Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've said it before, not a chance the Cybertruck would beat anything to market. Tesla is famous for LONG delays. 5 something years for the Model X originally. 2+ years for the Model 3. To their credit, the Model Y made it out pretty quickly, but, it was effectively just a body change from the Model 3. After managing to get people to put up $50,000 deposits, $250,0000 if they wanted the first edition, the roadster was supposed to be out over a year ago. Tesla is still happily sitting on customer's interest free money, just as they are with all those who paid $10,000 for Full Self Driving 3+ years ago and are still waiting, or have since sold their cars or turned them back in. The Semi was supposed to be out two years. The Cybertruck was supposed to be out in 2021. The following article pretty much assures that it will be AT LEAST another year or two out. Tesla hasn't even figured out the battery chemistry for it yet. So, Rivian at least, doesn't have to worry about that competition threat. GM and Ford are the two likely to be close to their target dates, simply from experience.

Just as Tesla ate up the premium EV market by being the first to market with no competition, I hope that Rivian is able to deliver on time. They have a golden opportunity to establish themselves as the standard when it comes to EV pickups. I hope they're able to capitalize on it. Would be huge for them to be the only game in town for at least a little while. Here's hoping to no more delays!

Must Says Cybertruck Would Cost $1,000,000.......

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yup, Just saw this

Looks like it won't be around until 2022 at the earliest. This makes me feel better about the small delays Rivian has had.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A threat to what? Plenty of space in the market to coexist. Also, Tesla seems to be tapping into the douche segment; not exactly competitive. Middle aged upper middle-class buyers will likely stick with something more traditional (from my perspective as a member of that crowd).

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is little more than 5 months till 2022 and no guide has contacted me about how our vehicle is to be outfitted and how we are going to pay for it. So if Cybertruck production starts soon after the first of the year as is very possible, Rivian will not have any long headstart. Rivian started development many years ago, so it has not set any speed records for reaching production quick. This discussion is really not helping to get Rivian to communicate with pre-order holders, thus there is little point.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is little more than 5 months till 2022 and no guide has contacted me about how our vehicle is to be outfitted and how we are going to pay for it. So if Cybertruck production starts soon after the first of the year as is very possible, Rivian will not have any long headstart. Rivian started development many years ago, so it has not set any speed records for reaching production quick. This discussion is really not helping to get Rivian to communicate with pre-order holders, thus there is little point.
While there are certainly people who will go with whichever one hits the market first it's not a perfect subset of potential Rivian buyers. I've lived in the real world long enough to recognize that getting out of the gate is not a quick process. I've bought into Kickstarters with far less complex products than this which experienced a year-long delay in production so I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over this. It's just a vehicle. If the production specs don't appeal to me I'll ask for my $1,000 back and move on. There's nothing else on the market that is as appealing but that doesn't mean there won't be at some time in the future.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
A threat to what? Plenty of space in the market to coexist. Also, Tesla seems to be tapping into the douche segment; not exactly competitive. Middle aged upper middle-class buyers will likely stick with something more traditional (from my perspective as a member of that crowd).
I predict a lot of Mustangs will be sold when the Cybertrucks arrive. :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
I predict a lot of Mustangs will be sold when the Cybertrucks arrive. :D
The average consumer knows next to nothing about electric. My conversations with friends over the past 6 months have been mostly one-sided and met with disinterest. I didn't even bring up the topic before then because it would have been like explaining algebra to a cat. My takeaway: very few buyers are looking for electric. Something needs to capture their interest and imagination. The enthusiasm on this forum is illusory because in the real world people are not that interested yet, so it doesn't matter which comes out first, they're not in the market for an electric car yet.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Let’s look at the math …. If Tesla builds 2 million CT’s, and Rivian has build 70,000-100,000… well, you don’t see the threat to Rivian’s success ? you must be joking.

·
Banned
473 Posts
The average consumer knows next to nothing about electric. My conversations with friends over the past 6 months have been mostly one-sided and met with disinterest. I didn't even bring up the topic before then because it would have been like explaining algebra to a cat. My takeaway: very few buyers are looking for electric. Something needs to capture their interest and imagination. The enthusiasm on this forum is illusory because in the real world people are not that interested yet, so it doesn't matter which comes out first, they're not in the market for an electric car yet.
Well said.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Let’s look at the math …. If Tesla builds 2 million CT’s, and Rivian has build 70,000-100,000… well, you don’t see the threat to Rivian’s success ? you must be joking.
That assumes demand for 2 million CyberTrucks. At $39,000 maybe there was something there (still not 2 million) but Tesla will be hard-pressed to deliver at twice the price.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That assumes demand for 2 million CyberTrucks. At $39,000 maybe there was something there (still not 2 million) but Tesla will be hard-pressed to deliver at twice the price.
Seriously, the base Model 3 starts at 47k, who realistically would think 39k is still a valid starting price for the Cybertruck, there is a reason all pricing has been removed from the page.

As per usual for Tesla, if the Cybertruck does ever see the street, I would be floored if the first units come in under 125k, as Tesla always build the fully loaded high end vehicles first. You can’t even get a Model X under 114k and 90% of that vehicle was designed 6 years ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've said it before, not a chance the Cybertruck would beat anything to market. Tesla is famous for LONG delays. 5 something years for the Model X originally. 2+ years for the Model 3. To their credit, the Model Y made it out pretty quickly, but, it was effectively just a body change from the Model 3. After managing to get people to put up $50,000 deposits, $250,0000 if they wanted the first edition, the roadster was supposed to be out over a year ago. Tesla is still happily sitting on customer's interest free money, just as they are with all those who paid $10,000 for Full Self Driving 3+ years ago and are still waiting, or have since sold their cars or turned them back in. The Semi was supposed to be out two years. The Cybertruck was supposed to be out in 2021. The following article pretty much assures that it will be AT LEAST another year or two out. Tesla hasn't even figured out the battery chemistry for it yet. So, Rivian at least, doesn't have to worry about that competition threat. GM and Ford are the two likely to be close to their target dates, simply from experience.

Just as Tesla ate up the premium EV market by being the first to market with no competition, I hope that Rivian is able to deliver on time. They have a golden opportunity to establish themselves as the standard when it comes to EV pickups. I hope they're able to capitalize on it. Would be huge for them to be the only game in town for at least a little while. Here's hoping to no more delays!

Must Says Cybertruck Would Cost $1,000,000.......
All preorder money may spend in Germany GIGA factory !!! LOL...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.