Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure I completely understand how Rivian will open it’s driving autonomy function. Will they be capturing data from our vehicles as we drive the highways of America, and based on that data determined how and when to unlock the self driving functionality? If that’s the case, it would follow that where ever the higher concentration of Rivian vehicles are located geographically, that they would experience the earliest use of autonomous functions.
I would also suspect that if I’m by myself in Northwest Arkansas, one of very few vehicles providing data feedback in my area, that my roadways would be slow to receive autonomy. Is this a function that is overseen by the Rivian offices in the western United States?

·
Registered
799 Posts
They're going to offer basic LKAS and ACC functions right out of the gate, on any road. Then for roads they have sufficient data on (most likely licensed from a third party) they'll enable more functions like automated lane changes. This will likely be limited to major highways.

I don't know how much they'll be crowd-sourcing data from their own vehicles for purposes of enabling more roads for higher autonomous functions.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Welcome @Roger62175!

Aside from what @CommodoreAmiga stated this comment from @EyeOnRivian also helps.
Ditto ... really curious on how it will monitor the driver while in FSD mode. However, it's my understanding (some time ago from a Rivian press release or interview comment I believe) that each Rivian EAV at launch will be "capable" of Level 3 (hardware, not software) but will be Level 2 ready, meaning it will be able to perform functions considered Level 2. I believe it was either Charles or one of the head guys of autonomy (perhaps Oliver?) at Rivian that said they will use the Level 2 data collected to help them develop the Level 3 autonomy. He didn't say how long, as you probably would expect, but if that's the case, one could imagine it will be a few years from now (2019) before it's ready for prime time. ... And probably a little longer than that for me before I let my EAV drive itself. :ROFLMAO:
So in the meantime, better put on a few more pots of coffee while we wait. :coffee:
Good one to watch ...

Have you noticed most of the other auto execs talk far less and execute more?
Don't believe the hype.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good one to watch ...

Thanks for posting it - it's a nice summary of the level of bullshit going on. As an early adopter, I would add that it is still acceptable to enjoy the progression of driving automation and even the "someday" possibilities of full self driving while simultaneously realizing that fundamental safety flaws will exist for years to come. Maybe even a decade. Our Rivians will likely be "old beaters" before it matters!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks for posting it - it's a nice summary of the level of bullshit going on. As an early adopter, I would add that it is still acceptable to enjoy the progression of driving automation and even the "someday" possibilities of full self driving while simultaneously realizing that fundamental safety flaws will exist for years to come. Maybe even a decade. Our Rivians will likely be "old beaters" before it matters!
It sure is and my only hope is that Rivian stays on pace with the rest of the industry.
Fortunately they don't need it to be nearly as much of a selling point as it was for Tesla.

·
Registered
640 Posts
It sure is and my only hope is that Rivian stays on pace with the rest of the industry.
Fortunately they don't need it to be nearly as much of a selling point as it was for Tesla.
With how much Amazon has invested in autonomous driving I don't think that's going to be a problem.

·
Registered
R1S Adventure package 20 inch black wheels
9 Posts
I believe the amazon trucks will share the same platform as Rivian’s passenger trucks (and cars). And I suspect the Amazon vans will be traveling every road that there is, getting to every house that there is.
On Musk’s promises, Tesla is operating at level 2-3 autonomy now. They’ve been taking people’s money for over 3 years for fully autonomous function (level 5). This ain’t happening anytime soon. He even had to address customers that have bought the autonomous option so long ago they’re asking if the credit can be taken to their next Tesla (the answer was a no).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the amazon trucks will share the same platform as Rivian’s passenger trucks (and cars). And I suspect the Amazon vans will be traveling every road that there is, getting to every house that there is.
On Musk’s promises, Tesla is operating at level 2-3 autonomy now. They’ve been taking people’s money for over 3 years for fully autonomous function (level 5). This ain’t happening anytime soon. He even had to address customers that have bought the autonomous option so long ago they’re asking if the credit can be taken to their next Tesla (the answer was a no).

·
Registered
640 Posts
Like @CommodoreAmiga pointed out, Tesla is at Level 2 autonomy.

"City Streets continues to firmly root the vehicle in SAE Level 2 capability and does not make it autonomous under the DMV’s definition," wrote Eric Williams, Tesla associate general counsel, in a statement attached to an email with the California DMV. "City Streets’ capabilities with respect to the object and event detection and response (OEDR) sub-task are limited, as there are circumstances and events to which the system is not capable of recognizing or responding."

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Came across this in one of the Rivian Facebook groups, someone reached out to Rivian about their autonomous driving system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts