Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To other Rivian owners need some help with getting scammed on purchase thru Rivian owners forum Buy, Sell & Trade.

Seller Member Stephen_'s

Purchase these on 9/6 seller said he would ship ASAP now getting ghosted from this guy

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you
tom

·
Registered
177 Posts
lol, sorry for the edited post. So it looks like someone else is selling the same one:
www.rivian forums.com/forum/threads/rivian-cross-bars.8115

(I had to add a space in the url after 'rivian' because this site seems to change the url to this forum instead of the other forum)

Hope it's not a scam but seems fishy

·
Registered
352 Posts
To other Rivian owners need some help with getting scammed on purchase thru Rivian owners forum Buy, Sell & Trade.

Seller Member Stephen_'s

Purchase these on 9/6 seller said he would ship ASAP now getting ghosted from this guy

thank you
tom
I'm the other one. I blame myself. Saw the red flags and ignored them anyway, when I shouldn't. For me, a $400 reminder to stay vigilant. It's easy for us to get too complacent in life and I admittedly did in this case. All the red flags were there.
To anyone buying from an online forum, use protected payment services only. If someone just signed up for a form membership on the same day and has no posts, raise a red flag. If the deal is too good to be true, raise the other red flag. If they want you to pay and put pressure on you to pay quickly with unsecured services, raise another red flag, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
195 Posts
Mods need to implement a minimum post count (and/or waiting period from account creation) to start a classified listing. That would prevent the targeting of the scammers from starting an account and then trying to sell. There should be a minimum of 10 or 20 posts and/or 30 days from account creation to post a thread in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. This is a very common forum practice to prevent the casual scammer (still doesn't protect from users with bad intentions).

Hopefully you guys that got scammed used Paypal or similar service to protect yourselves.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Seller Member Stephen_'s

thank you
tom
Not to laugh at you but how could you not tell it was a scam? Name was Stephen, sent you a Venmo for a guy named mark and, for me, wouldn’t send me a picture of his license or anything with his address. I inquired on the same thing but knew instantly it was a scam.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i hope his entire family dies of a slow and painful cancer death KARMA IS A BITCH
These kind of people are the scum of the earth!
Just had another scam e-mail that a Geek Squad subscription was renewed at $349.99 and they wanted me to go into my computer and enter an bunch of info to remove it. That one, was pretty obvious to catch on to. I've had a slow day and called them about three times just to F*#% with them. Asked if they preferred lubricant or lotion before trying to F#$* me over. I'm usually pretty good at recognizing these things. Mad at myself that I let this one slip through.
If it was worth my time, I'd track them down. But, for $400, I just have to take it as a lesson learned and reminder that these scumbags are always lurking in every direction
Hopefully by posting this, we can save at least a few from making the same mistake, in which case, will be worth the small cost. Always need to stay on your toes.

Would certainly like to see the forum do a little better vetting of members they allow to try and sell stuff.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not to laugh at you but how could you not tell it was a scam? Name was Stephen, sent you a Venmo for a guy named mark and, for me, wouldn’t send me a picture of his license or anything with his address. I inquired on the same thing but knew instantly it was a scam.
Good for you. No need to pour salt in the wounds of others though. Congrats to yourself for being on your toes and not falling for it. Go give yourself a pat on the back. Then, go look in the mirror and smack yourself across the face for not showing a little compassion to some who might not have been paying as close of attention on a small transaction amount. Some people still like to have faith in the human race that there are good, genuine and honest people out there. In doing so, and trying to see the glass as half full rather than half empty, sometimes we might be a little too forgiving and relaxed. Lessons learned. Not the end of the world at $375 or $400 and hopefully this post helps keep others on their toes to recognize such scams. Doesn't help at all to have an "I told you so" type of response, after the fact.

Had it been real, clearly it would have been a good deal that many would have been jumping at, so would expect to have to act fast. No different than getting a good deal on a legit item where you have to act fast or lose out. Yes, the signs were there, but for $400, took a shot and didn't work. Life goes on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got scammed myself by Brandon who said he will ship the Wall Charger as soon as he gets paid.. Didn't know better and I lost $500. I reported the incident. so who knows if he ever gets caught and serve his time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Got scammed myself by Brandon who said he will ship the Wall Charger as soon as he gets paid.. Didn't know better and I lost $500. I reported the incident. so who knows if he ever gets caught and serve his time.
Sorry to hear it. I've posted some warnings. The forum added some steps that will hopefully slow them down. Don't like to admit to our mistakes, but hopefully sharing the experience helps slow these slimeballs down and possibly prevents others suffering from their scam. One day, it will catch up to them.

Red flags went up for me just as I was paying. The only reason I went forward is I knew there was someone else that wanted them and thought I'd lose out if I hesitated. Wish I had listened to my instincts, but that was the reason for me taking a lost shot at it. Even at my age, still living and learning.

Trust your instincts. Fortunately, mine was only $400. Fairly cheap lesson I guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear it. I've posted some warnings. The forum added some steps that will hopefully slow them down. Don't like to admit to our mistakes, but hopefully sharing the experience helps slow these slimeballs down and possibly prevents others suffering from their scam. One day, it will catch up to them.

Red flags went up for me just as I was paying. The only reason I went forward is I knew there was someone else that wanted them and thought I'd lose out if I hesitated. Wish I had listened to my instincts, but that was the reason for me taking a lost shot at it. Even at my age, still living and learning.

Trust your instincts. Fortunately, mine was only $400. Fairly cheap lesson I guess.
Well, $500 isn't the reason why I feel disgusted. I can live thinking that I donated the money to some person that is less fortunate than me. What I disgusted about is the fact that I cannot believe the people any more.. I was going to buy another item from eBay, but I couldn't because of the trust issue.

I was never scammed in the past, so that first experience really got me pretty hard.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, $500 isn't the reason why I feel disgusted. I can live thinking that I donated the money to some person that is less fortunate than me. What I disgusted about is the fact that I cannot believe the people any more.. I was going to buy another item from eBay, but I couldn't because of the trust issue.

I was never scammed in the past, so that first experience really got me pretty hard.
I hear ya. E-bay at least, does have some buyer protections if the seller doesn't perform. Internet forums are a free for all and unfortunately, offer us no protection. Using paypal to pay for goods (not to transfer money among friends), also offers protections, similar to credit card fraud protection. So don't let it spoil all of your online experiences. Just double check that you have some protection if you run across another one of these low-life's again!. I agree, sad what many people have become. Fortunately, they're not all bad, but sad that we're forced to always keep our eyes peeled for the bad apples that are out there.

Take care, best of luck to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts