Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my R1T for 3 months and it’s been nothing but issue after issue. Upon delivery there was scratches in the paint, hood misalignment, and one of the seat vents didn’t work. Additionally, mobile key did not work and air vents weren’t calibrated and moved in different directions every time the truck went to sleep then woke up.

IMO, very poor QC for a vehicle as expensive as the R1T. In the 3 months that I’ve had it, it’s been in the shop for 3 weeks + 1 mobile tech visit. Mobile key issue still persists, along with the air vent performance/calibration. Windows are slow to come up/down and often bug out and will go down when I’m signaling them to go up.

I’m wondering when enough is enough and sell vs keep.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had my R1T for 3 months and it’s been nothing but issue after issue. Upon delivery there was scratches in the paint, hood misalignment, and one of the seat vents didn’t work. Additionally, mobile key did not work and air vents weren’t calibrated and moved in different directions every time the truck went to sleep then woke up.

IMO, very poor QC for a vehicle as expensive as the R1T. In the 3 months that I’ve had it, it’s been in the shop for 3 weeks + 1 mobile tech visit. Mobile key issue still persists, along with the air vent performance/calibration. Windows are slow to come up/down and often bug out and will go down when I’m signaling them to go up.

I’m wondering when enough is enough and sell vs keep.
Same. Three times in the shop. Hood misalignment, tailgate misalignment, creaking on start stop, pulling to the right when driving. Three times in service since the end of May. Advisors incompetent or lying or just admitting that there’s nothing they can do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have had my R1T for 6 weeks and 800 miles without issue but each time I approach it I expect something to go wrong. I am not confident enough yet to trust it on a long trip.

I have toyed with the idea of selling it before it has issues so that I can be honest with whoever buys it. BUT I really like the R1T!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Rivian doesn’t care. They are trying to make as many cars as they can. Quality control taken back seat. Service probably behind the back seat in the gear tunnel.
I agree that Rivian is pushing out as many R1s as they can with the parts they have. Parts quality and QC are understandably not where it needs to be yet. But buyers of first of a kind beware.

IMHO Rivian does care.

·
Registered
253 Posts
7300+ miles and 2.5months of ownership, and while I have fixed a few tiny issues (gear tunnel door warnings (loose plug), loose screws, alignment (this i cant do), etc.) myself I can see where your (OP) is coming from. My last resort on issue is to contact CS but I am a Mech Engineer, have a home garage/shop with lifts and more so it's not worth the hassle to deal without having my truck. In time things will improve, they have growing pains but overall I am very happy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am much like FirstStateR1T, own a shop with lifts and so far I just do the little adjustments and fixes needed myself. I fixed one of the more annoying panel alignment bits that was pissing me off, there are others to chase when I have the time. Overall really enjoying the driving experience despite the first year QC issues that I expected from a new manufacturer. I have owned a lot of 'first year' production cars, had worse first year experiences for sure, Mazda put a new motor in my RX8 by this time in the first year of that model. I never owned a Tesla but have friends that had unmatched door panels and lots of other hilarious stuff and so far my Rivian seems better than those were.

But for the OP you might just flip the one you have and order another. You likely at least break even and odds are good that your next sample arrives in 6 to 9 months showing all the QC lessons that Rivian has learned in the first year.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You must not have owned any Tesla's early on? Those are minor compared to the issues I had to deal with in my Model S back in 2015. But like @Franksmartin said, those issues really don't seem like a big enough deal to want to just sell the car. But I guess each person is different on what they're willing to deal with.

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Volt, 2011 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD
7 Posts
7300+ miles and 2.5months of ownership, and while I have fixed a few tiny issues (gear tunnel door warnings (loose plug), loose screws, alignment (this i cant do), etc.) myself I can see where your (OP) is coming from. My last resort on issue is to contact CS but I am a Mech Engineer, have a home garage/shop with lifts and more so it's not worth the hassle to deal without having my truck. In time things will improve, they have growing pains but overall I am very happy.
I have not received my R1T yet but I am a mechanic and do most work on my own vehicles including my 2011 Chevy Volt that I bought new. When I see some of these post I still do question if I should actually buy the R1T or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No offense but these don't seem like major issues and should be expected from a very early adopter...
I know there's a "well, we're early adopters" vibe here, but this is not a Palm Pilot. It's a fundamental piece of transportation for $70k - $100k. For me, it would be my primary car and the key to going on the kinds of "adventure trips" I look forward to doing in the R1T. Isn't that the point? I'm still on board, but my expectation is this thing works as it's expected to. Yes, it's a startup. Yes, it's their first model. But Tesla paved a lot of the road already for high-performance EVs. You wouldn't have been ok buying a smart phone from a new company now feeling like it's ok if it doesn't work and needs a visit to the service center periodically. The smart phone itself is not new technology.
Again, still on board. And my truck likely won't be here for 12 to 18 months. But I sure hope by then, all the kinks are out.

·
Registered
R1T - Adventure - Limestone - 20” ATs
3 Posts
I am much like FirstStateR1T, own a shop with lifts and so far I just do the little adjustments and fixes needed myself. I fixed one of the more annoying panel alignment bits that was pissing me off, there are others to chase when I have the time. Overall really enjoying the driving experience despite the first year QC issues that I expected from a new manufacturer. I have owned a lot of 'first year' production cars, had worse first year experiences for sure, Mazda put a new motor in my RX8 by this time in the first year of that model. I never owned a Tesla but have friends that had unmatched door panels and lots of other hilarious stuff and so far my Rivian seems better than those were.

But for the OP you might just flip the one you have and order another. You likely at least break even and odds are good that your next sample arrives in 6 to 9 months showing all the QC lessons that Rivian has learned in the first year.

Curious as to what panel alignment issue you had and how you fixed it. I have a few with the gear tunnel panels and the front fender to passenger door.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know there's a "well, we're early adopters" vibe here, but this is not a Palm Pilot. It's a fundamental piece of transportation for $70k - $100k. For me, it would be my primary car and the key to going on the kinds of "adventure trips" I look forward to doing in the R1T. Isn't that the point? I'm still on board, but my expectation is this thing works as it's expected to. Yes, it's a startup. Yes, it's their first model. But Tesla paved a lot of the road already for high-performance EVs. You wouldn't have been ok buying a smart phone from a new company now feeling like it's ok if it doesn't work and needs a visit to the service center periodically. The smart phone itself is not new technology.
Again, still on board. And my truck likely won't be here for 12 to 18 months. But I sure hope by then, all the kinks are out.
Tesla did not pave the way for a new company to just have high quality from the beginning of their manufacturing process. They may have paved the way for technology, features, etc. Rivian is having to learn how to calibrate their machinery, how to quickly build out, etc all with quality. I mean look at the Model 3, Tesla was already mature at this point and still struggled with tons of quality issues at first....well they still do to some degree. lol

I am completely fine with some issues here and there, because I expect they will figure out a lot of these kinks over time. What I hope is that they don't do what Tesla does and stop offering loaners and giving out Uber credits. The big reason I didn't mind my Model S being in the shop was because I had another Model S in the meantime. If Rivian starts offering Uber credits, or even after more Trucks roll out, decides to use ICE as loaners, I will not be thrilled...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some people can tolerate "pain-points" better. I respect both sides of this argument. It is early and we should expect some issues but its a relatively expensive piece of computer hardware so we should expect some level of quality. I just want to be friends with all the engineers and mechanically inclined people on this forum. It's so cool that you have a shop and the knowhow to fix these things. One of my cars has been in the shop for 3 months because I ran over a pot hole and damaged the front splitter. My expertise is limited to driving it to the dealership and telling them that the splitter doesn't;t seem to work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some people can tolerate "pain-points" better. I respect both sides of this argument. It is early and we should expect some issues but its a relatively expensive piece of computer hardware so we should expect some level of quality. I just want to be friends with all the engineers and mechanically inclined people on this forum. It's so cool that you have a shop and the knowhow to fix these things. One of my cars has been in the shop for 3 months because I ran over a pot hole and damaged the front splitter. My expertise is limited to driving it to the dealership and telling them that the splitter doesn't;t seem to work.
your expertise is better than mine, b/c you apparently know what a splitter is!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tesla did not pave the way for a new company to just have high quality from the beginning of their manufacturing process. They may have paved the way for technology, features, etc. Rivian is having to learn how to calibrate their machinery, how to quickly build out, etc all with quality. I mean look at the Model 3, Tesla was already mature at this point and still struggled with tons of quality issues at first....well they still do to some degree. lol

I am completely fine with some issues here and there, because I expect they will figure out a lot of these kinks over time. What I hope is that they don't do what Tesla does and stop offering loaners and giving out Uber credits. The big reason I didn't mind my Model S being in the shop was because I had another Model S in the meantime. If Rivian starts offering Uber credits, or even after more Trucks roll out, decides to use ICE as loaners, I will not be thrilled...
I know it's no joke to manufacture a cutting-edge car at scale. It's kinda crazy that there are suddenly a handful of seemingly viable auto "startups". Tesla was predicted to fail and certainly paved the way for these folks, even to receive funding.

It's definitely an academic exercise. Like another poster said, different people have different tolerances for this with new products. I just don't want to get stuck on the top of a mountain with no cell service and a "bricked" Rivian. I would have my bike but have no idea how my wife would get home! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes exactly! For 90K my expectations are a bit higher, and this is my daily driver. Getting locked out of it because mobile and key cards fail is not something that should be happening.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have not received my R1T yet but I am a mechanic and do most work on my own vehicles including my 2011 Chevy Volt that I bought new. When I see some of these post I still do question if I should actually buy the R1T or not.
You should own one, and do so with confidence! Nothing has been difficult to fix for me and I hope it only gets better for all future owners...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts