Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another popular Rivian forum, but figured I'd share here as well. Please dispense with the "you should have secured your load" comments, thank you. It was an emergency situation at one of my rentals and I threw some gear in the back. It happened.

Pretty disappointed with this one. I went to do some work at one of my rentals and had a bunch of gear, including my tool box, in the bed of the truck. Due to the slick nature of the plastic in the bed, I knew some sliding would be inevitable. Anyway, it did slide around and when someone cut me off, the tool box slid into the the fore section of the bed. I heard it, but thought nothing of it. It wasn't until I got to the spot and took everything out that I noticed that damage had occurred. This is not acceptable for what was should have been a non-issue. Sure, I could have put the tool box in the back seat, put some anti-slide material in bed, or whatever, but this is a luxury, "durable", work and play truck. I've had 7 or 8 trucks over the years and have had FAR worse in-bed impacts with zero damage. The pictures speak for themselves. I could be wrong, but I think those oval holes are drains and not snaps as the panel (with Rivian logo) is secured by bolts behind the round covers you see.

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Rectangle Grey

Automotive tire Black Grey Wood Black-and-white

Automotive tire Grille Hood Automotive lighting Rectangle

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Wow. Unsecured loads can be quite dangerous. Even so, that does seem like an unacceptable amount of damage. I have been disappointed in the durability of the bed plastics when it comes to chemical resistance and scratching/nicks. This is not something I'd expect from established truck manufacturers.

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
262 Posts
Pop the screw covers off (use a pick or small screwdriver) and there are 10mm bolts under there that you could take the front panel off (I found 2 of these bolts rolling around in my bed one day). Definitely looks like it is cracked, but probably could get the bottom edge back in the retaining holes/slots, and wouldn't notice it too much. Seems like there should be more support behind the black plastic panel, or maybe some foam to fill in the gap between the panel and the sheet metal. That would help absorb the impact, and also provide more sound deadening, though I guess that is just the gear tunnel on the other side.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pop the screw covers off (use a pick or small screwdriver) and there are 10mm bolts under there that you could take the front panel off (I found 2 of these bolts rolling around in my bed one day). Definitely looks like it is cracked, but probably could get the bottom edge back in the retaining holes/slots, and wouldn't notice it too much. Seems like there should be more support behind the black plastic panel, or maybe some foam to fill in the gap between the panel and the sheet metal. That would help absorb the impact, and also provide more sound deadening, though I guess that is just the gear tunnel on the other side.
Thanks man. I noticed one of those bolts when I popped a cover off this morning and then it started downpouring here, so I retreated inside. I will give it a go when the weather cooperates. I also looked behind the felt piece in the gear tunnel and saw that there's a thin metal plate between it and the bed liner. There's also a large junction box with tons of wires and connectors. If someone were to stuff too much crap in the gear tunnel, it could easily cause connector/wiring damage as the felt piece is just a piece of ultra thin plastic. Totally agree that the area I damaged should be better reinforced. It was just a plastic 30lb or so tool box.

· Registered
28 Posts
Thanks man. I noticed one of those bolts when I popped a cover off this morning and then it started downpouring here, so I retreated inside. I will give it a go when the weather cooperates. I also looked behind the felt piece in the gear tunnel and saw that there's a thin metal plate between it and the bed liner. There's also a large junction box with tons of wires and connectors. If someone were to stuff too much crap in the gear tunnel, it could easily cause connector/wiring damage as the felt piece is just a piece of ultra thin plastic. Totally agree that the area I damaged should be better reinforced. It was just a plastic 30lb or so tool box.
I hope the R2s don’t have plastic beds. Just carrying a bicycle in the back scratched my bed up pretty good and it wasn’t even rolling around

1 - 6 of 6 Posts