Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
In regards to the spare tire, if you live in a state where the spare tire is required, it is included with your vehicle, but if you live in a state where a spare tire is not required, one will be available.
If we live in a state that prohibits direct sales, it's my understanding that Rivian will complete the sale in an adjacent state. I wonder if they'll do the spare tire based on the law in our actual state? Or if they may choose another state, if available, that doesn't require a spare tire? Can we choose the state where we "take delivery"?

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
47 Posts
My 2017 Chevy BoltEV didn't come with a spare tire, but do come with Michelin puncture resistant self-sealing tires...great unless you get a side wall injury.

If one gets the 21" road tires, thinking a 21" spare road tire will be essential...as I have no idea as to how long it will take to find a replacement Pirelli road tire, considering this tire is Rivian specific, and wonder how long it will take for a tire dealer to special order it? Maybe Rivian will be the best source? Rivian really needs to speak out about this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
While I am going with the 22" dark, I am not overly concerned. The tire vehicle specific tire is nothing new. Then only thing may be the relatively low production numbers from Rivian, but Pirelli will still stock the tires as long as they are manufacting them. I honestly don't see this being very different than my current vehicles.

If you find it to be unnerving, buy some off the shelf 21" tires and sell yours. I have done that when I didn't like the stock rubber.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yes, but as long as you replace it with a tire that has the same circumference, you will be fine.
I checked TireRack.com and couldn't find a tire with the same circumference.

Rivian 21" wheels will come with a 275/55R21 tire. This has a circumference of 103.4" (according to Tire size calculator)

Tire rack carries a 275/50R21, but its circumference is off 3.4" at 100.0" (3.3% difference).

Is there a size you had in mind that would be the same circumference?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Damn, 3.4" is the closest tire size? That is an odd size. Only time I ever had an issue was when I had 19s years ago. Tires were expensive and uncommon. I replaced them once and they were substantially more money than the same tire in 20".

·
Registered
217 Posts
So I’m debating, do I pay for truck with the bigger OEM rim combo or do I get one with the default 21” rim and tire combo..... or do a wheel and tire package from TireRack etc?

I mocked up a couple colors with some generic black wheels and on road tires, I’ll have to do some more as I don’t think these wheels look good. BUT, it’s always nice to have options. View attachment 1459
View attachment 1460

·
Registered
217 Posts
I asked Rivian about aftermarket wheels

Thank you for reaching out to us, it's a pleasure to hear from you again! Rivian follows similar standards for wheel production as other auto manufacturers. Our 20" wheels on both the R1T and R1S are forged. The 21" and 22" wheel options are tilt cast and flow formed. Each wheel features a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, standard across all R1S and R1T models.

It's exciting to hear of your plans for the R1T. The team and I would love it if you shared images with us if you decide to put sand tires with beadlocks on the R1T! Playing in the sand or dirt with a vehicle can be lots of fun and it'd be awesome to see the R1T in its off-road element!

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
233 Posts
My 2017 Chevy BoltEV didn't come with a spare tire, but do come with Michelin puncture resistant self-sealing tires...great unless you get a side wall injury.
I got a nail in the middle of one of these and it went totally flat. Turns out it could not be repaired either, due to the goo inside the tire, no one could do a patch.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe the 21's are a unique size only to Rivian. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Which means you won't have as many tire options. I did a quick check online with a couple of tire companies and I couldn't find any 21s of that wheel size. I think this is a bit of a miss by Rivian to offer that as the standard wheel since its going to be pricey and hard to replace. Unless you plan to do zero to very little off-roading, I'd go with the 20s. You can always get an all-season 20 once the all-terrain wears out and you'll have dozens of options as that's a very common tire/wheel size.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
I said this before
I had a Ford from the 80s only 1 tire fit
It was cheaper to buy a different set of rims & tires than to put on the proper tires

DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED
I keep going back and forth on this between the 21"s and the 20"s. I don't plan on doing too much off-roading (and the ones I do, 4-season tires work fine), plus, I imagine there will be significant range loss with A/T tires. For now, I am leaning towards the 21" and when it is time to replace the tires, I will evaluate what is available in 21" vs a 20" wheel & tire option. I am hoping there will be more options for the 21" by the time I need new tires (I know the Model Y had very limited options when it first started selling and now there are 30 different tires available on Tire Rack but that is a much higher volume car than the Rivian).

21 - 40 of 52 Posts