Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't like the look of the Yakima SupDawg surf rack offered by Rivian, since rather than using the crossbar itself for setting the boards on top, the surf rack is raised off the bar and thats where the boards mount.

My Tesla uses T-Slot system so my Inno surf rack mounts flush to the cross bars and my surfboards sit on that. This makes it cleaner looking IMO.

Does anyone know what type of slots the crossbars have? They definitely look much larger than T-slot system, but I would hope is some kind of common mounting system so that you have options of accessories to choose from? Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, that would be great if it is, then my Inno rack will just transfer over. BTW, this is what my surf rack looks like, and as you can see, it is just those two pieces that secure to the rack, and use the crossbar itself as the area to lay the boards on. This is a cleaner more streamlined look in my opinion and I'd like to continue using it if possible:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a set of cross bars in preparation of my truck and was able to confirm it’s standard T-Slot system on the crossbars. I don’t get why you can’t readily find this info from Rivian. Even my guide asked around and couldn’t get a straight answer.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Hardwood

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Mode of transport

I bought a set of cross bars in preparation of my truck and was able to confirm it’s standard T-Slot system on the crossbars. I don’t get why you can’t readily find this info from Rivian. Even my guide asked around and couldn’t get a straight answer.

View attachment 7284
Sooo, although my Inno surf racks fit, when putting the crossbars on top of the truck, the antenna is taller than the cross bars themselves! That’s pretty crazy. So this won’t quite work:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love my crossbars, but a disclaimer should be made when these are mounted on the bed. There is no "headache bar". Anyone who put pipe or 2x4s etc on these could get impaled through neck or head shoudl there be a collision. Nothing to stop them but rear windows glass and headrest.

Be careful what you carry. If you carry pipe, mount these on the roof.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love my crossbars, but a disclaimer should be made when these are mounted on the bed. There is no "headache bar". Anyone who put pipe or 2x4s etc on these could get impaled through neck or head shoudl there be a collision. Nothing to stop them but rear windows glass and headrest.

Be careful what you carry. If you carry pipe, mount these on the roof.
Are there a lot of trucks that have this standard that a Rivian specifically would need such a ‘disclaimer’?Neither my Tacoma, T-100, or my Tundra had that. If I put racks on the bed and mounted pipes on them, I would have the exact same problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts