Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's understandable that with a new start up there can be unforeseen delays. But I think that it would be more in understanding if RIVIAN was more upfront with with its Preorder holders, and sharing the reason for delays. I would like to think that some of the delays are a result of new technology and upgrades being implemented. Or improvement to the available options list.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
220 Posts
Or the fact they are building an entire new plant to make these vehicles. Maybe a supplier of parts was delayed. Maybe they found issues with the paint process. Maybe maybe maybe. It doesn't matter why they delay its delayed. They will deliver it when they feel it is ready.

People need to think about what is involved with getting a vehicle into your driveway. Paint, wheels, tires, batteries, motors, suspension, glass, the list goes on and on and doesn't include the process to get those parts from A-B or the safety testing that takes place with a vehicle. Its is hard enough for a well established brand to deliver a brand new model from a new plant let alone a new company.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Add a global pandemic, massive labor challenges and systemic supply chain shortages for commodities like steel - oh and high tech components like chips. Jam a couple of container ships into canals to prevent global trade and you have yourself a handsome delay across ALL industries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, everyone getting a Launch Edition will forget about the delays when reviewing a great vehicle that lives up to its promises, but ANY failure will quickly get thrown up the flagpole. The first experiences will play a HUGE role in the success of this company, and that will be even more true if they are considering going public soon. Delays are an easy decision. Personally, I'd expect that any "delivery month" that starts without specific delivery dates known will likely get pushed again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Althought I don't expect to see my R1S until maybe late next spring or early summer, I'm getting a little squirrelly, and agree that all the priviously mentioned factors are legitimate reasons for production and delivery delays. And it would be understandable if coming directly from RJ's own mouth. This would eliminate the poor speculation and press reports or the lack thereof!

·
Registered
R1S LE in LE Green (8/14/2019 Preorder)
190 Posts
Also, everyone getting a Launch Edition will forget about the delays when reviewing a great vehicle that lives up to its promises, but ANY failure will quickly get thrown up the flagpole. The first experiences will play a HUGE role in the success of this company, and that will be even more true if they are considering going public soon. Delays are an easy decision. Personally, I'd expect that any "delivery month" that starts without specific delivery dates known will likely get pushed again.
You bring up an interesting point relative to the IPO—is there an effort to delay getting out product on the chance that it will meet with problems and decrease the value of the IPO when they can do the IPO based on hype alone? Better to get the deal done before releasing product on the off chance that reality will diminish the shine on the company? I hope not. Three years of waiting puts me in the optimistic category. But your comment makes me pause and wonder.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You bring up an interesting point relative to the IPO—is there an effort to delay getting out product on the chance that it will meet with problems and decrease the value of the IPO when they can do the IPO based on hype alone? Better to get the deal done before releasing product on the off chance that reality will diminish the shine on the company? I hope not. Three years of waiting puts me in the optimistic category. But your comment makes me pause and wonder.
I think if they try to IPO before they start delivering product the IPO will be a failure. They will need to show they are delivering product, and more than a couple of hundred units, to get the value they are looking for.

Speaking for myself, I will probably invest but not if I have questions about product deliveries and production ramp up volumes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think if they try to IPO before they start delivering product the IPO will be a failure. They will need to show they are delivering product, and more than a couple of hundred units, to get the value they are looking for.

Speaking for myself, I will probably invest but not if I have questions about product deliveries and production ramp up volumes.
I agree with you on timing. I think they want to ensure a great product regardless of whether or not it is before or after IPO. I worry more about a malfunctioning part with an owner stranded off grid than production ramp up. Production can always increase. A PR nightmare can be tough to recover from. A lot is riding on this (no pun intended). There is a huge opportunity to be first and best in this segment, but best is way better than first. And as it happens, still plenty of time to be both. People are antsy, sure, but what are you going to jump ship to?

It’s a lot of new tech and a new company and new production. I’d rather Santa come on Jan 1 than to get stuck in the chimney on the 25th of December.

·
Registered
R1S LE in LE Green (8/14/2019 Preorder)
190 Posts

I hope you are right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.