Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the vehicles have a constant connection to rivian over the Internet, through the nearest cell phone tower?

That is, is there a built-in radio, in effect, in the EVs that uses a pre-paid service to access rivian over the net, for OTA updates?

Mac

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes, Rivian vehicles will be cloud-connected, including sending telematics back to Rivian. They have LTE modems (cellular) but I would expect to be able to join WiFi networks, as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, is there any way to turn this off, if we do not want rivian to track us and know exactly where we go, how fast we are driving, etc?
Perhaps turn it on once a week, to get any updates?
Thanks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
So, is there any way to turn this off, if we do not want rivian to track us and know exactly where we go, how fast we are driving, etc?
Thanks.
Maybe? Until Rivian releases more information, we do not know.

Both my wife and I have "cloud-connected" vehicles and there is an option to disable sharing information. You will lose some functionality by doing so, however.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Rivian if you don't trust Rivian to have basic telemetry data. They can download all the data they want when they "service" your vehicle, anyway.

And turning it off/on won't help you, since Rivian said they've built the system to handle periods of time without connectivity. The vehicle stores the information until it has coverage and will upload it then.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, Rivian vehicles will be cloud-connected, including sending telematics back to Rivian. They have LTE modems (cellular) but I would expect to be able to join WiFi networks, as well.
From their webpage on "Connectivity": "4G and WiFi capability, Bluetooth pairing, wireless inductive charger, 6 USBs, 4 110V outlets, Alexa voice commands"

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks.
I personally look forward to this in the event I ever need to use my car as an alibi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts