Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not a deal breaker, the owl eye headlight is just bad design. Vehicle is nice sharp straight lines and the ovals are out of place. Looks like someone was trying for "cute" but that's out of place on a pickup, much less an off road pickup.

Putting them in the light bar horizontally makes the most sense.

Should not be too expensive to do. Cut out the oval and create a fiberglass plug in its place that contains the headlights mounted horizontally. One piece in and out. Buffing, sanding and paint.

It would give the truck a much better straight horizontal light bar with headlights.

Biggest issue would be whether the headlines would work horizontally.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
61 Posts
Lots to consider - levelling of light (legally speaking), whether there's any internal movement (ie. do the lights auto adjust for high beam, turn for corners, etc). The high beams alone would make it a no-go. If they ever upgrade these to one that allows for matrix headlights, who knows as you might be able to have more adjustability, but odds are changing the orientation will prevent proper alignment.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
222 Posts
another issue is the hood. The oval is in the shape of the hood, so you would have to adjust for that to ensure proper closing and sealing. The headlights serve a purpose and a nice distinctive look compared to other vehicle. I am sure seeing it in person several times it will grow on people.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have to see if the head lamp units provide satisfactory illumination on roadways which have little or no reflective pavement markings, or markers. To avoid warranty cancellation, may have to put supplemental lighting across the front on a chrome bar. Have had HID lamps in our SUV for 15 years and I like how the units can light up the roadway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have to see if the head lamp units provide satisfactory illumination on roadways which have little or no reflective pavement markings, or markers. To avoid warranty cancellation, may have to put supplemental lighting across the front on a chrome bar. Have had HID lamps in our SUV for 15 years and I like how the units can light up the roadway.
Also, just came across this posting about adaptive headlamps in USA:

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a final rule today(Feb. 15, '22) allowing automakers to install adaptive driving beam headlights on new vehicles. This satisfies a requirement in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law more than a year and a half ahead of schedule.

This final rule will improve safety for pedestrians and bicyclists by making them more visible at night, and will help prevent crashes by better illuminating animals and objects in and along the road.

“NHTSA prioritizes the safety of everyone on our nation’s roads, whether they are inside or outside a vehicle. New technologies can help advance that mission,” said Dr. Steven Cliff, NHTSA’s Deputy Administrator. “NHTSA is issuing this final rule to help improve safety and protect vulnerable road users.”

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To avoid warranty cancellation, may have to put supplemental lighting across the front on a chrome bar.
Don't see a warranty issue. Lights are always an expendable. Don't see hood mechanics as there should not be any latching in the headlight area.

Only issue would be how the lights illuminate the road in horizontal position vs. vertical and if their range of adjustment would allow enough reorientation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The lights are the only design aspect I'm not a fan of. It just looks out of place. Everything else is nice.
I agree with that. I slight change would be nice. Even the blacked-out light strip across the front looks better to me. Regardless, I will still take it as it is - the rest overrules this one objection.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, the closest would be to look at the following emojis:
Current:😶
What you're asking:😑

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would give it some time. The headlights were at first a bit jarring to me when I first saw them back in 2018, now I think they are absolutely one of the the most fundamental & critical elements of the entire design (and they appear to be extremely well-thought out in terms of functionality from all of the reviews. I would imagine that there are lots of other things behind that panel (wires, grommets, housing, perhaps safety and perception) and I would think Rivian would look very negatively on any and all alterations to the vehicles lighting. The lighting is like a signature for Rivian at this stage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts