Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m debating, do I pay for truck with the bigger OEM rim combo or do I get one with the default 21” rim and tire combo..... or do a wheel and tire package from TireRack etc?

I mocked up a couple colors with some generic black wheels and on road tires, I’ll have to do some more as I don’t think these wheels look good. BUT, it’s always nice to have options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was originally going for the bigger wheel on-road setting, but as my kids get older and living in the PNW, we will do more and more off-road adventures, so I will go with the OEM 20” and all-terrain/weather tires. I think you can’t go wrong with this truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably smart choice. We can always change out the wheels if we had too without having to add them to the financing. Would be nice to off-road again like when I was 16. I could post a now and then photo, that would be very cool.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I don’t want to go the aftermarket wheel route because most aftermarket wheels have terrible quality and with an EV weight matters, too. I’m stuck between 20” and 22” options. Originally I thought I’d live with the 21” and save the initial cost, but cost for replacement tires for that size scare me, and the 21” design is ugly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The bigger wheels ride rougher, and do not do as well as the smaller ones in mud or snow, because of the shorter, less flexible sidewalls. And the bigger wheels look hideous.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don’t want to go the aftermarket wheel route because most aftermarket wheels have terrible quality and with an EV weight matters, too. I’m stuck between 20” and 22” options. Originally I thought I’d live with the 21” and save the initial cost, but cost for replacement tires for that size scare me, and the 21” design is ugly.
There are plenty of aftermarket wheels out there that are lighter and better made than OEM wheels.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
For those going aftermarket, how much range would you be okay with losing, if you've factored it in already?

·
Registered
51 Posts
For those going aftermarket, how much range would you be okay with losing, if you've factored it in already?
Will be interesting, when I was looking at a tesla model 3 PE, I was going to put a larger wheel on it, but hoping not to loose mileage. I was looking at some forged BBS wheels and they were about 7lbs lighter than the stock wheels. Since we don't know wheel weight on the Rivian, it is so much more of an unknown.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Will be interesting, when I was looking at a tesla model 3 PE, I was going to put a larger wheel on it, but hoping not to loose mileage. I was looking at some forged BBS wheels and they were about 7lbs lighter than the stock wheels. Since we don't know wheel weight on the Rivian, it is so much more of an unknown.
Do you remember how much that BBS wheel set cost with tires?

For Rivian's stock wheel weight, 32-33 lbs is what the 20's on the Model X weigh, and could help us guesstimate what it will be here. Any guesses? Even an upper limit? On F-150's for the same size its 35 lbs. Safe to say Rivan will want to be close to Tesla's weight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The BBS wheel weights really depend on which wheel and construction. For a nice 20" forged wheel you are around 18 - 22 lbs. Huge variations, but if you got a really nice forged wheel that is say 20 lbs, you will likely loose 60 lbs of rotational mass. If you went with a lesser expensive flow formed wheel you are closer to 25 lbs. If you plan on hauling loads or a trailer, then other considerations come into play.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
46 Posts
I have the LE R1T pre-order, and chose the 21 inch road tires because I want the best range and less road noise. However, hearing that the 21 inch is such an odd size, it makes me wonder if getting the 20 inch would have a lot more options for the second set of tires. I was wondering if there is any chance that one could get Rivian to put "road" tires on the 20 inch rim? I really doubt will ever go off road...but if I did, maybe just get the all terrain 20 inch wheels, remove the AT tires, and purchase aftermarket 20 inch road tires. Anybody else have this concern...wanting road tires but not wanting an odd 21 inch size? Anybody ask Rivian???

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have the LE R1T pre-order, and chose the 21 inch road tires because I want the best range and less road noise. However, hearing that the 21 inch is such an odd size, it makes me wonder if getting the 20 inch would have a lot more options for the second set of tires. I was wondering if there is any chance that one could get Rivian to put "road" tires on the 20 inch rim? I really doubt will ever go off road...but if I did, maybe just get the all terrain 20 inch wheels, remove the AT tires, and purchase aftermarket 20 inch road tires. Anybody else have this concern...wanting road tires but not wanting an odd 21 inch size? Anybody ask Rivian???
Yes, the concern about odd tire sizing is common on the forums.

I strongly doubt that Rivian will let you choose a different tire. You pick the size wheel you want (20/21/22) and they're going to give you the ONE tire they've chosen for that wheel.

I think it's odd to replace good tires. Even if they're not what you'd buy for replacements, you may as well use the factory tires, imo. When you wear them down THEN you can decide what to replace them with.

If you want the best economy on a standard tire size, I'd get the 22" wheel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My son would LOVE it if I had the 20" AT wheels, so he could borrow my R1T for off-roading, and that may be a great option. Question is, what would be the price of adding an additional 4 wheels to put in the bed to have when I take delivery? It appears the upcharges are for 20" or 22" wheels, IF you are not getting a LE, so my thinking is the best deal if getting 2 sets of wheels to change out for street vs off-road, would be get the "free with LE" 20' AT wheels, and purchase as an add-on the hopefully lower priced 21' street wheels. Obviously, a lot more expensive, but best bang for the buck to "buy" the lesser expensive wheels. A whole lot easier to change tires if have 4 already on wheels sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
814 Posts
My son would LOVE it if I had the 20" AT wheels, so he could borrow my R1T for off-roading, and that may be a great option. Question is, what would be the price of adding an additional 4 wheels to put in the bed to have when I take delivery? It appears the upcharges are for 20" or 22" wheels, IF you are not getting a LE, so my thinking is the best deal if getting 2 sets of wheels to change out for street vs off-road, would be get the "free with LE" 20' AT wheels, and purchase as an add-on the hopefully lower priced 21' street wheels. Obviously, a lot more expensive, but best bang for the buck to "buy" the lesser expensive wheels. A whole lot easier to change tires if have 4 already on wheels sitting in the garage.
Least expensive option if you wanted two sets of wheels may be to get an aftermarket set.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would have to purchase both the wheels and the tires, and they need to be as close to the Pirelli specs as possible, so they will play nice with the R1T. If wanted two sets, would have to purchase the 20' wheels and tires aftermarket, as probably won't be able to find the 21' variety except from Pirelli, and bet the price will be steep.

Wonder if anyone else reading these forums has researched the 20' wheel/tire market to find an acceptable alternative AT tire? Would be very helpful as Rivian Guide may be contacting us soon to finalize our orders.

Also, for the spare tire...do you need a spare 20' and a spare 21" wheel/tire depending on which ones you are running at the time, or is there an acceptable smaller donut spare to get you by in a pinch until can replace? Haven't heard for sure what Rivian is offering as far as spare tires are concerned, but guessing it will be an add-on priced item. Maybe someone has an answer from Rivian CS agent...that appears credible.

I did send an email to Rivian about these questions, and will wait to see if they have good answers soon.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The BBS wheel weights really depend on which wheel and construction. For a nice 20" forged wheel you are around 18 - 22 lbs. Huge variations, but if you got a really nice forged wheel that is say 20 lbs, you will likely loose 60 lbs of rotational mass. If you went with a lesser expensive flow formed wheel you are closer to 25 lbs. If you plan on hauling loads or a trailer, then other considerations come into play.
Good to know! Thanks.
I'm really looking forward to something with carbon fiber if pricing, durability, etc. is what it needs to be.
Ford already sells them on a high performance version of the Mustang.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rivian CS response to my questions...

"We are currently completing our EPA certification on all of our tire options and will publish more detailed range numbers once complete. When those get released, you will have a better understanding of the range difference of tires and the cabin decibel level. Rest assured, our innovation and engineer teams have ensured a great experience for our Rivian community.

We are waiting for confirmation on whether purchasing additional tires at the final configuration will be available, so when your guide reaches out in a few months, those details can be discussed and finalized. If the additional purchase can be made, then the need to buy extra tires depends on the Rivian owner and their needs.

In regards to the spare tire, if you live in a state where the spare tire is required, it is included with your vehicle, but if you live in a state where a spare tire is not required, one will be available.

We also understand the concern about the availability of Pirellis tires and appreciate the feedback on potential availability. While the 21’ was designed for Rivian, we are aware there will be aftermarket options available for the 20’ and 22’ that are not Pirellis."

1 - 20 of 47 Posts