Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
A threat to what? Plenty of space in the market to coexist. Also, Tesla seems to be tapping into the douche segment; not exactly competitive. Middle aged upper middle-class buyers will likely stick with something more traditional (from my perspective as a member of that crowd).

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is little more than 5 months till 2022 and no guide has contacted me about how our vehicle is to be outfitted and how we are going to pay for it. So if Cybertruck production starts soon after the first of the year as is very possible, Rivian will not have any long headstart. Rivian started development many years ago, so it has not set any speed records for reaching production quick. This discussion is really not helping to get Rivian to communicate with pre-order holders, thus there is little point.
While there are certainly people who will go with whichever one hits the market first it's not a perfect subset of potential Rivian buyers. I've lived in the real world long enough to recognize that getting out of the gate is not a quick process. I've bought into Kickstarters with far less complex products than this which experienced a year-long delay in production so I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over this. It's just a vehicle. If the production specs don't appeal to me I'll ask for my $1,000 back and move on. There's nothing else on the market that is as appealing but that doesn't mean there won't be at some time in the future.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I predict a lot of Mustangs will be sold when the Cybertrucks arrive. :D
The average consumer knows next to nothing about electric. My conversations with friends over the past 6 months have been mostly one-sided and met with disinterest. I didn't even bring up the topic before then because it would have been like explaining algebra to a cat. My takeaway: very few buyers are looking for electric. Something needs to capture their interest and imagination. The enthusiasm on this forum is illusory because in the real world people are not that interested yet, so it doesn't matter which comes out first, they're not in the market for an electric car yet.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Let’s look at the math …. If Tesla builds 2 million CT’s, and Rivian has build 70,000-100,000… well, you don’t see the threat to Rivian’s success ? you must be joking.
That assumes demand for 2 million CyberTrucks. At $39,000 maybe there was something there (still not 2 million) but Tesla will be hard-pressed to deliver at twice the price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.