Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current owners, are there any “table stakes” missing from your R1T that you miss from your Tundra, F150, Silverado or other contemporary ICE vehicle? For example, Homelink.

While I’m excited to get the truck, I just don’t want to be to surprised by some of the creature comforts I’m used to being missing.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
dimmer switch is a rheostat to adjust the brightness of the dash Illumination. Every other vehicle I’ve owned/considered has had a physical control in easy reach of the driver. I use it multiple times when driving at night — it’s a huge safety feature, imo. I’ll turn the brightness all the way up when reversing so I get full contrast on the screen for the camera. But I’ll turn it way down when moving forward to maximize my night vision. In some vehicles, the screens can be so bright they actually hurt my eyes. My wife had a vehicle where I had to actually turn the center screen off, at night, because even the dimmest setting hurt.

rivian doesn’t have a physical control to adjust brightness. It’s a big disappointment, imo.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Organized storage in the cockpit area for small stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 CarPlay (biggest thing here for me is text message integration, music and podcasts would be nice - but staying productive while on a long drive is huge)
Ability to add lumber/ladder rack. I frequently need to haul 10 to 16' material. It just not possible with the R1T without a flat bed trailer.
+1 on cab organization. The cubby under the drivers seat isn't a substitute for the missing glove box
Fold down rear seats. I miss the ability to create a flat surface for storage in the rear seat area. The gear tunnel is great, but not big enough for stuff like a miter saw
Obvious by my comments - I'm using my R1T as a work truck, not an adventure vehicle. (Somebody's gotta pay for this toy ;). )
All that said - I do miss my F-150 - but wouldn't go back to it on a bet. The pros - way out weigh the cons. To everyone that asks me if I like my truck (at least once a day I get that question). My standard response is "it was worth the 3.5 year wait and I'd wait again if I had too"

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 CarPlay (biggest thing here for me is text message integration, music and podcasts would be nice - but staying productive while on a long drive is huge)
Ability to add lumber/ladder rack. I frequently need to haul 10 to 16' material. It just not possible with the R1T without a flat bed trailer.
+1 on cab organization. The cubby under the drivers seat isn't a substitute for the missing glove box
Fold down rear seats. I miss the ability to create a flat surface for storage in the rear seat area. The gear tunnel is great, but not big enough for stuff like a miter saw
Obvious by my comments - I'm using my R1T as a work truck, not an adventure vehicle. (Somebody's gotta pay for this toy ;). )
All that said - I do miss my F-150 - but wouldn't go back to it on a bet. The pros - way out weigh the cons. To everyone that asks me if I like my truck (at least once a day I get that question). My standard response is "it was worth the 3.5 year wait and I'd wait again if I had too"
One more - note to Rivian: Please add: Dog Mode!!! (a la Tesla) I'd like to take my dog to the job site with me, but can't deal with the constant checking of the app to see what the cabin temp is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
head light & windshield wiper controls, manual vent controls, having my phone automatically connect for music, having visibility of different systems at once vs all on screen control, and my biggest issue is leaving the vehicle with everything running.

While I am sure there are workarounds for some of the above, I miss the simplicity of these on my ICE vehicles

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here’s one: what’s the deal with the “passive” Caribiner? All my other cars I can walk up to & just touch the door handle to get in as long as the fob is in my pocket. I’ve read this isn’t the case on the R1T.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe there is a clever way they could turn one of those multi function wheels on the steering wheel into a dimmer… but they already do a lot with those I think (don’t have my truck yet but did have the first mile drive a few months back)

·
Registered
44 Posts
agreed. I am a bit surprised Rivian hasn’t offered this as an accessory compatible with their mount system. It would make things much easier for folks with long kayaks or canoes as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, apparently you’re expected to have a machine shop to make your own jack pucks unless you buy the spare tire. So why not design your own compatible lumber rack? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Maybe there is a clever way they could turn one of those multi function wheels on the steering wheel into a dimmer… but they already do a lot with those I think (don’t have my truck yet but did have the first mile drive a few months back)
Honestly, I’d be happy if they just implemented something like the iPhone. A quick swipe down from the corner of the screen and I have a virtual slider for brightness.

alternatively, let me set two brightness presets, one for the camera view, and one for when the camera isn’t being displayed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts