Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Curb weight concerns

Tags
weight
7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  empickle 
#1 ·

This video mentions the 7K(est) curb weight as a concern. I've never owned a truck, so all of this is new to me. But is this a genuine concern, and is the estimate usually off by quite a bit? I also wonder if this is why Motor Trend had to replace the tires 1-2 times while testing if they're getting worn down faster due to the weight. I have my own rooftop tent that weighs about 130lbs and I was potentially going with the camp kitchen which may bring this closer to the 8500 limit for a road trip with 4 adults.

#9 ·
GVWR is 9000lbs on the quad motor (all initial R1Ts) Payload is listed as 1700lbs. So it is safe to assume the curb weight is around 7300lbs, roughly the same as a 3/4 ton p/u. I don't know what specific tires they were running on this test rig, but I would bet that the load rating for each tire was near 3000lbs each. So the curb and cargo weight should have not been a factor in the tire failure. The article mention a puncture which can occur to any tire regardless of weight. Also, the Ram TRX also suffered a tire failure (puncture) which is an expected occurrence while off roading.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

#10 ·
I think the tire punctures was a result of the trails they were going on and the driving rather than just the weight of the truck. On the flip side, the R1T completed the Rebelle Rally and the drivers praised the way the tires handled the race.

Rivian notes there's still some work to be done before the R1T hits the road next year, and my truck is not without its preproduction foibles. (Ask my co-pilot about when her seat heater randomly turned on in the middle of a 100-degree day.) But this thing easily survived eight days of intense off-roading, through tough dirt and dunes. Even when running at 38 psi over rocks, the stock Pirelli Scorpion tires never let me down, and I never once got a flat.

The Rivian R1T has some mighty strong bones. And if it's this good through the toughest terrain, the fully fleshed-out production model should be nothing short of a game-changer.

#13 ·
Don't forget the 830 horses and over 900 ft of torque, plus when vehicle isn't yours you don't treat it the way you would your own so drifting in the corners on the gravel a rock can easily slice your tire, plus the weight 5800 pounds . It is a serious machine and deserves respect otherwise it might bring you the whole range of problems.

#14 ·
The R1T's GVWR is 8,532 pounds. Putting it in 3/4 ton truck territory.

• Toyota Tacoma: GVWR = 5,600 lbs
  • Ford Ranger: GVWR = 6,050 lbs
  • Nissan Frontier: GVWR = 6,012 lbs
  • Ford F-150 Hybrid: GVWR = 7,350 lbs
  • Toyota Tundra Hybrid: GVWR = 7,660 lbs
  • Rivian R1T: GVWR = 8,532 lbs
  • Nissan Titan XD: GVWR = 8,800 lbs
  • Chevy Silverado 2500: GVWR = 10,850 lbs

#15 ·
The R1T's GVWR is 8,532 pounds. Putting it in 3/4 ton truck territory.

• Toyota Tacoma: GVWR = 5,600 lbs
  • Ford Ranger: GVWR = 6,050 lbs
  • Nissan Frontier: GVWR = 6,012 lbs
  • Ford F-150 Hybrid: GVWR = 7,350 lbs
  • Toyota Tundra Hybrid: GVWR = 7,660 lbs
  • Rivian R1T: GVWR = 8,532 lbs
  • Nissan Titan XD: GVWR = 8,800 lbs
  • Chevy Silverado 2500: GVWR = 10,850 lbs
I still can't find confirmed numbers on that, some places report it 5800 others 8500 , any official link without speculation and opinions would be appreciated.
Looking how nimble it is and that it floats in water dipper then 90cm , as well as its fully except frame made of aluminum also taking in consideration the size makes me lean more towards a lower number, battery is the heaviest part of the truck but hard to believe it weighs more then big ass engine with all transmission and full tank of gas .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.