Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Has Rivian range so far been satisfactory for your needs?

• Yes

• Sometimes

• No

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Rivian R1T, 600hp Fisker Karma, Taycan Turbo
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although I recently acquired a beautiful Tahoe blue R1T on 20 AT the range frankly has been the only downside. After putting roughly 20k miles on it (mostly highway & offroad) I actually considered trying to acquire the more efficient rims. Unfortunately, countless headaches and setbacks have made buying new rims + tires expensive and frustrating.

· Registered
Rivian R1T, 600hp Fisker Karma, Taycan Turbo
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Although I reasonably recently acquired a beautiful Tahoe blue R1T in my 20s the range frankly has been the only downside. After putting roughly 20k miles on it (mostly highway & offroad) I actually considered trying to acquire the more efficient rims. Unfortunately, countless headaches and setbacks have made buying new rims + tires expensive and frustrating.
I realized I accidentally posted this before I had finished writing it.

Edit:
I am planning on building aero caps in hopes of getting about a 5-8% highway boost in range. I have some CFD and 3D printing knowledge, so I am very interested to see what comes of this. I suspect the vast majority of owners will have satisfactory amounts of range with the R1T, but for hypermilers like me, I really hope I meaningfully increase the range.

· Registered
34 Posts
Although I recently acquired a beautiful Tahoe blue R1T on 20 AT the range frankly has been the only downside. After putting roughly 20k miles on it (mostly highway & offroad) I actually considered trying to acquire the more efficient rims. Unfortunately, countless headaches and setbacks have made buying new rims + tires expensive and frustrating.
Wow. You already put 20k on it? I am on 4-5k and I thought I was pretty decent mileage, but wow.. Any issues after 20k?

· Registered
46 Posts
Got my R1T in April. Have 7000 miles on them and with the 21 inch wheels. When local I remove those aero covers as it makes the wheels soooooo much nicer. However when I go on a road trip and need the miles, I reinstall them back again as it does make a difference in efficiency. Adding or removing the covers takes all but 1 minute. I can only hope more tires manufacturers would produce tires for the 21 inch wheels as those OEM Pirelli's are blahh.

· Registered
526 Posts
I don’t know about The Rivian but the aero caps do nothing for my model 3. On at just over 4 years and 40k miles, I’ve run the same trips over and over with and without the caps, no difference at all. I do use them in the winter but to keep snow from getting in my rims and throwing out of balance.

· Registered
38 Posts
For the OP aero caps would be a cool add on for the 20"rims keep us posted. I bet however you would get more range if you simply changed up the tires on your 20s to a more road oriented tire. I would imagine perelli has a similar tire to the ones on the 21s but made for 20" wheels.

I have driven about 1600 miles this month with the 21s. With and without the caps. No noticable range difference. I haven't had the opportunity to take the truck on highways for extended 75 mph trips but daily 50-70 mph as well as 25-45 zones. Caps don't seem to make a big difference. Albeit 5% is 5%. Take it where you can get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts