Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some support from the Rivian Community.

Paid in full for my R1T Launch Edition on Monday March 21 with an expected delivery of 1pm on Thursday March 24th. As many of you can imagine the level of excited and anticipation was off the charts.

Thursday arrives and I power up from my phone after my plane touches down from a work trip only to see a message from Rivian saying “Your Rivian delivery is canceled.” A follow up message from my Guide says
--------------------------------------
Hey _,
Some tough news this morning. I tried to give you a call but was sent to voicemail. I know you are so excited to get the vehicle and we want to get it to you as quick as we can. With that said we thought the vehicle was 100% ready to roll and it turns out there is an issue with the 12v system. This should be a quick repair and will have a better idea by this Friday. I am happy to speak over the phone if you like, just give me a ring.

Your personal Sherpa,

--------------------------------------------

After talking to my Guide I learn he knew about the cancelation the day before but was too busy to contact me so I get the bad news the morning of. My Guide has no explanation of the problem and no plan for getting me my truck. I remind my Guide that I paid in full with the expectation of delivery March 24th at 1pm so my R1T is now essentially in for service so I would like a loaner. Guide tells me he is escalating the situation. No word from Guide for hours until I call Main Customer Service. Ask again for a loaner. Guide says he is working on it. Guide calls later in the day and tells me a loaner is available. It’s a F150 I need to pickup 30 minutes from my house. I inform Guide I meant a R1T loaner not an ICE vehicle. Remind Guide I have paid in full for my truck with expectations (set by Rivian) of March 24th at 1pm. I tell Guide I am essentially giving Rivian a loan at 0% interest. I explain to Guide I had a weekend planned with the R1T (like many new owners would). Guide tells me they will not be giving me a R1T loaner and they do not have an explanation of what is wrong with my truck. I ask Guide if I can speak to his manager. Guide says yes, and they will call me together in 20 minutes. No word from Guide or Rivian.

Frustrated,
BG

·
Registered
514 Posts
You're an early adopter. Early adopters must be prepared to be temporarily disappointed because a relatively high percentage of cars are going to have issues that are found upon final inspection and need to be fixed. Doesn't make it less frustrating but you just gotta be patient, sit back and have a drink, and watch a calming nature video.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're an early adopter. Early adopters must be prepared to be temporarily disappointed because a relatively high percentage of cars are going to have issues that are found upon final inspection and need to be fixed. Doesn't make it less frustrating but you just gotta be patient, sit back and have a drink, and watch a calming nature video.
hahha, thanks man. I'm wound up over this. Tried working out and meditation. Had big plans to finally get behind the wheel of MY R1T (-;

Hoping for some good news tomorrow.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
324 Posts
I understand your disappointment but Rivian offered you a F-150 loaner. Okay they probably should have offered that from the get go and not after you escalate the situation but I think that was a very reasonable solution. It's a new product, it's not like they will have a bunch of R1Ts seating around.

But you paid for the car and have the right to complain. I can imagine how frustrating it's with all the excitement and expectations.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
71 Posts
Disappointing, absolutely, but certainly Rivian has put the effort forth to ensure that you are accommodated.

Comparing it to the ongoing fiasco with Tesla and the Model X, where there are those who paid, then had their VIN pulled and either had to wait for another to be assigned or are still waiting. During this time, Tesla drags their feet to reverse the transaction.

In all, I hope that they can fix the problems and get to delivering you your vehicle. It's better to take delivery of something that's working than to have to drag it back for repairs after the fact.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Rivian Community,

Thanks for all the feedback. It honestly helped. “Chill Pill” has officially been taken. Sleeping another night and getting feedback from you call has calmed me down (some). Still bummed since everything else had been falling into place, and I was all set to take my Launch Green R1T on some local excursions this weekend.

Will keep you posted on outcome.
BG

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Rivian Community,

Thanks for all the feedback. It honestly helped. “Chill Pill” has officially been taken. Sleeping another night and getting feedback from you call has calmed me down (some). Still bummed since everything else had been falling into place, and I was all set to take my Launch Green R1T on some local excursions this weekend.

Will keep you posted on outcome.
BG
Similar situation.... my delivery has been delayed twice. Initially it was 3/18. It's now anticipated to be this Sunday 3/27. Interest from my bank started back on the 14th. I've had multiple explanations of what's being addressed. In short I think my Guide hit the nail on the head. The QC guys need to be looking at these vehicles sooner than the day before delivery. My guess is they are overwhelmed. But still - promising a delivery date prior to final inspection of the vehicles seems to be a recipe for pissed off clients.

It's a first world problem. Maybe this will help you chill some more. In 2017 we took delivery of a Model X. Got on the road within 24 hours to taking delivery to visit family 12 hours away. Within about the first 20 miles the driver side window would break it's seal and literally flap in the wind. I thought for sure the window was going to break. We re-routed our trip to drive by the closest Tesla service center. Within an hour they did have us back on the road in a BMW. Tesla kept our MX for another week after we returned. It was a huge disappointment. But 5 years later I'm happy we bought the X. I'm confident the R1T will have similar early adoption issues. But I'm also confident I'm gonna be way happier in the R1T than I am with my current PU Truck.

Bottom line. Gotta be patient. The migration from ICE to Electric is gonna have some pain.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure, El Cap, Blk Mtn, 22” Sport, Delivered 4/2/22
12 Posts
Hey @omamatt, I see that you traded in a Mustang Mach-E for the the R1T. What was your experience like with the MME?
Great car. It was what they call ‘job 1’ in Ford world. Had a great ride except for certain conditions causing it to be very bouncy. As for OTA it needed to go in as one failed and stopped all remaining updates. Fun little car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts