Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I don’t usually post much, but I’m a bit frustrated and thought I’d see if anyone else has a similar experience. I am a 11/20 R1S preorder who has been pushed back to Feb-March ‘23. That’s been fine as I am lumped with a lot of others and there are plenty of people who have waited longer. I was assigned a guide a little over 1 week ago and had our first call last Friday, the 13th. On that call I asked if I can get any better timing estimate and was told still Feb-March. On Tuesday, after MLK day, I received the 8-steps. I started filling it out and entered the trade in vehicle, my wife’s well-loved minivan. They told me it takes up to 24 hrs to get an offer, which it did. Wednesday night I got an acceptable offer. Then Thursday AM at 9:40, I get a text that I can pick up the R1S at the factory on Saturday 1/21 at 2pm. I go into overdrive (while i am still at work) and get financing approved as well as documentation of the insurance. I have to go to the credit union after work at 6pm to sign the papers and get the cashiers check. That puts us into Friday. That AM I reach out to the guide and ask if I need to overnight the check or simple send it regular speed via UPS and provide the tracking #. I am told that it is urgent to get it sent overnight and enter the tracking # by 3pm. Again, I’m at work so I have to run out at lunch to ship it, which I do at 12:50pm. I enter the info into my 8-steps and it says 8/8 complete. Everything is signed, I feel pretty happy that I’ve rescheduled my son’s tennis lesson, arranged for the dogs to be taken care of, and everything is primed for this delivery in such a short time. I clean out the minivan and take it to get washed and detailed, Then the unforeseen happens: I receive a call indicating the tracking number isn’t working. I upload a copy of the receipt with the tracking info and even forward the UPS email with the info to the guide. Time passes. Now I get a call around 5pm that it is still not working, so I call UPS. I am told that the tracking number becomes active after the courier picked up the package from the UPS Store, which happens at 6pm. I email the guide who says she will check in the AM (on delivery day). Then I get the cancelled appointment email, I emailed a few more times asking if the tracking number works in the AM, as UPS indicated, and the check arrives by noon (the time promised by UPS), if the delivery can still happen...<crickets>….
so it’s almost 6 am and I’m wondering if I will be making this drive today to the factory (about 180 miles each way) or if I will be postponed for another week (I can’t make that drive during the week because of work) and why I had to bust my butt (not the word I would normally use) to make this all happen with almost no lead time by Rivian. BTW, the tracking number is working and indicates the check will be in Rivian’s hands in Palo Alto by noon.

· Registered
503 Posts
Hey gang, I don’t usually post much, but I’m a bit frustrated and thought I’d see if anyone else has a similar experience. I am a 11/20 R1S preorder who has been pushed back to Feb-March ‘23. That’s been fine as I am lumped with a lot of others and there are plenty of people who have waited longer. I was assigned a guide a little over 1 week ago and had our first call last Friday, the 13th. On that call I asked if I can get any better timing estimate and was told still Feb-March. On Tuesday, after MLK day, I received the 8-steps. I started filling it out and entered the trade in vehicle, my wife’s well-loved minivan. They told me it takes up to 24 hrs to get an offer, which it did. Wednesday night I got an acceptable offer. Then Thursday AM at 9:40, I get a text that I can pick up the R1S at the factory on Saturday 1/21 at 2pm. I go into overdrive (while i am still at work) and get financing approved as well as documentation of the insurance. I have to go to the credit union after work at 6pm to sign the papers and get the cashiers check. That puts us into Friday. That AM I reach out to the guide and ask if I need to overnight the check or simple send it regular speed via UPS and provide the tracking #. I am told that it is urgent to get it sent overnight and enter the tracking # by 3pm. Again, I’m at work so I have to run out at lunch to ship it, which I do at 12:50pm. I enter the info into my 8-steps and it says 8/8 complete. Everything is signed, I feel pretty happy that I’ve rescheduled my son’s tennis lesson, arranged for the dogs to be taken care of, and everything is primed for this delivery in such a short time. I clean out the minivan and take it to get washed and detailed, Then the unforeseen happens: I receive a call indicating the tracking number isn’t working. I upload a copy of the receipt with the tracking info and even forward the UPS email with the info to the guide. Time passes. Now I get a call around 5pm that it is still not working, so I call UPS. I am told that the tracking number becomes active after the courier picked up the package from the UPS Store, which happens at 6pm. I email the guide who says she will check in the AM (on delivery day). Then I get the cancelled appointment email, I emailed a few more times asking if the tracking number works in the AM, as UPS indicated, and the check arrives by noon (the time promised by UPS), if the delivery can still happen...<crickets>….
so it’s almost 6 am and I’m wondering if I will be making this drive today to the factory (about 180 miles each way) or if I will be postponed for another week (I can’t make that drive during the week because of work) and why I had to bust my butt (not the word I would normally use) to make this all happen with almost no lead time by Rivian. BTW, the tracking number is working and indicates the check will be in Rivian’s hands in Palo Alto by noon.
Just curious, why could you not bring the check with you to the delivery? That is what I am expecting to do.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They instructed me to send it to the corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, CA. I don’t really know why I couldn’t have hand delivered it…
The good news is that I received a call this AM and was given the green light, so I ended up making the drive and picking up the vehicle. It is every bit as awesome as everyone says! A big shout out to Ben who led us on a factory tour and Edward who did the walk through! They were great!
I don’t know why the drama of the past 24 hrs, but it all worked out. Just a heads up: if you use a credit union who cuts you a check, you might want to overnight it to Rivian 2 days before getting the vehicle.

· Registered
R1S LE in LE Green & Forest Edge (8/14/2019 Preorder) Oct-Dec 2022 Arrival
235 Posts
You are right. People have been waiting two years longer than you and don’t want to hear your whining.

· Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar issue, but I was able to sort it all out. I switched the config to an R1T shop config, thinking it'd be ready in 6-8 weeks. After I confirmed it said ready for deliver Tuesday. It was the Friday before a holiday weekend. I get everything sorted with the delivery team. Then Saturday morning the guide, whom I've never met cancels the delivery.

This is further complicated by my pickup situation. A neighbor happened to have an R1T in the shop and it was going to be ready for pickup Tuesday. I wasn't trading anything in and the pickup is 2 hours away so this was an awesome coincidence. Wasn't sure everything was set until Tuesday morning at 9:30 am, we were planning on leaving at 10. Insurance was the main problem. The thing they needed wasn't available from my insurer until the morning of, when the insurance was active. Even though I provided documentation of everything they asked for. Just wasn't the format they wanted.

Got the truck, not everything was ready though. Still waiting on some items to be shipped to me. It was a weird feeling like being pushed by delivery, then being told wait by the guide. Clearly have some issues to sort out across different teams.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
They instructed me to send it to the corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, CA. I don’t really know why I couldn’t have hand delivered it…
The good news is that I received a call this AM and was given the green light, so I ended up making the drive and picking up the vehicle. It is every bit as awesome as everyone says! A big shout out to Ben who led us on a factory tour and Edward who did the walk through! They were great!
I don’t know why the drama of the past 24 hrs, but it all worked out. Just a heads up: if you use a credit union who cuts you a check, you might want to overnight it to Rivian 2 days before getting the vehicle.
They don't want to hand over a truck in exchange for a piece of paper, the check. they want the funds from a cleared check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts