Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Should the ordering process be hands-on or hands-off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m an early adopter of most things, and am awaiting delivery of my R1T after ordering in May 2019. So I’m a fan.

However…
I’ve owned multiple Tesla’s and just recently purchased a Model Y for our family. To do so, I clicked a few buttons on their website, then was switched to the app and uploaded a few docs. 3 weeks later the Y was delivered and it only took about 20 mins to pick it up. All in, the process might have taken 1 hour of time.

Contrast that with Rivian:
I’ve spent at least an hour on chat over the past few months trying to figure out when I might get a guide assigned - so that i could make plans to sell my existing car and arrange financing/insurance, etc. As well all know, those chats were useless.

Once I had a guide, it took me about 25 text messages and few emails to coordinate my introductory call. The call s supposed to be 45 minutes… for what? The call actually took about 20 mins and was really just to confirm my order details and then the guide started trying to convince me that electric cars are the future. He even told me a story about how he was skeptical at first but has been converted. Why was the story telling necessary, why is the call necessary at all?

From there I waited a few days for a fairly janky delivery of the Preliminary Buyers Agreement via email links that felt a bit like DocuSign with Rivian branding. The docs then get emailed to me in a zip file which I can download. This seems like 2015 tech.

Now, I’m waiting again. No estimate of when the next step occurs…

The point I’m getting at here is that if Rivian is to deliver 25,000 trucks this year they need to to seriously streamline this process. I realize they are just getting going and have had delays, but the reasons given were product related - not customer interaction processes. The delays in product timing should have been used to find a way to deliver the product as quickly as possible once it was ready. This process is flawed In my opinion.

1. How many Guides does it take to spend hours with each of the 75,000 pre-order holders?
2. How much capital does that take?
3. Why is this process mandatory? I would think most early adopters have all the info they need to sign a buying document - through the app, in a integrated process - without hand holding. The real goal of direct to consumer should be to streamline the sales process, not make it the same but different.
4. Why is it so hard to simply provide a delivery time line include of the necessary steps? i.e. Sign this, and then 2 weeks later this, happens, and then this.

Again, I’m a fan. the truck is amazing, and I can’t wait to get mine! But RIVN is going to be in 30’s for a looooong time if they don’t speed up and improve the enitre delivery process.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I’m an early adopter of most things, and am awaiting delivery of my R1T after ordering in May 2019. So I’m a fan.

However…
I’ve owned multiple Tesla’s and just recently purchased a Model Y for our family. To do so, I clicked a few buttons on their website, then was switched to the app and uploaded a few docs. 3 weeks later the Y was delivered and it only took about 20 mins to pick it up. All in, the process might have taken 1 hour of time.

I’ve spent at least an hour on chat over the past few months trying to figure out when I might get a guide assigned - so that i could make plans to sell my existing car and arrange financing/insurance, etc. As well all know, those chats were useless.

Once I had a guide, it took me about 25 text messages and few emails to coordinate my introductory call. The call s supposed to be 45 minutes… for what? The call actually took about 20 mins and was really just to confirm my order details and then the guide started trying to convince me that electric cars are the future. He even told me a story about how he was skeptical at first but has been converted. Why was the story telling necessary, why is the call necessary at all?

From there I waited a few days for a fairly janky delivery of the Preliminary Buyers Agreement via email links that felt a bit like DocuSign with Rivian branding. The docs then get emailed to me in a zip file which I can download. This seems like 2015 tech.

The point I’m getting at here is that if Rivian is to deliver 25,000 trucks this year they need to to seriously streamline this process. I realize they are just getting going and have had delays, but the reasons given were product related - not customer interaction processes. The delays in product timing should have been used to find a way to deliver the product as quickly as possible once it was ready. This process is flawed In my opinion.

1. How many Guides does it take to spend hours with each of the 75,000 pre-order holders?
3. Why is this process mandatory? I would think most early adopters have all the info they need to sign a buying document - through the app, in a integrated process - without hand holding. The real goal of direct to consumer should be to streamline the sales process, not make it the same but different.
4. Why is it so hard to simply provide a delivery time line include of the necessary steps? i.e. Sign this, and then 2 weeks later this, happens, and then this.

Again, I’m a fan. the truck is amazing, and I can’t wait to get mine! But RIVN is going to be in 30’s for a looooong time if they don’t speed up and improve the enitre delivery process.
I agree the process as described is a bit complicated and I suspect it will smooth out and speed up as time goes on.

Rivian plans on producing approximately 15,000 R1s and is committed to Amazon to deliver 10,000 EDVs. Also, the last reporting had the pre orders at 83,000.

Parts supply has clearly been publicly communicated by Rivian to be the limiter for production with battery supply warning. My point is that with trickle production for the foreseeable future Rivian has enough guides. There are also a bag full of possible reasons for the slow delivery.

I too am a big Rivian fan that thinks they are doing the best they can controlling what they can control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mostly agree. My R1T is scheduled for delivery May 5. The process was unnecessarily complicated, and the 8 steps were not all that simple. For instance my financing got really screwed up because you need info from the lender before you make selections on the Rivian site but then I needed info from Rivian before I could move forward with my lender. Was a Catch22.

My guide is a nice kid, but he's basically a human tube through which info and paper are passed. Every question I asked he had to go find out and get back to me later. He did get me all the answers and solve some issues but I was left wondering what the point of the dedicated guides really is. The customer service chat they had before worked just fine and could have done all the things my guide did.

Hopefully they'll figure this stuff out. Even more hopefully the truck is more fully formed. (Half joking.)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah the high-touch stuff worries me too. But then again, the Tesla comparison is unfair wrt stage of company. I'm sure Tesla was less hands-on as Rivian is now at the same stage, but then again, it's not comparable because that was the stupid Roadster and now we're talking about trucks and SUVs, which are wayyyyy more important on the consumer landscape. Apples and Oranges, too many variables to make a rational comparison. I just hope RIVN learns their inefficiencies early (like, Now!) to control costs and customer expectations when things need to scale up in earnest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like we are on the same page. I suspect the reason for the extra in person discussions is related to the PR problem they encountered with the price hike business. They may also just be learning what we are all worried about to try getting a handle on being efficient at the same time as not pissing anybody off (assuming this is possible). In the end this is small stuff compared to dealing with the circular supply chain shenannigans RJ is describing, withholding orders because of a lack of a track record.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like we are on the same page. I suspect the reason for the extra in person discussions is related to the PR problem they encountered with the price hike business. They may also just be learning what we are all worried about to try getting a handle on being efficient at the same time as not pissing anybody off (assuming this is possible). In the end this is small stuff compared to dealing with the circular supply chain shenannigans RJ is describing, withholding orders because of a lack of a track record.
No parts, no R1. Everything else is noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I got a Tesla Model 3 Performance in the Fall of 2018, the delivery experience was terrible. I had to wait forever at the delivery center and there was chaos and confusion. Things were missing on the car and in the car. That part made me miss BMW but driving afterwards did not.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Rivian sounds like an upgrade from Tesla where you couldn't and still can't actually talk to someone about orders. With Tesla, everything worked great until it didn't and then it was a mess as there was no one there to fix mistakes. Having people to talk to even if they have to get back to you bodes well for Rivian.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Mostly agree with all of this also. I think the guide's were also likely given the mandate that the LE customers are going to be representing the first real voice of Rivian out on the street, and that first impressions are everything, and that they need to get to know their most enthusiastic, risk taking customers well, and do a little extra hand-holding - especially b/c there are certainly going to be glitches with 1st deliveries of any new product. Rivian also seems to be taking a lot of extra care and attention as they work through an entirely new process for an entirely new type of EV. Rivian. I would say they are trying as hard as possible NOT to act like a commodity OEM company as they build their brand. No doubt that they stumbled and tripped along the way to this point, but to their credit, they have tried to fix things and admitted when they were wrong. That goes a long way for many early adopters, and given that they have been willing to demonstrate this already, the process for acquiring the trucks will surely be streamlined. Keep in mind that they have also been trying to help LE customers keep the faith going since 2018, and we are just now at the delivery tipping point.

·
Registered
237 Posts

However…

You're not wrong, but they're in a learning process. My first Tesla was long and arduous, I spent nearly 2 hours at the local service center. My second and third Tesla was quicker, 30 minutes at the service center but still days of back and forth paperwork - via docusign. This was 4 & 5 years after Tesla started mass producing.

It wasn't until my 4th Tesla where the process was streamlined. This was 7 years after Tesla started producing the Model S...

I intend to give them the same patience I gave Tesla. However it is unfortunate they can't learn from others and have to learn from experience though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had just the opposite experience. When I received the email saying that Ocean Coast interior was going to be delayed, I immediately changed my configuration. I had ordered my Canyon Red with Ocean Coast interior on Nov 29th, 2018. Delivery was to be April/May.

My guide finally emailed me late April. It took a week to finally talk to Hilary. I explained that I would like to change my truck's configuration in order to get it as soon as possible. I gave her several color options that I would settle for. Within a week, she found me a truck that I liked and delivery is scheduled for May 13th. I am busy with the forms as we speak. No issues so far. I presume because I am a cash buyer with no trade in, that I got lucky.

I also have a Tesla Model Y that I had ordered and waited and waited. Finally around Oct 2020, I went into a Tesla service center and asked what was going on, as I hadn't heard and I had been waiting almost a year. The guy looked up my order and said, your car was ready in June and we sent you a text. When I didn't respond they sold my Y to someone else. I asked what number the sent the text to, and he told me to a number that happens to be a land line and can't receive texts! Anyway, the found me another one and luckily it was late November, and they registered it as a 2021 model.

So after nearly 3 years and 6 months, I am finally getting my Rivian. I do have a VIN and am celebrating it with some VINo that I bought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

My sentiments, exactly!
Sorry about that process - and your impacts based on their guidance. Delivery timing definitely needs attention from Rivian. I got word on May 4 that my paperwork was ready (but no expected delivery date), so I loaded all the docs and sent in payment (still no delivery updated... and I had paid in FULL). Then today, quite amazingly, I got word that it might be ready for delivery tomorrow? How can they not know in Mid April that they will deliver the truck in the first week of May?

Screenshot of the convo below (I covered up my guide's
Green Font Rectangle Screenshot Software

name).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.