Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
As previously mentioned, Driver+ will kick you out on it's own... But there are other times when it's safer to manually cancel then want to resume quickly -- interchanges and offramps are two examples.
Exit and interchanges... you are likely changing speed zones.

I think we need to agree to disagree.
Keep fighting for your resume.

·
Registered
266 Posts
From a SW perspective, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be hard to implement. I think the larger problem is that the stalk doesn’t have enough contacts (say, pull/push in addition to up/down). One tap for ACC, two to resume & three for D+ might not be the best UX.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have ACC engaged, why are you tapping the brake or turning pausing the cruise?
When I drive through rural areas, which is the bulk of my daily driving, I often pass through towns that have a lower speed limit than the highway that leads into and out of them. I will pause the ACC, drive at the lower speed, and then hit 'Resume' to return to the previously set highway speed under ACC. It is annoying AF that my Tesla doesn't have a 'Resume' function and I have to re-set the speed again when I exit towns. Every single car/truck I have ever owned (except my Tesla) has had a 'resume' function for the cruise control, even those with ACC. Why Rivian and Tesla sometimes feel the need to be different for different's sake is beyond me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From a SW perspective, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be hard to implement. I think the larger problem is that the stalk doesn’t have enough contacts (say, pull/push in addition to up/down). One tap for ACC, two to resume & three for D+ might not be the best UX.
It could be as simple as pressing the end of the stalk, like you would for engaging 'Park'. The system should be more than intelligent enough to know that you're not going to want to go into 'Park' while in motion.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It could be as simple as pressing the end of the stalk, like you would for engaging 'Park'. The system should be more than intelligent enough to know that you're not going to want to go into 'Park' while in motion.
Generally not good design to re-use buttons for such different purposes.

Would be easier to just have one tap down on the stalk "resume".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Generally not good design to re-use buttons for such different purposes.

Would be easier to just have one tap down on the stalk "resume".
But they already do for the multi-function buttons on the steering wheel. Those buttons control the audio and ACC, but can also be used to set mirror and steering wheel positions.

Actually, now that I think about it, it may make even more sense to have 'Pause/Resume' be a press right center button, which would put it with all the other ACC controls.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Right now, holding the “Park” button while moving engages the oh-sh*t emergency brake.
A press while in motion brings up a warning. You need to press and hold to engage the e-brake.

But yeah, I think the idea of pushing the center button of the right multifunction makes much more sense. And it should be doable through a software update.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
But they already do for the multi-function buttons on the steering wheel. Those buttons control the audio and ACC, but can also be used to set mirror and steering wheel positions.

Actually, now that I think about it, it may make even more sense to have 'Pause/Resume' be a press right center button, which would put it with all the other ACC controls.
Yes that would make more sense. Controls can be multi-purpose when they don't perform an emergency function. Pushing PARK while driving causes emergency braking, so that button shouldn't be used for anything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Resume is really needed in a few scenarios:
  • Often after a manual takeover, you're often traveling at a slower speed than your target speed. When I re-engage the cruise control, I'm clicking + a bunch of times - this should be one tap (and why resume exists on all cruise controls since well...ever)
  • Auto-resume lane keep while in driver+ after I complete the lane change! So much extra stalk-clicking on long freeway drives. Even my Subaru does this. I find myself driving without the lane keep if I know I'm going to be changing lanes at all in the next few miles.

One other unrelated "one-tap" item needed:
- Let me flip on the windshield wipers once. If I come out in the morning to a misty window (or partially), the auto wipers don't often catch it. At low speeds with light precipitation, the auto-wipers are not sensitive enough, so I have to manually flip up to engage the "sprinkle" mode, then back down again.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
One other unrelated "one-tap" item needed:
- Let me flip on the windshield wipers once. If I come out in the morning to a misty window (or partially), the auto wipers don't often catch it. At low speeds with light precipitation, the auto-wipers are not sensitive enough, so I have to manually flip up to engage the "sprinkle" mode, then back down again.
doesn’t tapping the button on the end of the stalk do this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is one of the issues I have with this "buttons are the enemy" approach to car design that's going on. We have an Audi A6 that has ACC and, while I do think the cruise control stalk itself is a hot mess, it has a resume function that I use quite often. Yeah, I can just let the car slow down in traffic, but if I want to move between lanes, while I CAN let the car handle braking/acceleration while doing so, I'm WAY better at it than the car. Not being able to hit resume once you get through the traffic, just doesn't make any sense. Unless, of course, you're afraid of buttons and trying to control everything in the car with a limited number (you won't get more over an OTA). Or a fanboi who thinks everything an EV maker does is a great new paradigm. Like adjusting dash vents on a touchscreen.

The [non-ACC] cruise control stalk on our X5 is brilliant; no on/off button - push the stalk forward to engage the current speed, push it forward again to increase, pull it back to decrease, push a button at the end to resume, push it up or down (or press the brake) to disengage. Push it up or down again to turn it off. Don't have to look at it or even really think about it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts