Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. I’m getting cold feet. I’ve driven the same car for the last 18 years and have put 220k miles on it. Never spent this much on a vehicle.
Love the idea of electric and have reservations for both the lightning and R1T and my number came up first for R1T after changing my config. Theoretically I can pick it up Saturday if I sign for my financing tomorrow…

just getting cold feet with economy being like it is etc. but at the same time inflation numbers have been so crazy that I feel like if I wait a year I won’t be able to get a truck for this price. I want to use this and drive this until a lightning comes up for me and then choose which I like best and sell the other.
I would think resale on R1T especially given limited supply will still be good. Of course the risk is that something happens or company goes under. If there’s bad press like an R1T catches fire and burns down an orphanage or something good luck selling one.

so. Current owners. Given bad AC , no android/CarPlay, poor text integration, and some other flaws etc. are you happy? Would you purchase again?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well - I got mine on Friday and I am not looking back. I have owned 5 EVs 2 Leaf’s, 2 Teslas, BMW i3 and now the Rivian. So far I love the Rivian the most. My 10 cents (which is not worth much) is this. 1) If I did not own a Tesla I would think this is the best thing. The software is behind the Tesla but they have the parts to get it there in place. Thus I fully expect them to address texting and other features. 2) The build quality on mine is fantastic. 3) CarPlay - well I really like carplay, but I dont miss it that much. Spotify integration is great, map works well and I just stream from my iPhone from my favorite podcast app. So I almost did not do it. This is seriously expensive but when they rolled back the price the difference was $17k. I feel like I got a great deal. F150 costs more when you try to match the Rivian. That along with the tax credit the worst that can happen is you go to carmax and let it go or sell it on this forum and make your money back with profit. Finally - no vehicle is perfect. It has flaws but for me its because it is missing a lot of Tesla features I like such as Nav on Autopilot, lane change, and a more robust app. Also today I saw gas at $6.59. I am cool with my 9 cem kWh at home. Good luck. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes VERY happy one month in. Problems and bugs will always bubble to the top in these forums. Happy customer tells 1 person. An unhappy customer tells 10. Not really true that... I tell every person I see how much I love this thing, I just do it in person vs on forums. But I'll tell you what, as soon as I spot something that pisses me off, I'll go straight to the forums for a discussion on it. But right now I'm silent and extremely content. Borderline smug 😁

Yeah the thing is hot sometimes (San Diego) but it's a massive moonroof that just needs some simple added tint or a full aftermarket shade if you live somewhere in the 100s. No biggie in my mind, but I am for sure biased! My Subey Outback is a furnace too if I leave the sunroof shade open.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well - I got mine on Friday and I am not looking back. I have owned 5 EVs 2 Leaf’s, 2 Teslas, BMW i3 and now the Rivian.
You are one EV ahead of me ownership wise (cross out one LEAF & substitute i3 with Taycan). So the fact that you’ve had a similar previous experience to my own makes me a little more comfortable as my scheduled delivery date approaches. Experience does make you wiser; in 2014 I had no hesitation clicking the ACH button for my sight-unseen Model S. Three EV’s later, my finger circled the “Sign” button on the Purchase Agreement eDoc for quite some time.

Remember the good ‘ole LEAF Guess-O-Meter? 😥

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and I love it ! I was spending $150 to fill the tank of my Dodge Ram vs about $32 worth of electricity (charging at home) for the same amount of driving. It's quiet, smooth riding and easier to park it tight spots. I've not experienced any problems so far. I'm planning a longer trip later this month and I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
YES. Feels very odd and antiquated to drive an ICE truck or SUV now. No looking back. Still haven't really touched the brakes in the R1T. Driving with Regen on HIGH is a total game changer. Having to use brakes and not getting regen out of stopping feels like such a waste to me now (when driving an ICE vehicle). Not paying for gas and finding free charging here and there is just icing on the cake. Having solar installed on your house is just gravy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thrilled. Not a previous EV owner except for my Specialized. I came out of a gladiator and it’s better than expected. More luxurious than I was expecting and the speed is hard to really appreciate until you drive it. I’ve had 3 people drive mine and order one immediately. I’m in Texas and haven’t had any AC issues. One screw loose (not mine), a bad Fob and a minor rattle (downside of EV, you hear everything) are my only minor issues. I’m over 1500 miles and I don’t plan on taking mine on big trips and I put chargers at at both locations I use it, so no battery drama. As the previous owner said, the pre juice and primo parking spots at the movie theater are just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
not sure if this will resinate but I'll toss it out anyway. We've got 2 older Tesla's that both are old enough to include free supercharging. We've had our R1T since March. I drive the R1T every day. For the most part the T's stay in the garage. Sold my F-150 shortly after getting the R1T. I do miss the F-150 (marginally) but I'll get over it. I'm willing to deal with the missing software in the R1T, the lack of a reliable charging network, the potential of bugs that could leave me on the side of the road for hours... If it helps I also drove a Yoda for ± 14 years and put over 250k miles on it. There was a time when I thought I'd never sell that truck. My advice - keep your fond memories of the old work horse and move on to the new pony that'll most likely surprise you with how versatile and powerful it can be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well - I got mine on Friday and I am not looking back. I have owned 5 EVs 2 Leaf’s, 2 Teslas, BMW i3 and now the Rivian. So far I love the Rivian the most. My 10 cents (which is not worth much) is this. 1) If I did not own a Tesla I would think this is the best thing. The software is behind the Tesla but they have the parts to get it there in place. Thus I fully expect them to address texting and other features. 2) The build quality on mine is fantastic. 3) CarPlay - well I really like carplay, but I dont miss it that much. Spotify integration is great, map works well and I just stream from my iPhone from my favorite podcast app. So I almost did not do it. This is seriously expensive but when they rolled back the price the difference was $17k. I feel like I got a great deal. F150 costs more when you try to match the Rivian. That along with the tax credit the worst that can happen is you go to carmax and let it go or sell it on this forum and make your money back with profit. Finally - no vehicle is perfect. It has flaws but for me its because it is missing a lot of Tesla features I like such as Nav on Autopilot, lane change, and a more robust app. Also today I saw gas at $6.59. I am cool with my 9 cem kWh at home. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Hi just wondering can you please elaborate on your statement that software is still behind Tesla? I bought a Tesla Model S a month back and contemplating between model S and R1S. So any comparison with Tesla in general and infotainment and software will be very much helpful!!! Your truly ….

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Long story short. I’m getting cold feet. I’ve driven the same car for the last 18 years and have put 220k miles on it. Never spent this much on a vehicle.
Love the idea of electric and have reservations for both the lightning and R1T and my number came up first for R1T after changing my config. Theoretically I can pick it up Saturday if I sign for my financing tomorrow…

just getting cold feet with economy being like it is etc. but at the same time inflation numbers have been so crazy that I feel like if I wait a year I won’t be able to get a truck for this price. I want to use this and drive this until a lightning comes up for me and then choose which I like best and sell the other.
I would think resale on R1T especially given limited supply will still be good. Of course the risk is that something happens or company goes under. If there’s bad press like an R1T catches fire and burns down an orphanage or something good luck selling one.

so. Current owners. Given bad AC , no android/CarPlay, poor text integration, and some other flaws etc. are you happy? Would you purchase again?
A couple of the things you mentioned can be fixed with a software update if that helps. What's the spec of your R1T that arrived?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah for any current or previous Tesla owners can you please share some insight in how is the overall experience or comparison? While ideally I would have liked a comparison between R1S and model S (2022) but any Tesla model can R1S/R1T would go a long way. I am really confused. I really like my Tesla but sometimes feel for how much I am paying Rivian might be a better choice plus added third row is seriously amazing!! I do love Tesla software/infotainment but don’t see any game changer per se except maybe autopilot and some of streaming integration. I mean the display is fantastic along with graphics and ability to park and watch movie, play games with my son (so exciting!!!) and having some small fun stuff but other than that I really couldn’t find anything revolutionary experience in the infotainment section. Of course the acceleration is sick and love the handling and corner turns… so if you were to compare the overall experience of your new Rivian with Tesla would really appreciate some detailed comparison. Thanks so much in advance!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and I love it ! I was spending $150 to fill the tank of my Dodge Ram vs about $32 worth of electricity (charging at home) for the same amount of driving. It's quiet, smooth riding and easier to park it tight spots. I've not experienced any problems so far. I'm planning a longer trip later this month and I'm looking forward to it.
Yes VERY happy one month in. Problems and bugs will always bubble to the top in these forums. Happy customer tells 1 person. An unhappy customer tells 10. Not really true that... I tell every person I see how much I love this thing, I just do it in person vs on forums. But I'll tell you what, as soon as I spot something that pisses me off, I'll go straight to the forums for a discussion on it. But right now I'm silent and extremely content. Borderline smug 😁

Yeah the thing is hot sometimes (San Diego) but it's a massive moonroof that just needs some simple added tint or a full aftermarket shade if you live somewhere in the 100s. No biggie in my mind, but I am for sure biased! My Subey Outback is a furnace too if I leave the sunroof shade open.
Congrats on getting your R1Ts! Do any of you guys have photos of your R1Ts you can share?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not directed at me but I own both brands so I'll give my 2 cent opinion.
Tesla has years of a head start over Rivian. Rivian has some of the same direction I'm guessing that may be based on Rivian poaching Tesla engineers. The UI in the two vehicle is different. Is Rivian better or worse? I'd say both. Worse where it's missing stuff. Silly stuff, like the only time is in the upper right corner of the far screen. It's also in a grayed out small font. For the life of me I can not read the time of day on the Rivian UI. If I need to know the time I tap my phone that normally charging on the center console. The clock is just an example of the immaturity of the Rivian UI. I believe it will mature over time. But in other ways Rivian is more "grown up". I don't ever anticipate Rivian engineers will be spending time on a fart machine. That is literally a reflection on Elon vs RJ. Which is really the root of the issue. Since the OTA will improve (or at least modify) the UI over time. The question to ask is: Which do you want to bet on 5 years from now? That's assuming you plan to hold on to the vehicle. IMO Tesla will ultimately solve the FSD problem. But I think it's still years away. I think Rivian will ultimately license that tech from someone else. But for daily creature comforts like getting phone integration... I'll bet on RJ being practical where I think Elon is arrogant enough to think he's smarter than Apple/Google and will never solve that issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That makes sense.
For those asking my build is:
El Cap
BM interior
21” road tire
Spare tire
Pierre tonneau
Few extras accessory wise. No kitchen or tent.
just scheduled delivery for 2 weeks from today

·
Registered
Launch Edition
101 Posts
Almost 4 weeks in and I don't regret it at all. It's my first daily driver EV and I was a little hesitant that way, but as for Rivian or the truck, I've no remorse. I am a startup fan- preordered back in Nov '18. I like to see poeple succeed and will do my part to assist in that if it is something that can benefit me as well. Sure, there are going to be bumps along the way, but there is much more history to them beyond their first delivery. Any issues with your vehicle will be resolved. They have a vested interest in making sure of that. As a first run, first everything, owner, you kinda have to expect things to maybe not be as smooth as a manufacturer that's been making millions of cars/trucks. Some have complained about the lackluster communication, and again, they are very busy at something they are very new at so a little patience is required.

As for your market swing comment, that's inevitable and will happen regardless of what you own and, as always, it will swing back up once again. You need to look at CoO here though. While your payment may be a little higher, your maintenance costs and hopefully fuel (energy) costs will be as well. Short term, if you take the truck and then decide you made a mistake for you, then as many have said, you'll easily be able to recoup all your costs and maybe a bit extra - as long as your lender allows you to sell it quickly (not all do).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with mosts of the posts here.
I was having some anxiety when it came down to taking delivery. The bottom line is there is not a vehicle on the planet I would trade my truck for period. Will there be some bumps along the way? Sure. I don’t care about that and I know rivian will take care of me no matter what.
I was lucky weight to meet RJ at a Bay Area event back before CoVid hit and it solidified my trust in this company. My advise is take delivery on the truck and don’t look back

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my R1T for 1 month on June 19th and I absolutely love it! (LA Silver R1T, Launch Edition, 20" AT, full off road package) I use it as a daily driver and have put many miles on it, almost 2200 so far. I cannot believe that a truck can drive so great. I am missing the apple car play and texting by voice, but I have adapted and I am confident that Rivian will get some of those things worked out. I have not had any major issues to date and anything I have encountered have been resolved very quickly. I am a first time EV owner and have no plans to go back.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts