Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a Model 3 owner I can confirm the power drain using Sentry mode which is why I set it to OFF at Home. There is also a parasitic drain amongst all EV’s that are parked that to my knowledge only the Main battery cutoff switch can stop. If you are parking the vehicle in a garage for weeks or longer perhaps it would be a good idea to use this switch, but really the drain is not that much a concern in reality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a Model 3 owner I can confirm the power drain using Sentry mode which is why I set it to OFF at Home. There is also a parasitic drain amongst all EV’s that are parked that to my knowledge only the Main battery cutoff switch can stop. If you are parking the vehicle in a garage for weeks or longer perhaps it would be a good idea to use this switch, but really the drain is not that much a concern in reality.
I could be wrong but the 3-6 kWh drain in a 24hr period seems excessive. That’s like a space heater running for 2-4 hours. Could a handful of what are essentially webcams plus a small processor really draw that much power?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Also, "checking in" via the app or website frequently will prevent the system from going in to deep sleep mode where hardly any current is drawn from the battery.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's immediately noticeable to me when my ICE car won't start after sitting in the driveway for a couple of months without use ... My only point was that battery drain while sitting is normal, familiar, and has nothing to do with whether the vehicle is an EV or an ICE.

This drain comes from battery self-discharge and from electronic devices on the car which may be constantly using some power even when the vehicle is off.

Regardless, I agree with the above that a continuous draw of 125W-250W is excessive. Something is running that shouldn't be running. It could even be a software bug that isn't shutting something down (quickly fixed with an OTA update after the issue is found and fixed). But it could also be something you've left on. Gear guard is a good suggestion, but look at everything.

·
Registered
461 Posts
FWIW, my I-Pace has virtually no power draw when sitting locked. It goes into deep sleep after 48 hours but even before then the power drain is virtually nonexistent. Admittedly the software tech aspects of the I-Pace are pedestrian compared to Tesla or Rivian but still, it should be possible to reduce power draw to close to zero. Whenever someone reports a drain on the I-Pace forum it's usually some buggy behavior. Most owners don't have a drain.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If Sentry is disabled at home, inverters are off, etc... it could be software tweaks will need to be done OTA to reduce parasitic drain.

What was the outside air temps lately?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts