Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R1S Launch Edition with 310 miles delivered in September, 2022. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and did not leave the level 2 charger in charger port. When I returned the vehicle was totally dead and there is no way to manually open charge port. We tried jump starting the 12v batteries which allowed the charge port to open but the vehicle would not take a charge.
Called Rivian service on Saturday, service dispatched on Tuesday. Service Techs had to replace both 12v batteries. Originally, Rivian was going to charge $1000+ (asked for authorization) to replace batteries because it was my fault I left vehicle for 2 weeks without being charged. After explaining to service, that I wasn’t told that vehicle needed to have continuous charging when not being used, they waived the charge. I currently own a Tesla, Mustang Mach E and previously owned 2 Chevy Volts and a Chevy Bolt and none of these vehicles ever had an issue like this.
RIVIAN OWNERS MAKE SURE YOU KEEP VEHICLE “PLUGGED IN” IF NOT BEING DRIVEN ON A CONTINUOUS BASIS.

· Registered
109 Posts
There is no way that an owner should be responsible for the fact that the 12V batteries lose charge after 2 weeks simply because the vehicle isn’t plugged in. What the hell are you supposed to do if you drive the R1S to the airport and leave for a 3 week trip?

Between the ‘Vampire drain’ issue and the vehicle killing the 12V batteries, Rivian needs to get this fixed.

I have left my ‘19 etron unplugged and locked in my garage for 3 weeks, and at the airport for 2 weeks and it didn’t even lose 1% of its SOC!

· Registered
26 Posts
My wife had in mind to park her 2020 Kia Soul EV in March 2020 for 1 Week on the Canadian Mainland (West Coast) before departing to an Island. Then Covid-19 travel restriction came and 9 Weeks later she was able to get back to her car. The actual Range had "increased" by 1 km due to a higher ambient Temperature and all systems worked.

· Registered
53 Posts
IMO a completely dead truck after two weeks is unacceptable. I’ve left my car for that long for a single vacation in the past. I think my airport has a half dozen EVSE stalls, and that’s Detroit Metro, one of the largest airports in the country.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts