Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presumably nothing has changed with the Texas dealer laws that would prevent Tesla and Rivian from delivering through service centers since the legislature got busy with some "emergency" legislature at the end of 2021.

Does anyone know more about this? Utah already has a service center so Rivian is clearly moving forward in states where it knows that deliveries can be made so I wonder if there's someone who knows more about how this will play out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure about delivery center deliveries, but it seems to me I see people take delivery at Tesla service centers. When we purchased our Model 3, all paperwork done via email was handled out of state. Then payment had to be made before they would ship the car from CA to TX. That’s the two key points, as long as paperwork handled out of state and car was manufactured out of state, then the delivery can occur at home or at a delivery center. Rivian being produced out of Texas shouldn’t really cause any hiccups to the process. I would be more concerned with the Texas Gigafactory cars not being able to be delivered to Texans without leaving the state. Although, time will tell. I’m sure Elon will lobby to get legislation to change as he did choose to build his factory in Texas and move headquarters. Can’t imagine Texas wanting to make it difficult for him to do business.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For what it is worth, I asked customer service if I should take delivery in CO instead of TX to get the vehicle faster. I was told that location will not impact delivery timeline.

Like others here I bought a new Tesla (in Houston) and it was an easy process. Better than the standard dealership experience in my view.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Another question (or two) with regard to the lack of a dealership...
  • Will a trade-in offset the price with regard to Texas sales tax since this is not going thru a dealership OR because a third party might be contracted by Rivian to accept the trade-in?
  • Will banks in Texas have an issue with auto financing for a "new vehicle" since the purchase is not going through a dealership?

Bonus question:
* I received a State of Texas rebate when I previously purchased a new hybrid vehicle; will the the lack of a dealership disqualify me for this rebate if the rebate program is funded again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would guess that this is just going to condition people to accept online buying and before you know it, everyone will get used to buying a car from Amazon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts