to try the tank turn, 1.5 miles from my house, plus some off roading
2) Plug it into my Chargepoint Home Flex EVSE and check out the charging light in front
3) Take it on the freeway and check it out at 75mph
4) Drain the battery down and plug it into one of the EA 350KW chargers near my home
5) Hook up my boat trailer and pull it for a few miles, including on the freeway, then back it into my garage with trailer assist

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the initial system is 400V and does not include the patent for switching to 800V, than 200KW is the maximum charge rate. CCS current limit is 500 amps, and at 400 volts that is 200KW, simple math. To have higher than 200KW, the system needs to charge at 800V.

At a continuous 200KW that adds 70 miles in 10 minutes, which matches the 140 miles in 20 minutes, that they claim. So I do not believe there is any peak above 200KW. 20 minute = 67KW, which is right at 50% SoC for 135KW, so sustaining that for 20 minutes is not an issue. Taper will likely occur somewhere between 50% and 80%, but will not likely be exactly at 80%. Taper occurs to maximize battery life, and to prevent fires (safety).

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Already thinking about things to do when I can test drive one, assuming they will bring it to my house:

1) I have a dirt spot all picked out to try the tank turn, 1.5 miles from my house, plus some off roading
2) Plug it into my Chargepoint Home Flex EVSE and check out the charging light in front
3) Take it on the freeway and check it out at 75mph
4) Drain the battery down and plug it into one of the EA 350KW chargers near my home
5) Hook up my boat trailer and pull it for a few miles, including on the freeway, then back it into my garage with trailer assist
Looking forward to your feedback when the time comes. Those are some great real world tests to see how livable the R1T can be. Hopefully some automotive publications do similar testing when the media drives happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts