Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Launch Edition
96 Posts
YES. Feels very odd and antiquated to drive an ICE truck or SUV now. No looking back. Still haven't really touched the brakes in the R1T. Driving with Regen on HIGH is a total game changer. Having to use brakes and not getting regen out of stopping feels like such a waste to me now (when driving an ICE vehicle). Not paying for gas and finding free charging here and there is just icing on the cake. Having solar installed on your house is just gravy.
That's what gets me the most is braking. When I drive my wife's ice, I find myself having to remember to use the brake right away, plus the power thing is just nuts. I thought her car was peppy enough, but now it feels like a slug. Find myself flooring it everywhere.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Congrats on getting your R1Ts! Do any of you guys have photos of your R1Ts you can share?
Here's a shot from the day I picked up at the factory. There were 2 LG LE's in the delivery center. I asked if both were part of my delivery, one for my wife and one for me ? They wouldn't go for that.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not directed at me but I own both brands so I'll give my 2 cent opinion.
Tesla has years of a head start over Rivian. Rivian has some of the same direction I'm guessing that may be based on Rivian poaching Tesla engineers. The UI in the two vehicle is different. Is Rivian better or worse? I'd say both. Worse where it's missing stuff. Silly stuff, like the only time is in the upper right corner of the far screen. It's also in a grayed out small font. For the life of me I can not read the time of day on the Rivian UI. If I need to know the time I tap my phone that normally charging on the center console. The clock is just an example of the immaturity of the Rivian UI. I believe it will mature over time. But in other ways Rivian is more "grown up". I don't ever anticipate Rivian engineers will be spending time on a fart machine. That is literally a reflection on Elon vs RJ. Which is really the root of the issue. Since the OTA will improve (or at least modify) the UI over time. The question to ask is: Which do you want to bet on 5 years from now? That's assuming you plan to hold on to the vehicle. IMO Tesla will ultimately solve the FSD problem. But I think it's still years away. I think Rivian will ultimately license that tech from someone else. But for daily creature comforts like getting phone integration... I'll bet on RJ being practical where I think Elon is arrogant enough to think he's smarter than Apple/Google and will never solve that issue.
Thanks for the perspective. Am yes a hard decision. I definitely love tech and infotainment system plays a huge part in that. Yes for sure the comfort and the ride is imp but being electric a more intelligent, smoother and nicer graphics, good integration with other software companies will definitely make the overall experience refreshing and useful. So am a bit concerned if Rivians UI does not seem to be having good features.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve had mine for a month and have been very happy with it.
There’s still annoying bugs (phone based unlocking doesn’t work well, audio streaming doesn’t work for the first ~1 minute, tonneau seems like it may not last) and missing features (texting from the UI, controls from the app, etc). I suspect most of this will get improved over time. Even if it doesn’t, I’m still happy with the tradeoff.
It drives great and acceleration is awesome. It’s fun and works well for trips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can someone maybe share some screenshots from their Rivian infotainment system? Like what are the features available? How good is the experience? How is the graphics rendering? Is it janky or smooth? Any new updates since you received delivery? Does the center screen size suffice for daily usage? Is there any options to play games or watch videos? Also am a bit concerned or disappointed they don’t have display for the second row passengers. That’s a big miss I would say!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can someone maybe share some screenshots from their Rivian infotainment system? Like what are the features available? How good is the experience? How is the graphics rendering? Is it janky or smooth? Any new updates since you received delivery? Does the center screen size suffice for daily usage? Is there any options to play games or watch videos? Also am a bit concerned or disappointed they don’t have display for the second row passengers. That’s a big miss I would say!!!
There’s a lot of videos of the UI if you search online.
In generally works well. Graphics are good and animations are smooth. Screen quality is good. Size is appropriate. It’s similar to my model3, but feels bigger because the center screen doesn’t need to have the speedometer, etc on it.
Voice control is mediocre.
Features are somewhat limited right now. Basically you have NAV and Spotify/tunein. No games or videos. This isn’t really a surprise. They’re likely concentrating on core functionality for now and will add features over time. If you’re looking for something that’s polished and full featured on day one, then going with a new manufacturer may not be for you. Tesla has more features for sure, but they’ve evolved over years to get to this point.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The thing is, at the end of the day, this is still a TRUCK. In a world full of BYOD and USB-C charge ports, I'm not sure missing a rear infotainment screen with mediocre resolution compared to an iPad or Surface is going to be such a big miss. Hell, I can't get my kids off their iPhone screens in the back seat (and we have a couple of iPads). The center display is excellent- the graphics are great. I would never want to play video games while sitting off to either side of the center screen thought. I could see watching a movie or show during a charge being a really good feature. I was surprised by the U/I. I thought it would be much more raw and basic. I thought I would miss CarPlay more. I continue to be impressed that this is their first vehicle and how well thought-out everything is. Others have made the point that it isn't perfect, and I would agree. But there is so much potential for incremental improvements.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My updated window puts me pretty much right on 4 years since the day I reserved to the date I (theoretically) take delivery. I have vacillated over the last year or so on what I think of the company, and the running of it. At this moment in time I am more sure than ever that Rivian will declare bankruptcy long before it satisfies the current backlog of orders.

The cash burn, the stock tank, the fact they commited to build 60K trucks at an insane loss. Hiring is nightmarish. Material prices out of control. Transport costs now exploding. They need to dump cash into Georgia. They need to ramp up dramtically in Normal.

For all the talk of delivery delays, build quality and the BS R1 "Slop" (you all realise they are duping people into taking a truck they didn't want?)....there really is very little postives in the 18-24 month lookahead. It is going to be brutal. Ugly. Full blown battle for survival and I don't like the generals in charge.

Reactions: TessP100D

·
Registered
97 Posts
My updated window puts me pretty much right on 4 years since the day I reserved to the date I (theoretically) take delivery. I have vacillated over the last year or so on what I think of the company, and the running of it. At this moment in time I am more sure than ever that Rivian will declare bankruptcy long before it satisfies the current backlog of orders.

The cash burn, the stock tank, the fact they commited to build 60K trucks at an insane loss. Hiring is nightmarish. Material prices out of control. Transport costs now exploding. They need to dump cash into Georgia. They need to ramp up dramtically in Normal.

For all the talk of delivery delays, build quality and the BS R1 "Slop" (you all realise they are duping people into taking a truck they didn't want?)....there really is very little postives in the 18-24 month lookahead. It is going to be brutal. Ugly. Full blown battle for survival and I don't like the generals in charge.
Thanks! Haven’t even finished my coffee and I am now depressed with that wonderful outlook. 😱

I hope you are dead wrong and Munro is right that Rivian will be one of the last three standing!

Have a great day! 😉

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks! Haven’t even finished my coffee and I am now depressed with that wonderful outlook. 😱

I hope you are dead wrong and Munro is right that Rivian will be one of the last three standing!

Have a great day! 😉
Munro likes the product. That doesn't mean he has a clue about the company's survival. He also knows enough to know it is about 25K too cheap at pre-increase prices. 10K too cheap at new prices. The company is on a steady downward slide to bankruptcy....what is the lever to pull to bring them back up? Who is going to pull it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Rivian is playing the long game based on the raise from their IPO. Some good points about the current state of affairs in the world and supply chain challenges, but keep in mind, this cuts across all OEM's racing to build EV's. Rivian became relevant and a threat when they were first to market with the R1T. Also keep in mind that Rivian has been pretty clear on delivering LE's and Large battery pack vehicles PRIOR to Max-packs and R1S's. They were delayed in delivering the R1T, and that is causing a hangover effect on Max and R1S for sure. They are also likely stretched thin with the new service centers ramping up, and are being smart about controlling deliveries regionally. Blasting out a brand new vehicle in multiple configurations all over the country as fast as possible would be of much more concern than the slow roll.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tesla operated at a loss for many years, may even still be. The question is, is RJ’s war chest is as big & full as Hank Scorpio’s?

Smile Jaw Cartoon Gesture Thumb

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rivian is playing the long game based on the raise from their IPO. Some good points about the current state of affairs in the world and supply chain challenges, but keep in mind, this cuts across all OEM's racing to build EV's. Rivian became relevant and a threat when they were first to market with the R1T. Also keep in mind that Rivian has been pretty clear on delivering LE's and Large battery pack vehicles PRIOR to Max-packs and R1S's. They were delayed in delivering the R1T, and that is causing a hangover effect on Max and R1S for sure. They are also likely stretched thin with the new service centers ramping up, and are being smart about controlling deliveries regionally. Blasting out a brand new vehicle in multiple configurations all over the country as fast as possible would be of much more concern than the slow roll.
All true but I'm still picturing deckchairs on the Titanic. The whole 'first to market' thing is vapor. The Lightning is on the road now, the fact a handful of R1Ts were delivered a couple of months before will be forgotten, if it hasn't been already. The Lightning is a truck built by the most stable car company in history in the line of the most stable and popular truck ever. The very fact it is being delivered now is a massive problem from Rivian that most are not admitting - if Rvian had beat them to the road by a couple of years it would be less of an issue but essentially they have started the race at the same time and I don't like Rivian's stamina pedigree.

The vast majority of people I mention Rivian to...as in "I have a Rivian reservation, I'm hoping to get it this year"....ask me,"who makes it?"..."what is Rivian" "how do you spell that"...then they sort od dismiss it because they don't know it and don't care to learn.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tesla operated at a loss for many years, may even still be. The question is, is RJ’s war chest is as big & full as Hank Scorpio’s?

View attachment 6544
We all need to stop comparing Rivian to Tesla. And for the record they made 3.3B in profit in the first quarter alone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I bought my MS, very few people knew who Tesla was except the scientist.

IIRC, Ford & Rivian started about the same time. My R1T delivery is scheduled for this week. No one at the Ford dealership can tell me the status of my reservation. Compared to Rivian, Ford has all the capacity in the world to build moar F150Ls if they wanted to. But they’re not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We’ve owned 2018 Tesla Model S P100D and current have a 2021 Model 3 Performance. I was driving 2019 Ram 3500 dually, I still have my Ram, but now it only tows heavy loads now (like my balls; that’s a joke). Anyway, I picked up my R1T on 2 June. It is hands down the best purchase I’ve ever made! If you do a straight up comparison to any EV out there, you get more for your money buying a rivian than Tesla. I don’t know how Rivian is making money. My demo 2018 Model S was about $130k, it only came with 2 motors and air suspension. I got a loaded out R1T with every option, with tax included for $90k. This truck is worth so much more money, but forget the money for a sec, it is fun to drive. The R1T is a real quality of life booster.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge, 2020 Ford Ranger, 2022 Rivian R1T
2 Posts
2700 miles on my R1T and I couldn't be happier. There have been some small issues however Rivian Service has been amazing. I've owned many trucks and the R1T has been the most comfortable and most enjoyable to drive. The only thing that get annoying is being stopped a dozen times a day and being asked, "who makes that truck"...Can't wait to get my R1S end of the year.
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

21 - 40 of 64 Posts